Jessica Faust of Book Ends Literary Ask An Agent Guest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan Aspie

Registered
Reaction score
1. My apologies. I did understand your question...

2. the right agent will also depend on what you're writing.

3. My suggestion is that if you feel you need an expert's opinion in any book you are writing you find the expert to work with you, either as a co-author or an editor.

4.An editor and agent will work with you to make sure your work is connecting to readers, but they are looking from a reader's perspective and would expect that the information you are writing is accurate in other ways.

5. I hope that helps a little more.

1. Happens all the time. No need to apologies.

I usually ask totally different questions than others. And quite often people hear the questions or type of questions they are used to hear. Then I get an answer that does not have much to do with what I asked.

2. Self help that can be partial help in professional working also.

3. I am some kind of expert.

I can't tell about this more without a risk of identifying myself here in Finland.

I will of course use other experts in their fields of wisdom and knowledge.

4. One of my biggest motivations is to help and to take care that any evil side effects of help stay down.

The way some information is presented effects really much to how it will be received.

My audiences both in writing and lecturing have been professionals, families/parents, Aspies... How to present information and methods is very delicate thing. Both the potential agent and the potential publishing house must understand that.

(Analogy: Someone writes about anorexia. Text is useful and good, but it is presented with too big promises and wrong kind of marketing. Then sad things happen. And... To me it is very, very important to avoid any risk of "sad things happening". Misunderstood good advice becomes very easily bad advice and I want to avoid that.)

5. It did. Thank you.

I hope I could make myself more clear.

Last edited:

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jessica thanks so much for answering our questions for a month. It's very much appreciated.

You deserve a round of thanks and many rep comments letting you know that you did make a difference.

We hope you will come back; our door is always open.

+1

Thanks for taking the time to answer so many questions, Jessica. The whole thread has been very informative.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
I add my thanks too, Jessica. I've referred to your advice a number times; it has all been quite helpful. Thank you, again.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Jessica. I learned a lot from this thread and the many questions you helped writers with, including my own question. It was VERY kind of you to offer your time for everyone!

GOTHOS

Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if the thread is still going, but--

On a Youtube podcast, I heard one SF writer claim that he found his agent through following said agent via Twitter and blog.

This sounds like a long shot to me, but I suppose it's no worse than trying to make contact with an agent at a convention.

In your personal experience, Jessica, have you ever heard of people acquiring agents in this or similar manners?

Oh well, guess it ended in October like the OP said...

Last edited:

MTaylorUSA

Registered
Reaction score
I just logged onto this site for the first time this week and gobbled up every post in this thread. Thanks to everyone--and especially Jessica--for contributing to such an informative discussion. It was really great!

Status
Not open for further replies.