Supernatural thrillers (and horror) - are they still popular?

MiniGoblin

Registered
Reaction score
Within a recent live Q&A, I asked a thriller author whether he would consider breaking into more supernatural elements (like Stephen King) in future stories. His answer was brief: "maybe."

However, he wasn't sure because, apparently, these type of books are not popular (or perhaps he meant not popular enough). I can't find much online at the moment to back this claim up, so I am hoping to get more thoughts on this here. As an aspiring author looking to write thriller/horror novels with supernatural elements, his response worried me somewhat.

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
Easy for me to say, but: Don't worry about it!

Here's why:

You should write what you want to write, what interests you. If you try and write for a market or what's popular, I suspect (a) it won't be your best work, and (b) by the time the book is published, whatever's popular will have changed.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I was reading that Netflixs are adapting Shirley Jackson's Haunting of Hill House. So sounds like there is a market to me! (I love Gothic lit).

MiniGoblin

Registered
Reaction score
Fair points.

I must say the author's feedback was surprising, but as he has published many books that have gone on to sell 100,000+ copies each I guess he has a bit of experience :)

CJSimone

Registered
Reaction score
Hi MiniGoblin,

I do think supernatural thrillers can be a tough sell right now (that's been the agent feedback I've heard some are getting), BUT it still makes sense to write what you're passionate about because 1) it will be more enjoyable and fulfilling to you, 2) there are successes, 3) what's hot is constantly changing and by the time you're ready to query, it could be the hot thing again.

Best to you!

CJ