Accountability buddy?

Cairo Amani

Cairo
Registered
Reaction score
Hey all!

I think "Writing buddy" can be defined in different ways but I *know* I need an accountability partner. I started my nano novel early and now it's looking like it will be a much bigger project than I originally planned. (far longer than 30 days). I'd like to finish it, though, and have given myself a deadline of December-February. I work a fulltime job that's relatively demanding so I think having someone checking in with me will keep me focused.

I'm not expecting a full beta read but I'm interested in

• trading chapters
  • being a sounding board for ideas,
  • Discussing character and plot development
  • anything in between

I have previous experience being published, querying, etc and would probably send the novel out if it's good enough once it's finished and edited.

Please let me know if you'd be interested in trading excerpts to see if we'd make a good match!

Here's a synopsis of my story:
Synopsis

Anele is a witch too weak to bond with a demon--while her older sister Dyshiki has a power so rare she’s able to destroy them. This makes Dyshiki a powerful tool in the war against the Mthembe Clan, a coven of witches who govern the neighboring country Dadongo. The clans have warred for centuries with the Zuma struggling to survive.
As Anele’s grandfather, High Ruler of Isisi, grows old and sick, one of the five Zuma First Blood will have to take his throne. Anele is initially no threat, until she manages to bond with a dangerous rogue demon--an entity only a witch of Dyshiki’s caliber should be able to tame. Armed with a powerful demon and her late mother’s staff, Anele discovers the true strength of a power she once thought useless and devotes it to saving her country.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Did you want an accountability buddy for the POC representation in your work, or one to make sure you're writing?

The former may find a response in this forum. The latter may find more appropriate responses in the writing partners/betas forum. Alternatively, have you tried asking in the Nano forum here?

Cairo Amani

Cairo
Registered
Reaction score
Did you want an accountability buddy for the POC representation in your work, or one to make sure you're writing?

The former may find a response in this forum. The latter may find more appropriate responses in the writing partners/betas forum. Alternatively, have you tried asking in the Nano forum here?

I posted in the regular forum for this but thought *hopefully* i'd connect with another black author in particular if I posted here as well. Cast a wide net amirite? :-D

novicewriter

Registered
Reaction score
Hello. If it helps, I've seen black writers on Twitter, discussing publishing or querying protocols with lit agents or asking them questions.

Have you tried also asking on your social media accounts, like Twitter?

Last edited:

Cairo Amani

Cairo
Registered
Reaction score
Twitter is great for writers but my current twitter account isn't for writing.

Good news is, I actually ended up finding some folks on a different site!

Thanks guys!