MFA after 30?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scheherazade

Human
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with doing an MFA over the age of 30? Are there certain programs where this is more common than others? Obviously I imagine the low residency programs would be more diverse, but the only way I'd consider going back for an MFA was if I could get into a fully funded full time program.

rgroberts

Registered
Reaction score
Yup! I'm doing a full time MFA right now, and I'm 36. Granted, I am also working full time and most of my classes are online, except for three classes per semester in person, but I'm definitely enjoying it. I'm not the oldest person in my program, either - not by far.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I took a masters degree in writing nearly twenty years ago. I finished it in 2002, when I was forty. I'm now 56, and have just enrolled in another masters degree, this time in psychology.

I don't think age is an issue. Education is always good. It's brilliant to study and learn and explore.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I finished my MFA at Iowa at age 29, having spent time in the Army before that. But among the other MFA students were several older than me, including a guy who had played basketball in the NBA. Age matters much less than ability. Alas, in my case, neither mattered.

caw

Larry M

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
If you want it, then go for it. As others mentioned, age doesn't matter.

The day I graduated at age 50 with a Bachelor's Degree in Education, I met a 67 year old man who that day received a Masters in Education. He had retired some years before, and rather than sitting around collecting stamps, he was collecting Masters degrees. He had studied for and earned several such degrees before I met him, and he told me he wouldn't stop until he no longer had the mental capacity to learn.

He told me his love of learning and thirst for knowledge was stronger at age 67 than it had ever been in his life.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Grad school skews older; 30 isn't even a little unusual.

gem1122

We can pickle that
Registered
Reaction score
I attended a workshop at Vermont College of Fine Arts a few years ago. It was designed as a sort of 'trial' for writers who had a master's degree but were considering VCFA's prominent low-res MFA program. There were about 50 people there, and it was a wide mix of ages, from mid-20's to 50's and much older. I was in my 40s which meant I was in the middle of the range. I didn't feel out of place re: my age (though I did feel that there was an air of superiority which made me uncomfortable). Another anecdote was when I visited an open house for the U of Tampa program. Again, the attendance was a similarly wide range of ages.

I suppose it all depends on the roll of the dice as to who will be in your program at that particular time, but you most likely wouldn't "stand out" in your 30s at all. If you haunt the programs' websites, you can probably find photos of graduating classes to give you an idea.

shizu

Registered
Reaction score
At 26, I was the youngest in my Masters program (and honestly, looking back I think I did go for it a few years too early; I did feel somewhat like the 'baby' of the group). Everyone else was 30+.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
I’m actually thinking of going back and getting another Masters when I retire from this gig (I’m 48, almost 49). That means I’ll likely finish in my mid 50s

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I agree with others who have commented. These days, age doesn’t really matter when it comes to continuing your education in whatever field. I’m back in school studying Korean and am the oldest at 40. The next oldest is 30, and the youngest is 23, I believe. The only main difference between going to school now and doing it before is that I don’t often hang out with my classmates after class.

I did my MFA in Creative Writing from 29 to 31. I was basically in the middle of the group. There were several people who were older, about my age now, and several people who were younger, the youngest of which was probably 23 also.

But as they say, it’s never too late, and these days, a lot of people don’t even finish their Bachelors until their mid 20s. The rules on all of this have changed with the times.

zmethos

from words to worlds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mpepperlanglinais.com
I got my MA in Writing, Literature and Publishing when I was 25, but there was a *huge* range of ages in all my classes and workshops. (And my program dovetailed with the school's MFA in Creative Writing.)

maggiee19

Registered
Reaction score
I got my diploma on medical billing and coding at age 36.

jmurray2112

Registered
Reaction score
The day I graduated at age 50 with a Bachelor's Degree in Education, I met a 67 year old man who that day received a Masters in Education. He had retired some years before, and rather than sitting around collecting stamps, he was collecting Masters degrees. He had studied for and earned several such degrees before I met him, and he told me he wouldn't stop until he no longer had the mental capacity to learn.

He told me his love of learning and thirst for knowledge was stronger at age 67 than it had ever been in his life.

We should all meet this guy. What an inspiring example.
As far as the fully-funded MFA option, I get that. My wife, who is now 50 (don't tell her I told you) has applied for that slot several times in the last 15 years, and didn't make the cut. The last time (two years ago) she swore she was done. Buuuut, now she's talking about it again, and I'm all for it. If you want it, keep trying.

Status
Not open for further replies.