Registered
Reaction score
All things on earth point home in old October;
sailors to sea, travelers to walls and fences,
hunters to field and hollow and the long voices
of the hounds, the lover to the love he has
forsaken.

- Thomas Wolfe

Only three months left until the end of the year! It hardly seems possible. At least it's October, my favorite month - and for those still on the fence about participating in NaNoWriMo this year, that means there are only 31 days left to make up your mind!

I'm dialing back on my goals this month - I really want to focus on writing, and nothing else. It's been too long since I've made any real progress. I started over on my WIP a week ago back so I'm going to use my count thus far as a starting point. Still don't know if I want to do NaNo or not; it's not the way I normally write, but maybe a change is what I need.

So...goals:

[ ] Read three books
[ ] Write a blog
[ ] Research Audible
[ ] Write 10k words on my WIP - starting count 7654

What's on your to-do list for October?

Last edited:

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Aside from making the marmalade, pretty much all my goals for October can be accomplished sitting down. Yay. *is still exhausted from the spring cleaning effort*
Not too many goals for this month - I'll add more if they come to me.

[ ] finally finish the quasi-historical story (current word count 74,104... but more will be added because I have to write at least one more scene)
[ ] write at least five scenes on The Crystal Throne
[ ] make ginger marmalade
[ ] finish Christmas gift sweater (before it gets too hot)

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
I'll probably add a few things once I get a better idea of my plans for this month, but this is good to start.

[ ] Reboot my Habitica items
[ ] Use my BuJo again
[ ] Catch-up YNAB
[ ] Edit every day: Week 40
[ ] Edit every day: Week 41
[ ] Edit every day: Week 42
[ ] Edit every day: Week 43
[ ] Edit every day: Week 44 (October portion)

Elenitsa

writing as Marina Costa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
caribbeandawn1720.jcink.net
- Round up the research and outline for the NaNo novel
- finish the short story collection
- correct a finished novel
- send the finished novel to the publisher before November

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
My October goals:

• Finish the GOT series that's in print (I've been stalled for a while)
  • Participate in the Write Every Day thread for October
  • Turn 49 :(
  • Keep looking for a new job
  • Try doing more yoga/exercise
  • Bite my tongue on the OctNoWriMo (October-November-Write-Month?) Shouldn't it be NaOctWriMo? :)

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
It's almost the end of the year. That's a little terrifying.

Small changes to my goals this month. No stories - maybe I'll actually edit something if I don't have it as a goal :p No transcription. My main focus this month will be getting as much of Ginevra written as possible before NaNo. I don't know if I can finish it, but we'll see how we go. I still want to get some editing done, but I'm going to be happy with less chapters this month.

I know what I want to write for NaNo, but I'd like to get some more planning done. And finally figure out the main character's name...

One day I will hit my reading goals again. One day.

1. Read five books.
2. Continue game planning (map).
3. Write Ginevra.
4. Edit Marietta.
5. Plan NaNo.
6. Min 500 words OR 2 pages edited per day with one 4hr min day per week.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
October is my favorite month, too.

Aiming low this time:

[] Write antho story (10k)
[] Finish 2nd round edits of secret project

arikdiver

Making magic with words
Registered
Reaction score
Only three months left in the year -eek! I'm going to do better this month (I hope). I was planning to do a new novel for Nano but I think I'll keep editing my current novel instead so I'm keeping up the momentum on it.

[ ] Complete edit of Act 1
[ ] Start edit of Act 2
[ ] Two Blog Posts

[ ] Read 2 books
[ ] Check into this thread more regularly

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I am completely spinning myself in circles again. Going to try and take some time this month to right myself.

[ ] Outline for NanoWriMo
[ ] Write one short.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I spent the first week of October at my mother's, cleaning house and running errands for her in anticipation of her release from rehab next Saturday. I've mentioned in past threads that she's elderly (97) and still lives alone, and was in rehab for about a month and a half while a pelvic fracture healed. Her doctor has told her she must use her rolling walker all the time now, so most of what I was doing was making sure she has unobstructed paths through the house - not an easy task, since she's a borderline hoarder. I only had four days so I got no writing done, but I did, at least, finish Ron Chernow's Alexander Hamiton, which I feel like I've been reading for a decade. I enjoyed it, but it's very dense.

[ ] Read three books - 1 of 3
[ ] Write a blog
[ ] Research Audible

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely done some words on Ginevra. Not nearly enough to finish it by the end of the month, but words! I've done a chapter of Marietta, done a whole bunch of game map stuff, and finished The Isle of Glass yesterday. I am now reading The Golden Horn, book two. I feel like I've had a productive week.

Short and sweet update today.

1. Read five books. 1/5
2. Continue game planning (map). Onward.
3. Write Ginevra. Yes.
4. Edit Marietta. 1/4 chapters.
5. Plan NaNo. Nope.
6. Min 500 words OR 2 pages edited per day with one 4hr min day per week. Yes.

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
Not much to report on this week. Work on the sweater is going well. Front and back are done, and I have one sleeve just over half done. I just need a few more cold, rainy days and it'll be done. *g* Ginger marmalade is happening this week. I ordered a mandoline to slice the oranges and lemons and it arrived yesterday. Sadly, I haven't even LOOKED at The Crystal Throne. It'll happen soon, though.

[X] finally finish the quasi-historical story (75,071 complete finally)
[ ] make ginger marmalade

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had an extremely busy week; got back from my mother's on Sunday evening, then had a week's worth of rehearsals for a concert event on Friday evening, then did an author event yesterday at my local library. The concert went well; the author event less so - it was for Indie Author Day and there were seven of us with our books in a room off the main library space, with no signage to indicate where we were and what was going on and consequently, very little traffic. None of us sold a single book.

It was interesting to see how the authors set themselves up: I'd brought a table cover, display easels for my books and all my promo stuff (bookmarks, magnets, business cards and a basket of candy), and thought my space looked pretty nice, but one guy had a full display rack and banners and another had a flat screen to run a book trailer promo and a prize wheel. The other four authors just showed up with their books.

I was surprised to hear from the library rep that audio books are among their most checked-out items. We talked about that a bit, so I got a bit of a start on my Audible research. And I read some on my current book. Other than that, though - no progress on the list this week.

[ ] Write a blog
[ ] Research Audible

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
mrsmig - I'm sorry to hear that the library was less than helpful regarding the book-signing event. It would have taken them about ten minutes to put up a sign in the main foyer announcing where all the authors were set up for the signing.

For myself - well, this past week has been really rainy, and I don't get much done when it's grey and gloomy out. I spent most of the week watching youtube videos about furniture restoration, and old house restoration. *g* (not that I plan on doing any of that stuff, it just fascinates me how they can repair and restore things without destroying the history of the item) I did, however, manage to get the ginger marmalade done, and it turned out even better than last year's effort, so I'm pretty pleased about that.

Unless things change, I can't see me getting the five scenes done on The Crystal Throne, but we'll see where I'm sitting at the end of the month.

[X] make ginger marmalade – turned out even better than last year!

arikdiver

Making magic with words
Registered
Reaction score
MrsMig: your book signing sounds disappointing. how silly not to even have a sign up!

School holidays just finished here so my kids are finally back at school this week and I can try and sneak some writing in. No real progress on my list this months sadly. Hoping to change that this week.

[ ] Complete edit of Act 1
[ ] Start edit of Act 2
[ ] Two Blog Posts

[ ] Read 2 books
[ ] Check into this thread more regularly

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
Another week, and I am sleepy. Did another chapter, but haven't done much more in the way of map assets (will need to devote some time to that - so much to do!). I'm still steadily plugging away at the words on Ginevra, but some days I do way less than I plan. Like on the weekend, when all I had was a lunch on Sunday, but the rest was spent lazing at home. I played games instead of doing extra words. I've done a little bit of NaNo planning, but I still need more, I think.

Not made much reading progress. I'll get there. I hope.

1. Read five books. 1/5
3. Write Ginevra. Yes.
4. Edit Marietta. 2/4 chapters.
5. Plan NaNo. Tinsy bit.

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
I think I forgot to check-in last week. Oops!

I never did decide on other things to add.

[X] Reboot my Habitica items
[-] Use my BuJo again
[ ] Catch-up YNAB
[X] Edit every day: Week 40
[X] Edit every day: Week 41
[ ] Edit every day: Week 42

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
  • [ ] [6/30] Write 30k
  • [ ] [4/20] Do 20 editing Pomodoros.
  • [ ] Finish DtS edit.
  • [ ] Finish C280k Course
  • [ ] Hit 145lbs
  • [ ] [3/6] Read 6 books
  • [ ] [3/5] Do 5 Zombies Run 5ks.
  • [ ] Put 5 art pieces online.
  • [x] Do a roller derby skate
  • [x] Do another Parkrun
  • [x] Read 3 books

Hey guys! I'm late to join the thread but thankfully I've still been tracking my monthly goals.

October is my favourite month too (and my birthday month!), though this month has been a nightmarish one for my mental health. I'm definitely embracing the idea of simpler, more focused goals... because I like gamification, I've got a 'locked goals' list of things I'd like to achieve but won't touch until the previous goals are finished, so I get the simpler list and still don't feel like I'm leaving things off the list.

Last edited:

arikdiver

Making magic with words
Registered
Reaction score
Well I suck at keeping up to date, and writing in general at the moment. Here's where I'm at:

[ ] Complete edit of Act 1 - not yet
[ ] Start edit of Act 2 - hahahaha - will probably carry over to next month with Nano
[ ] Two Blog Posts - Nope

[ ] Read 2 books - I have ten days...
[ ] Check into this thread more regularly - Partial credit

I hope everyone else is doing better than I am.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Finally made a bit of headway on the WIP; rewriting and re-organizing mostly, but still, I wrote words. I did a fair amount of "putting up" this week - made a gallon of fresh tomato sauce, a quart of applesauce and two pounds of Italian green beans. It all went into the freezer. Since I'm thinking about doing a blog on the making of fresh tomato sauce, I took a lot of photos.

I also spent several hours Thursday at the theatre where I'm an artistic associate, doing readings from scripts under consideration for production next season. Weirdly, I'm pretty good at doing cold readings, and I think it's because of my writing - I can comprehend sentence structure and the playwright's intent with just a glance. I liked two of the four shows I read, was indifferent about the third and HATED the fourth: a spoofy take on Christie's Murder on the Orient Express. I'm afraid I sat there glowering when I wasn't speaking lines.

At about the halfway point on my second read of the month, which is another chewy non-fic. I'll need to finish out October with something a bit lighter and zippier, or I'll never make my goal.

[ ] Write a blog
[ ] Research Audible
[ ] Write 10k words on my WIP (starting count 7654) current count 9632

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
Not a whole lot of progress made since last week. At this point, it's going to take a miracle to reach my writing goal. But that's okay. There's always next month. :)

[X] make ginger marmalade – turned out even better than last year!
[ ] finish Christmas gift sweater (before it gets too hot) - only one sleeve left to do.

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
Another chapter done. Nothing particularly exciting happening there, but I'm perfectly on target. Ginevra is up to over 30k words now, which is nice because words, and not nice because that's about the mark Word won't scroll anymore with my touch screen. No clue why.

Done a flurry of map assets, but the game is theoretically in less than two weeks and I haven't finished them, let alone done the actual map and other prep work. Large possibility it'll be delayed anyway - one player is working weekends a lot at the moment and another has planned something on that day, vaguely thinking he can pull an all-nighter and still come in the afternoon.

I needed a book that would fit in my bag so I could read it while waiting for an appointment (the Judith Tarr one is in an omnibus and definitely doesn't fit in a handbag). So I grabbed The Secret Garden and just finished it up in a nice dose of nostalgia. Now I'm back to The Golden Horn.

1. Read five books. 2/5
3. Write Ginevra. Yes.
4. Edit Marietta. 3/4 chapters.
5. Plan NaNo. Tinsy bit.

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
Weekly check-in :)

[X] Reboot my Habitica items
[-] Use my BuJo again
[X] Catch-up YNAB
[X] Edit every day: Week 40
[X] Edit every day: Week 41
[X] Edit every day: Week 42
[X] Reorganize office

Added one in there, because I did it before putting it on the list :tongue

So glad to have the YNAB one off there, though. Now I just have to keep it up to date.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Had a fairly productive week. I had a really good writing day - actually, kind of a breaththrough day - and not only wrote words, but words I was happy with. I'm not going to make my goal by a long shot, but that's okay. I also put aside the nonfic I've been reading and roared through Susannah Clarke's short story collection The Ladies of Grace Adieu, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Did my Audible research, and decided I'm just not ready to tackle that until I see what happens once I get my rights reverted on my series in mid-December.

I'm still on the fence about doing NaNo. Normally spewing words is not the way I write, but since I've gotten so little done by writing the way I usually write, maybe it's time for a change. Four more days until it starts, so I'd better make up my mind soon.

[ ] Read three books - 2 of 3
[ ] Write a blog
[x] Research Audible - done
[ ] Write 10k words on my WIP (starting count 7654) current count 10,193

Status
Not open for further replies.