What Just Hit Me? Need slang terms for simple blunt weaponry (particularly homemade)

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Having been inspired by the "sock full of rocks" thread, I've decided to write a picture book for adults that's basically a primer of interesting words for similar weapons. To give you an idea, the beginning of the first draft reads thusly:

What Just Hit Me?

What word do you use for a sock full of rocks?
And is it the same as a sock full of locks?

When rocking a rock sock, you call it a "sap,"
and knock it on noggins in need of a slap.

A sock full of locks can be used the same way,
but that means that "slock" is the word of the day.

Dry beans make a "beaner" to bean with panache,
and British rocks rock if you fancy a "cosh."

Here's the problem. I'm currently in the research phase, compiling lots of terms to find the ones that fit best WRT rhythm, flow, and overall neat-soundingness. I've found long lists of various sorts of blunt instruments (I LOVE the word "shillelagh"). However, I'm having trouble finding SLANG terms. A regular thesaurus search, for example, doesn't bring up "Beaner" or "slock," and they're both great, evocative words. I'd like the final work to be a mixture of slang and non-slang.

So I'm appealing to you writers of AW. What slang terms do you know for simple homemade weaponry? I'm only looking for blunt instruments (stuff in socks, of course, sticks, rocks, basically anything that would be used to whack someone over the head), and nothing racially/ethnically/etc. derogatory.

On a related note to this last point - a question for any Londonites out there. I found an interesting term for a tightly-folded newspaper used as a weapon: a Millwall Brick. According to Wikipedia, it was named after Millwall football fans, but there's no mention of whether there's a negative/derogatory connotation. Is there? (If so, I'll steer clear).

Last edited:

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Shiv
Knuckle sandwich

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Knuckle dusters -- not slang, per se, but commonnly used.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
LMAO at "clue by four!" Reminds me of "car-b-que" (referring to a car fire)

And "Cudgel" IS an awesome word. It's definitely going on the list.

This is all great stuff. Keep 'em coming!

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Pig sticker.
Poker.
Duster.
Stick.
Plank.

Everyday objects with a slang or layman name could be another angle.

Also, you might consider the methods and various associated phrases. Could be of use.

Examples:
Giv' yer a clip roun' the ol' ear'ole.
Giv' ya such a hidin' / whippin' / thumpin' / canin' / etc.
Clocked round the head.
Hog-tied.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Pig sticker.
Poker.
Duster.
Stick.
Plank.

Everyday objects with a slang or layman name could be another angle.

Also, you might consider the methods and various associated phrases. Could be of use.

Examples:
Giv' yer a clip roun' the ol' ear'ole.
Giv' ya such a hidin' / whippin' / thumpin' / canin' / etc.
Clocked round the head.
Hog-tied.

Ooh, good point. I'll need lots of synonyms for whacking someone on the head to keep the phrasing interesting!

Also, I just learned a new word: "knobkerrie." (word with origins in South Africa - a walking stick with a knob on the end). Love it!

Last edited:

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Box yer ears. (Literal meaning is allowable... :p)

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Rubber gun --- elastic band anchored to the tip of the extended index finger (barrel), then wrapped round behind the upright thumb (hammer), and held in place by little finger (trigger). Aim and release to fire.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Brolly -- slang for umbrella.

Bacchus

Registered
Reaction score
I always liked the word bludgeon for a club (can be a noun or a verb)

Slang-wise - lick o' the cat should provide rhyming ease (whipped with the "cat o' nine tails"), haymaker (a very hard punch), and one of my favourites - "beaned" (hit on the head)

ETA - never heard of Millwall Brick, sorry, but Millwall fans don't have a very savoury reputation

EaTA - "Glasgow Kiss" is a great bit of slang for a head-butt

Last edited:

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Boom stick.
Brainer.
I was going to say clue-by-four but Snitchcat beat me to it. :)

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Don't know if it's a term used for hitting people, but sport fishermen call the small club used for killing caught fish a 'priest'. Not religiously derogatory, AFAIK, but a play on the idea of giving the Last Rites, or sending the fish to Heaven.

(My dad's had markings along one side for checking if a fish was of legal length.)

Last edited:

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
On a related note to this last point - a question for any Londonites out there. I found an interesting term for a tightly-folded newspaper used as a weapon: a Millwall Brick. According to Wikipedia, it was named after Millwall football fans, but there's no mention of whether there's a negative/derogatory connotation. Is there? (If so, I'll steer clear).

Millwall football fans have a reputation. If you say "Millwall supporter" people immediately think of football hooliganism and that the person is someone they definitely don't want to get into a fight with. There are no connotations that I'm aware of beyond that. There's a section on their wikipedia page about the football hooliganism and why they have that reputation
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millwall_F.C.

ETA: if you want London/Estuary slang for someone who's very tough and strong and that you'd never want to get into a fight with, it's well 'ard (well hard - you can't say it with an h. If you pronounce your h's then you wouldn't use this phrase.) Like "don't mess with him, he's well 'ard" kind of thing. (or "don' mess wiv 'im, 'e's well 'ard" but I don't like overdoing the phonetics with dialect)

Last edited:

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
knuckle sandwich (punching someone in the mouth)

it's too early in the morning to think of any more but if i do I'll post them

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
An improvised weapon used by sailors in the days of sail was a capstan bar

Last edited:

AwP_writer

Registered
Reaction score
A "thumper" for a heavy wooden club. They're usually used more as a tool, but makes a dandy weapon.

BT Lamprey

Registered
Reaction score
Conker - Nut from a horse chestnut tree, often used by children to hit each other.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much everybody! It took days to nail down 300 words, but I have a completed first draft in hand, and I couldn't have done it without the wonderful suggestions here. You guys are the best!

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much everybody! It took days to nail down 300 words, but I have a completed first draft in hand, and I couldn't have done it without the wonderful suggestions here. You guys are the best!

Woohoo!

SYW soon? :D

Quinn_Inuit

Not a real eskimo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.steve-quinn.net
Millwall football fans have a reputation. If you say "Millwall supporter" people immediately think of football hooliganism and that the person is someone they definitely don't want to get into a fight with. There are no connotations that I'm aware of beyond that. There's a section on their wikipedia page about the football hooliganism and why they have that reputation
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millwall_F.C.

I learned about this recently in the news. I'm generally not a fan of hooliganism, but I have to admit it's not bullying when you're up against those odds. At that point, it's just berserking.