Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentJessica

Absolute Sage
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Jessica!

I'm always interested to know, is there anything you're seeing a lot of at the moment in submissions?
Maybe things that we as writers wouldn't expect or realise are cliche or common, because we don't see the huge volume of queries that agents do.

Hi Laura--

Most of my inbox is filled with women's fiction, mystery, thrillers, suspense and upmarket and literary fiction. I'm seeing a lot of psychological suspense which I want and am looking for.

I did poll the gang at BookEnds to see what everyone else is seeing. I've heard there are a ton of illness memoirs, ususally a parent or child.

There are a ton PI stories and cop stories that don't really differentiate themselves in any other way. The same holds true of serial killer stories. I see a ton, so any old serial killer isn't enough to make them stand out.

In romance we see a lot of stories where the protagonist inherits a house and ends up falling for the contractor. Another common trope is a house is given to two people who must live together for a specified period of time and fall in love.

Other things we see a lot of that we have not had good experience selling are cozy mysteries where the hook is a realtor or other professional that's not a cozy store or vocation (B&B owner, bookshop owner, knitting store owner, etc).

I'm sure there are more, but those are what we all thought of on the fly.

Thanks!

goddessofgliese

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katechenli.com
Hi Jessica,

In an earlier post you mentioned that once you start submitting it means you have started writing your next book. Let's say I'm querying agents on the first book in a planned trilogy. I've heard agents say that even if you are signed by an agent, it doesn't mean he/she will be able to sell your book, so instead of writing the second book in the trilogy, you should start something completely new. But what if the agent sells the book you are signed for? Wouldn't the publisher expect to see how the story continues in the second book right away?

What's your opinion?

Thanks!

AgentJessica

Absolute Sage
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Jessica,

In an earlier post you mentioned that once you start submitting it means you have started writing your next book. Let's say I'm querying agents on the first book in a planned trilogy. I've heard agents say that even if you are signed by an agent, it doesn't mean he/she will be able to sell your book, so instead of writing the second book in the trilogy, you should start something completely new. But what if the agent sells the book you are signed for? Wouldn't the publisher expect to see how the story continues in the second book right away?

What's your opinion?

Thanks!

Thanks for the question. At BookEnds we tend to advise against starting the next book in a series or trilogy until the first has sold. The thinking is that we don't want the author to have two unsold books under the bed instead of just one. Instead we will encourage the author to start something fresh and new so, on the chance the first book doesn't sell we are ready to go with a second. If the first book does sell, the publisher will often make a multi-book offer and at that point we can set deadlines with the author that works and the current WIP can rest a bit until the author has time to go back to it, or whenever the author has time to go back to it.

Keep in mind that publishing is a slow business so the first book will likely take almost a year from the sale to get published. That should be plenty of time to write that next book.

drose58

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, Jessica and thank you so much for doing this.

I have a contract for a book with an indie publisher. We are in the third round of edits and I anticipate the book will be released within the first six months of next year. I have a WIP which has another few months to go, but I think the manuscript will be polished and ready soon after the holiday season, around January or February.

I would like to try the traditional agent route and start querying with the new manuscript. Obviously the book will not have a track record at that point. Should I mention in my query I have a book coming out?

Thanks so much!
Debbie Lehner Rosenberg

AgentJessica

Absolute Sage
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, Jessica and thank you so much for doing this.

I have a contract for a book with an indie publisher. We are in the third round of edits and I anticipate the book will be released within the first six months of next year. I have a WIP which has another few months to go, but I think the manuscript will be polished and ready soon after the holiday season, around January or February.

I would like to try the traditional agent route and start querying with the new manuscript. Obviously the book will not have a track record at that point. Should I mention in my query I have a book coming out?

Thanks so much!
Debbie Lehner Rosenberg

First off, congratulations! That's very exciting news.

In situations like this you can actually try to use the contract from the indie publisher to get the agent right off the bat. The agent can negotiate, often better terms, and also, possibly, find you another publisher. However, I'm also aware that doesn't always work out. If you are choosing to seek an agent after the deal is made I would definitely mention the book. While you might not have sales yet, you do have the acknowledgement from a professional of your work.

Laurasaurus

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Laura--

Most of my inbox is filled with women's fiction, mystery, thrillers, suspense and upmarket and literary fiction. I'm seeing a lot of psychological suspense which I want and am looking for.

I did poll the gang at BookEnds to see what everyone else is seeing. I've heard there are a ton of illness memoirs, ususally a parent or child.

There are a ton PI stories and cop stories that don't really differentiate themselves in any other way. The same holds true of serial killer stories. I see a ton, so any old serial killer isn't enough to make them stand out.

In romance we see a lot of stories where the protagonist inherits a house and ends up falling for the contractor. Another common trope is a house is given to two people who must live together for a specified period of time and fall in love.

Other things we see a lot of that we have not had good experience selling are cozy mysteries where the hook is a realtor or other professional that's not a cozy store or vocation (B&B owner, bookshop owner, knitting store owner, etc).

I'm sure there are more, but those are what we all thought of on the fly.

Thanks!

Thanks for your answer! I find this stuff so fascinating (and super helpful to know what to avoid).

EvilPenguin

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Jessica!
Thank you so much for doing this!

My question is about pitching to agents at writer's conferences. I've been to 3 different conferences so far, and the first 2, I passed on the opportunity to pitch to an agent out of nerves and not feeling like my books was ready. However, at both of those conferences, I had a lot of people tell me I should have just taken the opportunity to pitch for practice, so when I attended my 3rd conference, I told myself I had to pitch. I had just started a brand new novel, that I'm really excited and confident about, so I decided to pitch it, just for the practice. To my surprise, the agent actually requested to see the first 50 pages. But I was so nervous and stunned, I failed to tell her that the book was not completed...

So my questions are: Should authors pitch at conferences, just for the practice, even if their books aren't completed? And if an agent requests to see pages at a conference, what is an acceptable time frame to send the pages to them?

I would still love to send my pages to the agent, but I want my book to be finished before I do and that's still a couple of months away. Should I still send them to the agent when I'm done? Or submit an actual query letter to the agent and see if she's still interested?

Again, thank you!

D. E. Wyatt

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, Jessica!

I self-published my first book in 2013. It was a novella that was meant to be a short story but I just couldn't trim it down enough. It released to good reviews, enough that when I finished the sequel (a full-length novel) the second book was picked up by a publisher. That experience was...less than pleasant (the edit was taken out of my hands, as was, effectively, the cover). The publisher folded while I was shipping the third book to agents, with the second going out of print. Sales have been sluggish on book one, in part because I have to rely on myself for marketing and I have literally NO budget to work with. I received no help at all with marketing from the publisher of book 2, so was once again on my own, there. The third book garnered some interest and a good bit of praise from the agents I shopped it to, but was ultimately passed on.

While another, unrelated project is being beta-read, I decided to go back to the first book and do a rewrite and expansion to flesh things out into a full-length novel. It currently stands at about 60,000 words (original length about 30,000) and I'm probably about 2/3 done, so the new version — while retaining much of the original plot — is still going to be quite substantially expanded, as a few subplots and characters are better fleshed out now that I'm not trying to squeeze it into a short-format story. Book 2 will also be getting new editing pass and probably some rewrites as well to match some minor changes being introduced in the new version of Book 1.

I'm wondering how to proceed once the rewrites are completed, beta-read, and edited. Although both this book, and the project I mentioned above, are fantasy, they're in rather different subgenres (the book being rewritten is a low-fantasy swashbuckler, the other is a high fantasy epic). I'd considered focusing on using the epic to find an agent since it has not been previously published, and use the rewrites of the other series as something that could be released between books, however they're also quite difference in focus and scale.

I really like what I'm doing with the swashbuckler and I know for certain I don't want to shelve it. If I do shop the rewrite rather than wait on the other, should I approach agents as if it were a new work, especially because it's going to be something on the order of 2/3 new material, anyway? Should I make mention that it was previously self-published in a shorter format? There's also the second book to consider, however being that it's book 2 in a series, I think what I do there is going to depend on what happens with book 1.

Thanks in advance, and I appreciate any suggestions you may have.

Last edited:

GOTHOS

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Jessica,
I echo members' thanks for taking out your time to do this.

I checked out your site for the first time and was impressed by the format of the submissions letter with fields pertaining to word-count, previous publications, et al, all of which I would think make it easier for you to glean substantive details about a project without having to pull them out of the query letter.

My question is, how did you decide that you wanted only to read three pages of a submission? I see that some agents may want five or more, though I personally haven't seen anyone want more than ten. I can see how you might get the author's voice from three pages, but can you get much of a grip on the plot or characters? In my case, I have two principal characters, and the reader doesn't even meet one of the two for the first three pages.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Just a thank you for your help.

Thank you.

Last edited:

AgentJessica

Absolute Sage
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Jessica!
Thank you so much for doing this!

My question is about pitching to agents at writer's conferences. I've been to 3 different conferences so far, and the first 2, I passed on the opportunity to pitch to an agent out of nerves and not feeling like my books was ready. However, at both of those conferences, I had a lot of people tell me I should have just taken the opportunity to pitch for practice, so when I attended my 3rd conference, I told myself I had to pitch. I had just started a brand new novel, that I'm really excited and confident about, so I decided to pitch it, just for the practice. To my surprise, the agent actually requested to see the first 50 pages. But I was so nervous and stunned, I failed to tell her that the book was not completed...

So my questions are: Should authors pitch at conferences, just for the practice, even if their books aren't completed? And if an agent requests to see pages at a conference, what is an acceptable time frame to send the pages to them?

I would still love to send my pages to the agent, but I want my book to be finished before I do and that's still a couple of months away. Should I still send them to the agent when I'm done? Or submit an actual query letter to the agent and see if she's still interested?

Again, thank you!

Congratulations on the request.

I think you'll get mixed responses from agents on whether to pitch without a book being ready. That being said, I also think most agents know from experience that very few clients are signed based on pitch sessions alone.

I have no issue with attending a pitch session without a completed manuscript, however I also don't think you need to pich in that case. I see nothing wrong with taking a pitch session time to get to know the agent, and letting that agent know that upfront. Instead of sitting down and giving a pitch, sit down and let the agent know that while you're book isn't ready you were still hoping to use the time to get to know the agent a little. Be prepared with questions (preferably that provide answers that can't be easily found on the agent's website) and maybe even questions about your book. How is the market for the type of book you're writing? That sort of thing.

In most standard pitch sessions an agent assumes the book is ready and returns to the office hoping to see it again. I'm still waiting for a book I requested at a conference in 2017. I'm honestly not sure it will ever arrive, but that's part of the business.

Whatever you do, I would wait until the book is completely finished, edited and ready before sending it. You don't want to be kicking yourself later when you realize you've sent work that isn't up to your best. And then, at that point, feel free to send whatever was requested.

However it plays out, I want to reassure you that you didn't do anything wrong and you should celebrate the request.

EvilPenguin

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations on the request.

I think you'll get mixed responses from agents on whether to pitch without a book being ready. That being said, I also think most agents know from experience that very few clients are signed based on pitch sessions alone.

I have no issue with attending a pitch session without a completed manuscript, however I also don't think you need to pich in that case. I see nothing wrong with taking a pitch session time to get to know the agent, and letting that agent know that upfront. Instead of sitting down and giving a pitch, sit down and let the agent know that while you're book isn't ready you were still hoping to use the time to get to know the agent a little. Be prepared with questions (preferably that provide answers that can't be easily found on the agent's website) and maybe even questions about your book. How is the market for the type of book you're writing? That sort of thing.

In most standard pitch sessions an agent assumes the book is ready and returns to the office hoping to see it again. I'm still waiting for a book I requested at a conference in 2017. I'm honestly not sure it will ever arrive, but that's part of the business.

Whatever you do, I would wait until the book is completely finished, edited and ready before sending it. You don't want to be kicking yourself later when you realize you've sent work that isn't up to your best. And then, at that point, feel free to send whatever was requested.

However it plays out, I want to reassure you that you didn't do anything wrong and you should celebrate the request.

Thank you, Jessica!!! This makes me feel so much better and helps alleviate a lot of the stress I've been having over this book. Knowing that an agent is interested in the premise has given me a lot of motivation to work on it, but I will definitely make sure it is in the best state I can make it before I send it off.

drose58

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Jessica. I have one more question.

My current WIP features several diverse characters, both ethnically and one with a disability. They are not, however, #ownvoices. I'm thinking about reaching out to sensitivity readers to ensure quality and authenticity.

Do you think that because the characters are not #ownvoices, this is an impediment to representation, regardless of the manuscript's appeal?

Thank you so much.
Debbie Lehner Rosenberg

AgentJessica

Absolute Sage
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Jessica,
I echo members' thanks for taking out your time to do this.

I checked out your site for the first time and was impressed by the format of the submissions letter with fields pertaining to word-count, previous publications, et al, all of which I would think make it easier for you to glean substantive details about a project without having to pull them out of the query letter.

My question is, how did you decide that you wanted only to read three pages of a submission? I see that some agents may want five or more, though I personally haven't seen anyone want more than ten. I can see how you might get the author's voice from three pages, but can you get much of a grip on the plot or characters? In my case, I have two principal characters, and the reader doesn't even meet one of the two for the first three pages.

Thank you! We love using Query Manager and just recently have been hearing more and more from authors who like it too. That's terrific to know since the goal is not only to make our own query management easier, but also to make tracking and responses easier for authors.

I have to admit, I'm not sure I remember how I decided on three pages. It does seem rather arbritrary and I guess it is. It might have been the default when I first set up my forms.

i don't always read the three pages sent with the query. In fact, more often times I don't. I trust the query to entice me to want to read more in the same way I trust the cover copy to entice me to buy a book. Only if I am questioning whether I still want to read after the query (or cover blurb) do I open the pages (or book) to get a sense of the voice and writing.

AgentJessica

Absolute Sage
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Jessica. I have one more question.

My current WIP features several diverse characters, both ethnically and one with a disability. They are not, however, #ownvoices. I'm thinking about reaching out to sensitivity readers to ensure quality and authenticity.

Do you think that because the characters are not #ownvoices, this is an impediment to representation, regardless of the manuscript's appeal?

Thank you so much.
Debbie Lehner Rosenberg

This is certainly a conversation that needs to be had and needs to be had a lot. It's also one that any agency you submit to, who expresses interest in the book, will have. It's hard to give a solid answer without knowing more details, but I guess I would say that if you're asking the question do you already know the answer? My other question is, why the need to write diverse characters? It will also come into play are these primary or secondary characters? Are you trying to appropriate something that isn't your story to tell or is it appropriate to what you're writing?

I think if you feel you need to ask the question about sensitivity readers you probably already know the answer. As for whether or not it's an impediment to representation, it could be, but you'll only know if you try.

I hope that helps in some way.

Alan Aspie

Registered
Reaction score
I might need an agent some day.

Can you give me tips about where and how to seek for an agent that has good understanding in literature connected to autistic spectrum and/or ADHD.

I am autistic myself. (Asperger's Syndrome.) And I did work years in developing... I don't know the right word. Rehab is a bit too heavy. Therapy is a bit too medical. How to manage with every day life.

Sorry about my lousy English.

Alan Aspie

Registered
Reaction score
...might have a hook that always grabs me (magical realism with food for example)

Let me give you a tasting of my famous Cinnamon Chili. It contains about 70 - 80% Chocolate Habanero and some secret ingredients...

First dose is free but drinks after that are not...

(I think this is magical realism with food...)

Last edited:

Pampurrs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authorpamanders.com
Hi Jessica,

I released the first (mystery/suspense) book in a series about six weeks ago, and sales are doing fairly well on Amazon, with great reviews (all five star so far). I published it through my own publishing company, which is a remnant of my magazine publishing days; but I'm seriously considering going to a trade publisher for my subsequent works. I'm working on the second entry in the series, which I hope to have finished and polished by mid-January.

My question is, would you be willing to consider picking me up as a client, based on the merits of the first book in the series? I understand that I'd still have to go through your normal manuscript processes for the next book, but I'm just curious if reading the current "in-print" book would be helpful.

I'm not asking for a commitment, but rather just to get a general idea.

Thanks,

Pam Anders

AgentJessica

Absolute Sage
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I might need an agent some day.

Can you give me tips about where and how to seek for an agent that has good understanding in literature connected to autistic spectrum and/or ADHD.

I am autistic myself. (Asperger's Syndrome.) And I did work years in developing... I don't know the right word. Rehab is a bit too heavy. Therapy is a bit too medical. How to manage with every day life.

Sorry about my lousy English.

I don't know that you'll find an easy list of agents who personally connect with any marginalized community. However, there are a lot of agents out there who have their own personal connections to autisim and ADHD. My suggestion is being open in your query about being autistic and query as anyone would until you find that agent who gets it and who you connect with.

AgentJessica

Absolute Sage
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Jessica,

I released the first (mystery/suspense) book in a series about six weeks ago, and sales are doing fairly well on Amazon, with great reviews (all five star so far). I published it through my own publishing company, which is a remnant of my magazine publishing days; but I'm seriously considering going to a trade publisher for my subsequent works. I'm working on the second entry in the series, which I hope to have finished and polished by mid-January.

My question is, would you be willing to consider picking me up as a client, based on the merits of the first book in the series? I understand that I'd still have to go through your normal manuscript processes for the next book, but I'm just curious if reading the current "in-print" book would be helpful.

I'm not asking for a commitment, but rather just to get a general idea.

Thanks,

Pam Anders

Picking up the next in a series to take it to another publisher is tricky business and often only done if the first book had outstanding sales, record-breaking. Most publishers will be pleased to see strong sales on a self-published book, but would like to use those as ammunition for something new, not for more of.

Alan Aspie

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know that you'll find an easy list of agents who personally connect.. ..personal connections...

Thank you.

I suppose I did not make myself clear.

I did not try to ask about personal connections to autism or empathy or...

I tried to ask if you know anyone with good knowledge, understanding...

If and when I will write about things that have a connection to autistic spectrum, there will be only one important question: does this help Aspies (or ADHD:s) or not. And that day I will need a agent that can evaluate that question by his/her own knowledge and understanding.

If it helps, it sells. If it sells, some publishing house takes it.

If it does not help, it should not get published - no matter what I think and no matter if it sells or not.

Knowing things personally is ok, good. But I seek more. I seek knowledge about that field of information and literacy that is meant to help Aspies and ADHD:s.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
I seek knowledge about that field of information and literacy that is meant to help Aspies and ADHD:s.
An agent might not be the best person to ask this question of. People who specialize in help for those problems would seem a better source of info, as that is their area of expertise.

AgentJessica

Absolute Sage
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you.

I suppose I did not make myself clear.

I did not try to ask about personal connections to autism or empathy or...

I tried to ask if you know anyone with good knowledge, understanding...

If and when I will write about things that have a connection to autistic spectrum, there will be only one important question: does this help Aspies (or ADHD:s) or not. And that day I will need a agent that can evaluate that question by his/her own knowledge and understanding.

If it helps, it sells. If it sells, some publishing house takes it.

If it does not help, it should not get published - no matter what I think and no matter if it sells or not.

Knowing things personally is ok, good. But I seek more. I seek knowledge about that field of information and literacy that is meant to help Aspies and ADHD:s.

My apologies. I did understand your question and I do know a number of agents, especially at BookEnds, who have personal connections and empathy (not necessarily one and the same), but the right agent will also depend on what you're writing. An agent for SFF might be different from an agent for nonfiction. Also, the editor at the publisher will come into play in a big way as well since that's the person who will ultimately work with you to make your manuscript a book. The agent is just the first step.

My suggestion is that if you feel you need an expert's opinion in any book you are writing you find the expert to work with you, either as a co-author or an editor. Fiction authors do this with sensitivity readers or experts in something like, let's say, police procedure. Part of the writing process is being the one to ensure that the information is accurate. An editor and agent will work with you to make sure your work is connecting to readers, but they are looking from a reader's perspective and would expect that the information you are writing is accurate in other ways.

I hope that helps a little more.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Jessica thanks so much for answering our questions for a month. It's very much appreciated.

You deserve a round of thanks and many rep comments letting you know that you did make a difference.

We hope you will come back; our door is always open.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Thank you so much, Jessica! :Clap: You took a lot of time out of your undoubtedly busy schedule to help us out, and I'm sure every single person here is grateful. :heart: I hope we'll see you around going forward. Again, thank you so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.