Tell me the truth. This is not fan fiction.

Tarikris

Registered
Reaction score
This is interesting and unusual. Can you tell us a little more about this? What house? Have you looked them up here on the Index? It's very, very rare for a traditional house to republish self-published books unless they've sold a great deal, but there are many sketchy places that will gladly take your book and often your money.

Yes the company is called Olympia Publishers in London. Heard of them?

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
That's what I was afraid of, Richard. Tarikris, proceed with caution. As I said, self-published books getting legitimate trade deals is UNBELIEVABLY rare. Even those of us who've been around a long time can only name a few people this happened to (Andy Weir is the only one I know). There must be thousands of sales before trade publishers sit up and take notice, and I'm not exaggerating.

There's no harm in submitting if you want to see for yourself what happens, but the MOMENT they ask for money, toss everything from them in the trash and don't look back. Even if there's no mention of money, still be wary. Some vanity presses do have non-contribution-based sides, but the assumption will always be you paid to publish with them. You'll be more successful continuing with your self-publishing journey than tying your name with a vanity press.

Tarikris

Registered
Reaction score
That's what I was afraid of, Richard. Tarikris, proceed with caution. As I said, self-published books getting legitimate trade deals is UNBELIEVABLY rare. Even those of us who've been around a long time can only name a few people this happened to (Andy Weir is the only one I know). There must be thousands of sales before trade publishers sit up and take notice, and I'm not exaggerating.

There's no harm in submitting if you want to see for yourself what happens, but the MOMENT they ask for money, toss everything from them in the trash and don't look back. Even if there's no mention of money, still be wary. Some vanity presses do have non-contribution-based sides, but the assumption will always be you paid to publish with them. You'll be more successful continuing with your self-publishing journey than tying your name with a vanity press.

Yeah I got the agreement TODAY. It says that I have to pay 2300 pounds over 10 month which was not mentioned in the initial email, of course. Ugh. Back to the drawing board. :) I'm so happy that I found this forum though. So many knowledgeable people and I appreciate it.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Definitely take that information to the thread Richard posted, since someone was recently asking if anything had changed. Clearly not. Your information can be helpful to anyone who might think that maybe they've changed their ways.

We're glad to have you, and I'm so sorry they were so cruel as to get your hopes up like that. At least you know not to go with them.

Tarikris

Registered
Reaction score
Definitely take that information to the thread Richard posted, since someone was recently asking if anything had changed. Clearly not. Your information can be helpful to anyone who might think that maybe they've changed their ways.

We're glad to have you, and I'm so sorry they were so cruel as to get your hopes up like that. At least you know not to go with them.

Yes I definitely will and thank you so much. :)

Tarikris

Registered
Reaction score
There are numerous ways to self-publish a book that don't involve forking over any money. Notably among these are Lulu and CreateSpace.

caw

Yes. Actually I am working with DiggyPod on printed copies. Thank you so much.