He was 'V' shaped?

LesFewer

Registered
Reaction score
So my protagonist appreciates guys with the 'V' the way their shoulders are wider than their hips.

She liked his 'V'.

Should it be vee? I like 'V' over 'his shoulders were wider than his hips' because I've heard women use 'V' in conversation.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
I would write it 'V'.

It's like when someone's mouth forms an 'O' while shocked at something.

Hopes this helps and if you're new here, I see this is your first post, then welcome

:welcome:

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
Should be "V" and not "vee" since the shape of the letter is what they mean, not the letter itself. They are talking about a shape that resembles the letter, not the letter itself, you know what I mean. But if somebody just drops a phrase like "I like his V" it won't make much sense because it's not immediately obvious what that V stands for. It can be anything, maybe his belt-buckle or something! Or the logo on his shirt, or his hairdo, or maybe it stands for some completely new slang word. So it's best to first establish what the V means, or at least make it known in the conversation when it's mentioned.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I did a little back-and-forth on this exact thing with my editor(s) on the last thing I sold. Let me look up exactly what they said.

Okay, they rely on two sources that directly contradict one another. Merriam-Webster says to use 'vee' to mean in the shape of the letter V. The Chicago Manual of Style says that letters used to represent shapes are capitalized but not italicized, so it would be 'V' if they're the authority.

So if you are consistent with either vee or V and don't italicize it, you should be fine.

Maryn, who's more a B

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Hmm, being in the mm psych thriller/romance genre, V to me usually suggests the arrow mark between hips that leads down to what's between the thighs on the guy, lol. But it just shows how different readers process the details. I like pen's example of just expanding the detail a little more:

She liked his V: all slender thighs, broad shoulders, just a finer slipstream of body to run against the wind with..

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Just as an aside, Terry Pratchett famously has in several of his novels a naïve young bumpkin of a policeman who is tall and very well-built, named Carrot, after his physical shape, wide at the shoulders and tapering downward.

caw

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hm, that reads awkward as an idea, but maybe that's just me.

Fallen's example will be necessary, methinks, if you want to use it.

Last edited:

Jeneral

Cat wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, being in the mm psych thriller/romance genre, V to me usually suggests the arrow mark between hips that leads down to what's between the thighs on the guy, lol.

Yep. Fellow romance writer here, and that's where my mind went as well.

abdall

trash mammal
Registered
Reaction score
I would do V because he's shaped like the letter V.