Submitting To The Library Of Congress

TommyWilkens

Registered
Reaction score
I have a question for some of the more experienced forum members here. In our research we have found that if you do not register your book with The Library of Congress before you publish your book you will not be allowed to sell your book to libraries around the country and around the world. First question is this true? Second question is I have applied for a Library of Congress number already and have been informed in 2 reply's from The Library of Congress. Must I have my book printed but not published before I send the book into to them? In our research we have come across some who have said the wait could be 2 years to get placed in the Library of Congress system. We can not wait that long. And I don't know who could that seems way to long to us. We are going to self publish with both Create Space and Ingram Spark so can we go ahead and publish with these two services before we send in the printed book to the Library of Congress? Thank you very much ahead of time for your reply's. Thanks Tommy Wilkens

Dear Publisher:

Your application to participate in the EPCN program for
Pubname: "Self Publishing"
was successfully transmitted to the Library of Congress.

Your EPCN application for a Library of Congress control number for
Title: "Walking The Razor's Edge"
ISBN: "9781732739406"
was successfully transmitted to the Library of Congress.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tommy, I'll tell you the smartest thing you can do about this: Consult an attorney who specializes in publishing. Their understanding of the law trumps any website's, including ours.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
If you're talking about a LOC CIP or catalog number, self-published books are not eligible.

The PCN is a sort of place-holder for a book that is expected to have a LOC CIP.

But libraries can buy your book; it's a little more work for them, and possibly expense, because they can't use the automated ordering systems that they usually use, and they'll have to produce the catalog records by hand.

I don't know that I'd bother with trying to get a LOC CIP if you're self-publishing, given that it's not applicable to self-published books.

Your book still won't be integrated into the purchased software (Voyager, etc) that libraries use to coordinate and track and catalog books they purchase. That doesn't mean that they can't or won't buy it though. Libraries do also use Amazon and other retailers.

Having an ISBN is probably more useful, honestly, and you have that.

I would instead concentrate on getting reviews etc. for your book, targeting the niche that you think it best fits in terms of readers and buyers.

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
All I know is that books I have never registered with the LoC have been bought by libraries. I don't think libraries are limited in the properties they buy other than that they can't be illegal.

TommyWilkens

Registered
Reaction score
We thank each of you who shared their knowledge concerning the subject I asked about. We now announce after the guidance from the good Forum members here we shall drive on and self publish very shortly now.Our manuscript is in the hands of our excellent editor and once we have it back we will pull the trigger and off it goes to be our book for all who choose to enjoy. We thank each of you Tommy Wilkens