• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Addressing editorial changes

Ellis Clover

watching The Office again
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Last month one of my short stories was accepted by a small literary magazine for (my first!) publication; tonight, I've received their editing requests (nothing structural, just a couple of questions of clarity) and a 'slightly revised' version of my piece to track changes on.

Put simply - I'm reeling. My story has been butchered, which sounds dramatic but isn't, I'm almost sure. (Help?) From the first line - where 'stripes' has been inexplicably (and incorrectly) changed to 'strips' - it's been reshaped and rewritten, to the point where I barely recognise my work anymore. I certainly have no intention of putting my name to it.

To give you an idea, here are some 'original vs revised' lines:

ORIGINAL:
Her grey skirt rustles again as she stands up. ‘She’s fine.’ There’s definitely a thunderstorm, I wasn’t imagining it – the boom of her boot heels on the hardwood floor – because I’m not fine, my knee’s not a mountain and it’s not spring yet, it’s too cold.

REVISED:
When she stands her grey skirt rustles. 'She's fine.'

The thunderstorm is the boom of her boot heels on the hardwood floor.

ORIGINAL:
I have only my skin these days – my soft, useless skin, the wrapper around everything that’s useless about me – and I cherish my scars.

REVISED:
I have only my skin these days. Soft and useless. I cherish my scars.

ORIGINAL:
I’d forgotten it still looked raw, the bloodied cut marks black in the failing sunlight, like initials carved in a tree.

REVISED:
I'd forgotten how it looked, the cut marks black like initials carved into a tree.

ORIGINAL:
The hinges gave a friendly creak as he flipped the lid open.

REVISED:
He pulled out the First Aid kit and unclipped it.

ORIGINAL:
Whenever it rains around sunrise I can almost believe he’s out there still, I can sometimes see his face in that pearly new horizon.

REVISED:
Whenever it rains I can almost believe he's out there still. I can sometimes see his face on the pearly horizon.

ORIGINAL:
Its old-time romance makes my whole body open towards it, even on the inside, where I’m squeezed down into the tiniest, most hideable version of myself.

REVISED:
Its old-time romance makes my body open towards it, even on the inside where I hide.

There are a number of more substantial changes too, but I didn't want to post too-big chunks.

I write for a living, I don't have golden word syndrome. But bottom line, for me: all the flow, the lyricism and the voice has been stripped out of this story. I honestly don't understand what they 'loved' about it when they've barely kept any of what made it 'evocative and impressionistic' and 'wonderfully unique in style' (their words)?

Is this a normal line-editing treatment?

Please note: I'm prepared to accept that it is. (As an as-yet unpublished writer I'm fully aware there's a tough, ego-bruising learning curve ahead.) But I'm pretty sure I've read here on AW that editors suggest changes, rather than jump in and make them without consultation...?

And what are my options here? Although I've accepted their offer of publication, am I entitled to withdraw the story now that I've seen what they want to do to it?

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Oof. Yeah, I'd be pretty unhappy, too. I'd probably be inclined to politely stet everything and send it back, then see how they responded.

And what are my options here? Although I've accepted their offer of publication, am I entitled to
withdraw the story now that I've seen what they want to do to it?

Do you have a contract? What does it say? If your agreement was less formal, was it at least in writing?

Underdawg47

Registered
Reaction score
Seems like they should have allowed you to see the editorial changes before you accepted their offer to be published. That is kinda like painting a picture only to see that they have defaced it and then want you to add your name to it.

Ellis Clover

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Liz. No contract as such. The 'terms of acceptance' (sent via email/Submittable) laid out a payment amount, and what they were purchasing - first publication rights and right to archive online. No mention of the editing process was made until today (though of course I knew there'd be edits). What I didn't expect was a rewrite!

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Sadly, I'm a bundle of anxiety and waiting for their response to such impertinence would make me physically ill. Ha/sob!

:) Tbf I don't know that it'd be any more impertinent than what they did to you.

Let me ask you: what's your goal here? Are you willing to refuse to have it published with their changes? Are there any of their modifications you thought were all right?

In lieu of a single global "stet," I'd suggest you write back to the editor and tell them, professionally but frankly, that you're uncomfortable with the scope of their changes. You can either offer a compromise ("I am willing to make X changes, but not Y, and will deliver you a revision by Z date" or some such language), or you can draw the line here: if they aren't willing to publish your original work, you must regretfully withdraw your piece from their magazine.

If they fight you on that, get a lawyer to look at the agreement.

And I'm sorry, Ellis Clover. To be hit with this on your first offer of pub really stinks.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
I started this thread a while back about a similar issue. General consensus: No, it shouldn't be done this way.

(Note: the thread is in Conquering Challenges, so it's password protected, but you can find the password on the main page)

Elle.

Registered
Reaction score
That's not good and I'm sorry you have to go through that on your first acceptance. Like others I never had to deal with anything like, it's always been "we would like to publish your story with those changes" but there always were minors changes and not a rewrite like this and the process was a straightforward "yes I'm happy with those but can we keep this because of XY reason."

I agree with Harlequin I'm not sure why they accepted it if they planned to change it so much. Once you know how much they are set on the changes it's question of are you happy to change your story to be published with them or do you want to keep the vision you had for your story and have it published somewhere else.

Ellis Clover

Registered
Reaction score
Let me ask you: what's your goal here? Are you willing to refuse to have it published with their changes? Are there any of their modifications you thought were all right?

Honestly - no? That sounds obnoxious, but the entire mood and tone of the story has been ripped up and relaid.

Getting my story back, and placing it somewhere it will be treated with respect - or never placing it at all - would make me *much* happier than seeing, essentially, an editorial team's work published with my name on it.

In lieu of a single global "stet," I'd suggest you write back to the editor and tell them, professionally but frankly, that you're uncomfortable with the scope of their changes. You can either offer a compromise ("I am willing to make X changes, but not Y, and will deliver you a revision by Z date" or some such language), or you can draw the line here: if they aren't willing to publish your original work, you must regretfully withdraw your piece from their magazine.

I've just sent an email along those lines. Thanks for your advice, lizmonster.

Last edited:

Ellis Clover

Registered
Reaction score
I started this thread a while back about a similar issue. General consensus: No, it shouldn't be done this way.

(Note: the thread is in Conquering Challenges, so it's password protected, but you can find the password on the main page)

Thanks, LJD. You've helped firm up my own thoughts on this - much appreciated. (And I'm sorry you had that experience. I hope you ended up with the book you wanted?)

Ellis Clover

Registered
Reaction score
That's not good and I'm sorry you have to go through that on your first acceptance. Like others I never had to deal with anything like, it's always been "we would like to publish your story with those changes" but there always were minors changes and not a rewrite like this and the process was a straightforward "yes I'm happy with those but can we keep this because of XY reason."

I agree with Harlequin I'm not sure why they accepted it if they planned to change it so much. Once you know how much they are set on the changes it's question of are you happy to change your story to be published with them or do you want to keep the vision you had for your story and have it published somewhere else.

Thanks for your support, Elle. :)

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Have I got this right--the publisher's editor has made changes to your story? Because that's what it seems you've said, and that's just not on.

Editors do not make changes. They point out problems and suggest solutions, but it's up to the writer to then implement those changes--or not.

I would be very wary.

It depends how much you want this publication, I suppose. But in your position I would probably withdraw.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
And what are my options here? Although I've accepted their offer of publication, am I entitled to withdraw the story now that I've seen what they want to do to it?

Clearly they were editing with succinctness in mind, but they also stripped out much of the voice.

So you can refuse to accept the major changes and put them back the way they were, though maybe, just to be agreeable, let a few of the smaller, more insignificant ones slide. And if this is a word count issue, you can offer to slim it down yourself. Otherwise, it's your story and your name will be on it. If they won't take it more or less as is, then you're within your rights to withdraw it.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Seems like they should have allowed you to see the editorial changes before you accepted their offer to be published. That is kinda like painting a picture only to see that they have defaced it and then want you to add your name to it.
I think so, too.

That's not the way things usually work. A magazine or anthology offers publication and if you agree to their terms, then the editing process begins. (It's the same with book publishers.) However, if you're not in agreement with the editorial "suggestions," and they refuse to publish the story more or less as written, you're within your rights to withdraw the story. If they've already paid you, you return the money.

This happens with books, too. If the author reneges, they pay back the advance if they've already received it. If the publisher reneges, then the author generally keeps whatever monies have already been paid out.

At any rate, you are not locked in. If they won't take the story the way you wrote it, find another home for it.

Last edited:

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
So, if that were my story, I would be annoyed at best. And I would likely pull it. (Short story contracts are not usually the same beast as, say, a novel contract, because you are rarely paid upfront.)

I will add that what they have returned to you is not what you should expect from a standard edit. However, it is not the norm for any publisher to show you the edits *before* you sign a contract. (So, you are right to refuse this, but asking to seeing the changes beforehand is not really the way it would normally work.) Now, most editors will give you an idea of the kind of changes they have in mind. (I.E. "I want to clarify the action in this scene." Or, "Some of the dialog is heavyhanded and I'll want to polish it.") But they won't usually do the work of giving you detailed notes on what they want until there's an agreement for publication in place.

But, in this case, given the very broad extent of the changes I would thank them for their time, express your disappointment that the story you sent them doesn't appear to be the one they actually want to publish, and pull the story.

ETA: Crossposted with Beth S.

Last edited:

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Have I got this right--the publisher's editor has made changes to your story? Because that's what it seems you've said, and that's just not on.

Editors do not make changes. They point out problems and suggest solutions, but it's up to the writer to then implement those changes--or not.

I would be very wary.

It depends how much you want this publication, I suppose. But in your position I would probably withdraw.

+1 Agreeing with OH. It sounds to me that the editor didn't just "make changes"—which is egregious enough—but actually rewrote your story. Yes, you're entitled to withdraw and I would were it my story.

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
I had a nightmare situation where my "editor" made changes like this, and 90% of the changes were beyond asinine.

The final communication on the project had her snarking at me with "Have you ever even seen an author's first draft? And then seen the edited product?" Yeah, #@*&, I actually have. From actual professionals....

I'm digressing back into my own burning hatred, sorry. ;) Just trying to say that I've been there, and it SUCKS.

Ellis Clover

Registered
Reaction score
Clearly they were editing with succinctness in mind, but they also stripped out much of the voice.

So you can refuse to accept the major changes and put them back the way they were, though maybe, just to be agreeable, let a few of the smaller, more insignificant ones slide. And if this is a word count issue, you can offer to slim it down yourself. Otherwise, it's your story and your name will be on it. If they won't take it more or less as is, then you're within your rights to withdraw it.

Thanks, Beth. It's on the short side anyway - less than 2000 words - so I'd be surprised if the changes are length-related.

Ellis Clover

Registered
Reaction score

Yes, that's correct.

I want it as much as any writer wants their first publication, I suppose - I was beyond excited when the acceptance came through - but not this way.

Ellis Clover

Registered
Reaction score
So, if that were my story, I would be annoyed at best. And I would likely pull it. (Short story contracts are not usually the same beast as, say, a novel contract, because you are rarely paid upfront.)

I will add that what they have returned to you is not what you should expect from a standard edit. However, it is not the norm for any publisher to show you the edits *before* you sign a contract. (So, you are right to refuse this, but asking to seeing the changes beforehand is not really the way it would normally work.) Now, most editors will give you an idea of the kind of changes they have in mind. (I.E. "I want to clarify the action in this scene." Or, "Some of the dialog is heavyhanded and I'll want to polish it.") But they won't usually do the work of giving you detailed notes on what they want until there's an agreement for publication in place.

But, in this case, given the very broad extent of the changes I would thank them for their time, express your disappointment that the story you sent them doesn't appear to be the one they actually want to publish, and pull the story.

ETA: Crossposted with Beth S.

Thanks for your insight, Aggy B.

Ellis Clover

Registered
Reaction score
I had a nightmare situation where my "editor" made changes like this, and 90% of the changes were beyond asinine.

The final communication on the project had her snarking at me with "Have you ever even seen an author's first draft? And then seen the edited product?" Yeah, #@*&, I actually have. From actual professionals....

I'm digressing back into my own burning hatred, sorry. ;) Just trying to say that I've been there, and it SUCKS.

Haha, yep it's not the best feeling ever, that's for sure. Sorry to hear that happened to you.

One good thing is that I'm currently on an exotic holiday (if you can call the UK exotic :) ) so I'm not sitting around the house fretting. Thanks to all this helpful input I'm feeling perfectly at peace with the idea of withdrawing the story, if the journal won't budge on the changes.

Thanks so much, everybody.