Georgia Voter Purge List

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I assume most people in Georgia know about the purge in 2017 that wiped 591,000 voters off the rolls. The Secretary of State, in response to the threat of a lawsuit by a journalist, released the names of the purged voters. It is now in a searchable database.

Considering that Georgia has a hotly contested Governor's race, it's worth checking the list if you live in GA, or passing the info along if you know people in the state.

Larry M

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I live in Texas and I check often to be sure we are still registered (myself, my wife, and our 18 y/o son, voting for the 1st time.) I don't trust the Republican controlled Texas government.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good point Elaine.

Apparently the new GOP tactic is to purge voter lists of anyone who didn't vote in the last election. That means every midterm election when less minorities and low income citizens vote, the GOP can dump thousands off the rolls before the next POTUS election.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I live in Texas and I check often to be sure we are still registered (myself, my wife, and our 18 y/o son, voting for the 1st time.) I don't trust the Republican controlled Texas government.

Yeah, don't trust them. My husband (not a Republican) tried, unsuccessfully, to register three times in our former county prior the presidential election (in plenty of time). They just kept having no record of him trying to register. He registered when he got his driver's license... nope. Called the office and then mailed back the completed form they sent him to register... nope. Went in person to get the form, fill it out, and hand it back... nope. He was not allowed to vote on election day.

Registering in our new state, he was required to state whether he'd ever been registered elsewhere and provide the voter ID, so he checked the TX database to see whether his registration ever did go through. It did. Two days after the election.

And just as salt in the wound, OK also initially ignored his wishes when he tried to register while getting his driver's license here.

ElaineA

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
heza, that story needs to get to someone in the media. I'd LOVE to see an investigation about how many people were placed on the rolls in the days after the election. ARGH, that is SO maddening!

Larry M

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Agree with Elaine. Heza, that's insanity; they interfered with his right to vote, like they're doing in Georgia.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think we have to fear the Russians interfering in our electoral process so much as we have to fear one of the two major political parties, and its führer doing so. They have already sowed the seeds of distrust in the electoral process. It would not shock me entirely if Bone Spurs does something crazy like invoke a state of emergency and postpone, or even cancel, the coming election. And the one after that. He is already on record as expressing admiration for China's President Xi, for having manipulated his system to effectively allow him to remain President-for-Life. Spurs thinks that is a capital idea.

So, ya gonna protest if that happens? Spurs also thinks protesting should be illegal.

caw

Last edited:

shadowsminder

writing in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowsinmind.carrd.co
Note to Georgians: Today (Monday) is the last day to register to vote in November! Reports are going through social media that the online registration site isn't working, so plan to visit your county elections office, if possible.

shadowsminder

writing in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowsinmind.carrd.co
Correction: The registration is Tuesday, October 9, this year.

I forget that government offices observe Columbus Day. Happy First Nations Day, fellow Americans!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was talking with my sister over the weekend. She lives in NJ. She and I rarely discuss politics, but she was deeply disturbed by the Kavanaugh confirmation. A long discussion ensued and she is adamant she is voting Democrat down the ticket. This morning I checked both of our voter registration and confirmed we're good to go and emailed her about it.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
We had a problem with my husband's voter registration going through here in Pennsylvania too. It was weird because the whole family (four adults) went into the DMV together to get new licenses when we moved, and all the updated voter registrations went through except for his. He went online and registered again after he couldn't vote in the primaries, but I guess I better have him print out his confirmation email from that in case they try to say again that it 'didn't go through'.

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
I support periodic purging of voter rolls - perhaps every 4-5 years. People who move shouldn't be registered to vote in 2 precincts. Ideally voters would be notified if they have been purged in case they are still eligible to vote.
I was purged years ago when we moved temporarily and rented our housewhile we were gone. I hadn't changed my drivers license so I was able to vote.

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
I believe Georgia has an open registration system- you don't register by party. So the people purging the rolls have no idea if they are purging Democrats, Republicans, or others.

shadowsminder

writing in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowsinmind.carrd.co
Georgia's voter roll purges are annual, aren't they? The figure of over a half million voters (10% of the rolls) is only from 2017. People who are purged for moving across town within the county have been forced to reapply, risking new registration problems. Possibliy 100,000 voter applications are unprocessed each year. (That last number is my guestimate from a 2016 lawsuit and reports from 2017 to today.)

Georgia is known for illegal and unethical practices with voter information. The state is good at making threats but not at following laws with records. That's why the state and its county face lawsuits involving voter processes again and again.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/po...d-after-changes-voting-rights-act-new-n893056

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I support periodic purging of voter rolls - perhaps every 4-5 years. People who move shouldn't be registered to vote in 2 precincts. Ideally voters would be notified if they have been purged in case they are still eligible to vote.
I was purged years ago when we moved temporarily and rented our housewhile we were gone. I hadn't changed my drivers license so I was able to vote.

Do you approve of Republicans using this as a means of suppressing minority and low income voters?

Do you know the number of people who have been found to vote twice?

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I believe Georgia has an open registration system- you don't register by party. So the people purging the rolls have no idea if they are purging Democrats, Republicans, or others.
Did you know that's not how suppression works? They purge by demographics, not by party listed.

For example, here in King County (Seattle and 'burbs) the Republicans tried to purge the votes from this county alone, targeting the majority Democratic votes because that's how Seattle reliably votes.

Kemp used voter caging to hit more Democrats than Republicans.

Technically, Kemp removed voters after they had skipped voting — and failed to return a postcard that, according to Morgan County Elections Board member Helen Butler, “Looks like junk mail. You’d throw it away.” Butler, who also serves as executive director of the Georgia Coalition for the People’s Agenda, is wary of Kemp’s purge methods. Just last year, her group settled a suit against Kemp that forced him to return over 40,000 voters to the rolls.

The National Voter Registration Act specifically prohibits cancelling voter registrations for not voting. But the failure to vote, in combination with not returning a postcard or other information, can be used to justify a cancellation if there is legitimate belief this is evidence the voter has moved.

“But they have not moved,” notes Swedlund, who says not returning a postcard is an “absurd, dangerous” way to determine if voters have moved — especially if their rights are at stake. And basing cancellations on non-responses to postcards is, Swedlund notes, endemically biased against voters who move often, including the poor, students, and Black and Latino voters — in other words, Democrats.

Republicans claim it's to address voter fraud despite clear evidence voter fraud only occurs in a handful of cases. But how convenient to purge millions of Democrats more than Republicans off the roles.

The Economist: Many states are purging voters from the rolls
According to a recent report by the Brennan Centre for Justice, a think-tank and advocacy group at New York University, nearly 16m voters were removed from the rolls between 2014 and 2016. That is almost 4m more than were purged between 2006 and 2008. The increased purging far exceeds population growth or the growing number of registered voters....

The report also found that, in the past five years, four states have conducted purges in ways that violate federal standards—for instance, by purging voters too close to an election and failing to inform voters adequately that they had been removed from the rolls. Many states seem to have relied on flawed information. Arkansas, for instance, bars felons who are serving their sentences from voting. But a list of voters to be purged in June 2016 included more than 4,000 people who had simply come into contact with the court system because of divorces, misdemeanours and the like. New York removed hundreds of thousands of voters (more in mostly Hispanic districts than elsewhere) whom it wrongly believed had moved.

Ms Pérez also noted a rise in lawsuits filed against states by conservative activists seeking more aggressive purging of the rolls. This pattern, the report says, began in 2008—the year that a multiracial coalition elected America’s first black president....

The only voter fraud is the Republicans falsely claiming there is widespread voter fraud.
Voter-impersonation fraud is vanishingly rare. One study found 31 possible cases out of more than 1bn votes cast between 2000 and 2014. Yet it has become a conservative shibboleth. Mr Trump insists, without evidence, that he lost the popular vote in 2016 only because millions of people voted illegally. He even set up a commission—run by Kris Kobach, a backer of strict voter-ID laws who might become Kansas’s next governor—to investigate claims of voter fraud.

The commission lasted less than eight months. Mr Trump disbanded it weeks after a court ordered it to turn over information to Matt Dunlap, Maine’s secretary of state, who complained it was keeping information from him and other Democrats on the commission. Mr Dunlap, who on August 3rd released the documents he had sought, believes “the whole purpose of the commission, regardless of evidence, was to validate the president’s assertion that millions of illegal votes were cast”.

Ballotpedia: Voter caging and voter purging are two types of voter suppression. Essentially Republicans look for a demographic that includes more minority or poor voters and use that to direct purges and caging. For example if more Republicans vote in midterms you purge everyone that didn't vote in the midterm. If a county or neighborhood votes Democratic, you target that county or neighborhood for caging.

The real question is, why do Republicans feel they are justified winning elections by cheating?

Brennan Center: Purges: A Growing Threat to the Right to Vote

Last edited:

ElaineA

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
The thing that amazes me about the Georgia situation (where he's "holding" 50,000 registrations, 70% of which are POC) is that whatever errors there are have been introduced by the government. People fill out forms, but then government workers input them. Voters have ZERO control over that. If two different government workers input the name two different ways, how is a voter supposed to know? It's insane, and seems to me a simple matter for the courts. But of course, the courts are politicized now, too, so... *sigh*

Larry M

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I have a friend who is a professor and chair of the Political Science department at the University of West Georgia (Carrollton, GA, near Atlanta.) He told me a few days ago that the purged voters are primarily in rural areas.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Voting while black: Black senior citizens ordered off Georgia bus taking them to vote
The bus, run by the group Black Voters Matter, was preparing to depart from a senior center operated by Jefferson County when the center’s director said they needed to disembark, said LaTosha Brown, a co-founder of Black Voters Matter.

A county clerk had called the senior center raising concerns about allowing the bus to take residents from the senior center in the city of Louisville, south of Augusta....

But someone apparently saw the bus, painted with the words “The South is Rising Tour,” and called county government offices, Brown said. That led to the phone call from the county clerk to the senior center. When they were asked, the senior citizens agreed to leave the bus....

During the event, the senior citizens got excited about voting and they danced near the bus as “Say It Loud — I’m Black and Proud” by James Brown blasted through the speakers, Evans said.

After the seniors got off the bus, they were initially told they could ride in a county van provided by the senior center to go vote, Brown said. But then the seniors had to get off the van because the senior center’s leaders decided it was close to lunchtime, and the seniors could vote another day....

Despite the obstacles, the senior citizens will find a way to cast their ballots, Brown said.

“The seniors were so resolved. They said: ‘We’re going to vote. Nobody’s going to stop us,’ ” Brown said. “It wasn’t the first time someone has denied them or tried to prevent them from voting.”

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck to them! Survivors of the first struggle for Black voter's rights in the '60 - I hope the public officials and the swine at that senior's center find out who they're up against. And, more practically, I hope that locals with cars offer rides!