NaNo 2018 -- IT IS (almost) OOOOONNNNNNNN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So today begins October, bringing us just ][ that much closer to this year's NaNoWriMo. Does anybody have any idea/inklings/an educated guess on what they'll be doing this year? I'll be doing Long Time, an M/M inspired by this song from Blondie (it starts out with a bright, nostalgic vibe then becomes bit more sad and melancholy during the bridge, and ends with a nostalgic/melancholy vibe) that involves possible time travel or unreliable memory in the main character. (There may or may not be truth to the rumor that I may or may not be plantsing this year. I may or may not be working from production notes but I am definitely not using an outline. I refuse to confirm the denial or deny the confirmation I'm using an outline.)

Last edited:

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
YAAASSSS!

I've started us a thread over there in Writing Groups and Clubs.

I don't have a clue what I'm gonna do this year. I've got three possibilities, all fantasy, but I want to finish at least one more beta read on my pile before I figure out which one to do (one will be easier to pick up at the last minute while the others need some planning in advance).

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Oh boy. I can't even think that far ahead, but yes, I'm definitely doing it, and I think I have a project in mind. Felt the recent need to write space opera/horror with crappy, unlikable characters.

rgroberts

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in, too, though I'm a bit of a rebel and am continuing my current manuscript instead of starting something new. I definitely can't wait - NaNo always does great things for my motivation!

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I'm in. Third time through on the same book. I could revise what I have, but I've thought of a zillion more ideas for it, and it makes more sense to start from scratch.

Or maybe I'm procrastinating. Because using NaNo to procrastinate is totally a thing, right? :D

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
I'm in, rebelling because I'll be doing at least two projects, maybe more, since I'm also aiming for a higher word count goal the word count.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
I want to be in. I need to be in. I just don't have the foggiest idea of what to do with myself. The gut feeling I have of putting aside YA (after like a freaking decade) and trying to write adult for the first time as an adult doesn't really help. :flag:

BenPanced

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'm still using the song Long Time for mood inspiration but I've changed the novel's title (ALREADY?!) to Origami to reflect how events, time, and people fold back on each other during the course of the story.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'm still using the song Long Time for mood inspiration but I've changed the novel's title (ALREADY?!) to Origami to reflect how events, time, and people fold back on each other during the course of the story.

I've just changed my whole project. This is gonna happen a lot this month.

BenPanced

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm usually pretty locked on a project after I announce it and change very little, if anything, along the way. I think there was one year I even changed a character's name during the event itself but...WORD COUNT! lolz!

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
I've decided to continue on my web-serial-ish adventure-fantasy about a healer who wishes to know if a greater purpose awaits her gift, and a chosen-ones fantasy that plays on the four-elements trope.

Velvet27

Registered
Reaction score
This will be my 2nd NaNo, and I'm excited. I'm neck deep in plotting my NaNo project at the moment, it's a college-set sports romance, the sequel to the one I'm currently working on. I've been a bit slow with churning out the words of late as I'm rewriting/editing, so I'm looking forward to the push of NaNo and a first draft messy word fest.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in, doing the same project that got sidelined last year. I am NOT going to push for an entire novel this time, especially since family matters take up 1/4 of the month. But I want a significant portion, maybe as much as half the book, 40,000 words or so.

Off to prep.

Jeff

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
I'm in. I wasn't going to be. But I used a writing prompt and wrote a short story. Now the MC is SCREAMING at me to write her a full novel, damnit. So, I've done my planning a la Snowflake Method. I have my synopsis and scene list. My characters are in process. This will be my second NaNo. Last year I straddled two novels, as I with 3/4 of my first novel when November started.

Time Tourist Outfitters: Wilda Permelia Firestone runs Time Tourist Outfitters and is perfectly content with haranguing the annoying Time Tourists that come to her for garb and equipment before they indulge in their costly Time Vacations. However, a Time Plague leaves most Travelers dead or dying. She's one of the few immune with Traveler experience, so reluctantly traces the Vector back to his source to find the contaminant. Set in 21st century Toronto... and 14th century Mali. And 12th century Maine. And 8th century Caithness.

Last edited:

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
So ready for nano to come around again! My co-ML and I are doing a getaway weekend to plot this weekend because all of our other time has been spent herding cats. Hopefully I'll finish the weekend with character names and a full outline.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Wow! It is, isn't it? I'd love to give it go, but too many life happenings going on. *sigh* Best of luck to those who are jumping into the fray! Enjoy yourselves! So many will be envious.

Mary Love

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in!! Last year's was SO TOUGH I wasn't sure I would ever do it again. But I recently reread last year's 50k (which hadn't been opened since last Nov) and it ...wasn't all horse pooh. Maybe? Anyway, it was enough to encourage me that the experience is highly worth it, especially with the good support system we have have here. :PartySmil
Let's have at it guys!!

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in :). Young adult contemporary thriller with an unlikeable narrator and escalating body count. Can't wait :D.

Jaligard

tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper
Registered
Reaction score
This is my first NaNoWriMo. Re-writing an old novel from scratch.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Me: Man, it's so nice to have my NaNo story all ready to go. Got my plot, got my characters, got a full outline, this is great. It's probably a novella, but I've got other things I can write after. I am ready!

New Story Idea: Ohhi

Me: No.

NSI: I'm actually a novel.

Me: NO.

NSI: You could write the novella for Camp in April and do a real NaNo with me.

Me: N. O.

NSI: Here's my title, here's my MC, here's a strong start to the outline-

Me: I hate plotbunnies.

shortstorymachinist

The score is still Q to 12!
Registered
Reaction score
Me: Man, it's so nice to have my NaNo story all ready to go. Got my plot, got my characters, got a full outline, this is great. It's probably a novella, but I've got other things I can write after. I am ready!

New Story Idea: Ohhi

Me: No.

NSI: I'm actually a novel.

Me: NO.

NSI: You could write the novella for Camp in April and do a real NaNo with me.

Me: N. O.

NSI: Here's my title, here's my MC, here's a strong start to the outline-

Me: I hate plotbunnies.

Plotbunnies, and all purveyors of them. *glares at Pasty and Wanderluster*

thereeness

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in! After a solid month of being sick (I got bronchitis around Sept 22nd, followed by wisdom teeth surgery on Oct 8th that knocked me on my ass) and feeling completely uninspired, I'm ready to get back to my writing. I'm going to my city's local kick-off event and I'm super excited for it!

Status
Not open for further replies.