New Magnum P.I.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Did anyone see the first episode of the rebooted Magnum P.I.? And how did you feel about it?

I enjoyed the old Magnum, this one, not so much. The basic set up is the same, but I don't like the new Thomas Magnum. Tom Selleck played the guy as a big, amiable guy, willing to take things easy unless force was needed. Even his conflict with Higgins was ongoing but not intense.
The new guy is evidently going for 'edgy bad-boy', which I suspect will get really tiresome very soon. To my mind, he's already skating close to the edge of 'jerk'.

And all his 'new' buddies are 'special'. The new Higgins isn't just ex-Army, no, she's ex MI-6. The guy who runs the food stand doesn't just 'know people', he used to be a cryptographer. Etc. And it's only the first episode. These are things that could be gradually introduced, not just dumped on us all at once.

I am willing to give the military thing a bye, as the old Magnum was in the Navy, too, but for a first episode, there was, to my mind a huge overplaying of the 'group rings', 'once a Navy buddy, always a Navy buddy' thing. It's like they're trying out for 'NCIS Hawaii'.

Which wouldn't be a bad show, really.

mewellsmfu

Registered
Reaction score
I read a review of the pilot that said the show promised a lot of "will they or won't they" between Magnum and Higgins. Then the reviewer said that the new Magnum and Higgins had as much sexual chemistry as the old Magnum and Higgins. I don't remember the site or the exact quote but I thought it rather clever.

I just don't think you can reinvent a show that revolved around a charismatic iconic lead like Tom Selleck. And his relationship with Higgins was part of the fun. Magnum's charm was in his refusal to take himself seriously and not just anyone can pull that off.

I'll pass on this one.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I gave up halfway through the episode. It's garbage.
Thank you for validating my feelings.

I read a review of the pilot that said the show promised a lot of "will they or won't they" between Magnum and Higgins. Then the reviewer said that the new Magnum and Higgins had as much sexual chemistry as the old Magnum and Higgins. I don't remember the site or the exact quote but I thought it rather clever.
Of course, they're promising lots of 'will they, won't they'. I shuddered at the thought of it as soon as I saw her, a pretty, young woman.
The original Magnum and Higgins had a somewhat adversarial relationship, based on nothing more than two guys with different personalities. This pair will do to the show what romance did to 'Moonlighting', if this show lasts that long. Although faster, and less subtly.

Fine, bring a female main character into the boys club - why not an older woman with a past of her own, and undetermined links to Robin Masters? Or, his mother - looking out for her boy's interests? But Angela Lansbury wouldn't touch this dreck with a pole of any length.

And, yeah, the reviewer was right about the chemistry.

I just don't think you can reinvent a show that revolved around a charismatic iconic lead like Tom Selleck. And his relationship with Higgins was part of the fun. Magnum's charm was in his refusal to take himself seriously and not just anyone can pull that off.

I'll pass on this one.
'Refusal to take himself seriously' - that's the phrase I was trying to get! That made for a certain lightness in the show itself, and emphasised the difference between Magnum, and Higgins.

I'll be passing as well.

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I gave up halfway through the episode. It's garbage.
Thank you for validating my feelings.

Of course, they're promising lots of 'will they, won't they'. I shuddered at the thought of it as soon as I saw her, a pretty, young woman.
The original Magnum and Higgins had a somewhat adversarial relationship, based on nothing more than two guys with different personalities. This pair will do to the show what romance did to 'Moonlighting', if this show lasts that long. Although faster, and less subtly.
Fine, bring in a female main character - why not an older woman with a past of her own, and undetermined links to Robin Masters? Or, his mother - looking out for her boy's interests? But Angela Lansbury wouldn't touch this dreck with a pole of any length.

And, yeah, the reviewer was right about the chemistry.

I'll pass on this one.
'Refusal to take himself seriously' - that's the phrase I was trying to get! That made for a certain lightness in the show itself, and emphasised the difference between Magnum, and Higgins.

I'll be passing as well.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
That was exactly my thought the instant I saw the new Higgins.
Yes, someone to balance out Magnum, not join in the hijinx unless absolutely necessary.
Heck, make her ex-MI-6, but have her keep her yap shut about it. It's the past, she's retired, and she came here for a promised quiet life in the sun. Imply staff, keeping the place up, while she merely supervises. A nice, tidy, orderly life in beautiful surroundings. That's what Robin Masters promised her.
Then this young punk shows up, with his dubious friends, making trouble, and bringing it to the house.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
This is why reboots, though popular with networks as an easy route to revenue, are never really all that great.

I never tuned in, nor do I plan to...Same goes for:

Dirty Dancing
Top Gun
Magnum PI
Predator
Lethal Weapon
Murphy Brown
Hawaii-50
Rambo
Rosanne
Fuller House
The Odd Couple
MacGyver
Charlie's Angels
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
The Fugitive
Roadhouse
The Lion King
Naked Gun
Oceans 8 (because Oceans 11, 12 and 13 weren't enough...)

Hmmm....maybe that'd be a thread worth starting - how many reboots is Hollywood going to try to pass off as new material within a 3 year period? Is original content really that​ hard to produce?

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
What?! No moustache!!??? *thumbs down*

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Count me in the "I'll pass" category. I enjoyed the old show a lot, and this just lands flat on its ass as an idea for a series, basically a lame admission of lazy programming. Kind of like trying to bring back Have Gun, Will Travel with Keanu Reeves as the star. Mepredicts it dies a quick death. I'm not even going to watch it.

caw

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A little far fetched with all the CIA stuff. Nah, I may watch another episode and I may watch another FBI episode before giving up on either of them, but both pilots were the standard tropey action-dramas or whatever the genre name is for them.

But don't take my word for it, I loathe sit-coms too.

Wesley_S_Lewis

Boo Radley with a laptop
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.WesleySLewis.com
A little far fetched with all the CIA stuff. Nah, I may watch another episode and I may watch another FBI episode before giving up on either of them, but both pilots were the standard tropey action-dramas or whatever the genre name is for them.

But don't take my word for it, I loathe sit-coms too.

I haven't watched the pilot yet, but I was a fan of the old show (mostly in syndication in the '90s). However, my wife and I tried watching a couple of episodes of the old series a few weeks ago, and it is schlocky as hell.

I suspect that part of the problem with the reboot is that society has a different standard for quality television than it did thirty-five years ago. An episodic network drama in which the characters are all ex-badasses who run around in half-million-dollar cars and solve mysteries doesn't satisfy the same niche it once did. The types of viewers who were the target audience for Magnum P.I. in the '80s have seen much better versions (e.g., FX's Justified) of the laid-back-tough-guy concept in recent years and can find better action/suspense shows (e.g., Amazon's Jack Ryan) via streaming. Rather than focusing on making the pilot look like a big-budget Hollywood blockbuster, maybe the network and showrunner should have focused on updating the characters and story in a way that would resonate with modern audiences.

With that said, I like Jay Hernandez and hope the show finds its footing. He's due a good role.

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Agreed with all the above, with the addendum that the acting chops from all concerned are poor to nil.

I know, I know; it's just an action TV show with plenty of "I blowed up that car real good!" pyrotechnics, but unless the writing's sharp and the lines delivered convincingly, all you're left with is wallpaper.

Wesley_S_Lewis

Boo Radley with a laptop
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.WesleySLewis.com
Agreed with all the above, with the addendum that the acting chops from all concerned are poor to nil.

I know, I know; it's just an action TV show with plenty of "I blowed up that car real good!" pyrotechnics, but unless the writing's sharp and the lines delivered convincingly, all you're left with is wallpaper.

I try to give a show a few episodes before I come down too hard on the actors--it can take everyone involved a little time to find their rhythm. That's not to say there aren't shows where everyone "clicks" in the first episode, but it's pretty common for a good show to take a little time to find its tone and theme, and that can leave the actors struggling to flesh out characters that are underwritten or poorly conceived.

If you get halfway through the season and nothing has improved, the acting probably isn't going to get much better; however, a lot of good shows have pilots marred by wooden performances.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Half a season? I'm not devoting that much time to any show unless I really like one of the actors, or the premise is fascinating. This show does not do either of those things for me. If it really changes, 'finds' it's groove, whatever, I'll catch it in reruns.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
The original lived and died by Tom Selleck's charisma, and his ability to play off other characters who were quite well written. I haven't watched this show, but the clips don't look promising.

I agree - an older female Higgins would be more interesting than a young female love interest, if for no other reason than if the chemistry doesn't work quickly between them, where does that leave the show? But if it does work - well, again, where does it leave the show?

And, just maybe, there could be some chemistry develop - slowly, with proper writing - between an older Higgins and a younger Magnum? Naaah, Hollywood wouldn't dare.

Wesley_S_Lewis

Boo Radley with a laptop
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.WesleySLewis.com
Half a season? I'm not devoting that much time to any show unless I really like one of the actors, or the premise is fascinating. This show does not do either of those things for me. If it really changes, 'finds' it's groove, whatever, I'll catch it in reruns.

My comment about waiting half a season was in reference to the acting alone, not the overall quality of the show. Sometimes it takes the actors a while to hone the characters.

However, I watched the pilot, and I honestly think the problem is the writing. The show has an experienced, competent cast, but the dialog and story in that first episode are hackneyed as hell. Rather than focusing on making the pilot look like a summer blockbuster, the producers and show runner should have focused on crafting a narrative that appeals to viewers who have seen a lot of shows (e.g., FX's Justified) featuring bad boy heroes who don't take themselves too seriously and who have a lot of options (e.g., Amazon's Jack Ryan) when it comes to action thrillers.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't seen the pilot, but ... the original Magnum was charming and a bit unique because he *wasn't* a "bad boy." He was a good man, and much too laid back to fall into the uber-clichéd bad boy trope.

I am so. sick. of. bad. boys.

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
I loved the original, so I was curious about this show. After reading the comments, my first reaction to it seems to be valid and I'm glad I didn't watch. I just can't see Magnum PI with anyone but Tom Selleck. But I am a bit biased. I've had a crush on the man since I was 5.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Well, if you're curious, never hurts to give it a try. Think of it as some totally other P.I. show, and try to ignore that it's claiming to be Magnum. I have to admit the promo ads didn't look promising, but I still gave it (one) chance.

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
Well, if you're curious, never hurts to give it a try. Think of it as some totally other P.I. show, and try to ignore that it's claiming to be Magnum. I have to admit the promo ads didn't look promising, but I still gave it (one) chance.

I didn't mean curious as in I wanted to watch it. More curious on how they would mess it up. Because I knew it would be nothing like the original, which I adore. And just from watching the commercials, the lead guy bugs me.

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't mean curious as in I wanted to watch it. More curious on how they would mess it up. Because I knew it would be nothing like the original, which I adore. And just from watching the commercials, the lead guy bugs me.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Nope.

I agree that Tom Selleck WAS this show. To be fair, the original supporting cast was great, but, as others have said, the show's success revolved around Magnum's dimpled charm and sweet charisma. I have no problem with Higgins being a woman, in fact, I think that's a great twist on the character. But a possible love interest? No.

Also, This woman is very young and is just coming off a full career with MI-6. How would she have managed to write all those best-sellers and amass that prodigious fortune? We all remember that Higgins IS Robin Masters, don't we?

ETA: I looked it up and that theory is neither proved nor disproved. However, the identity of Robin Masters was an underlying plot-point for the last few seasons.

Last edited:

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
I watched the pilot and watched the next two and will watch this evening because I'm curious about it.

The writing is not great, which irks me. (A lot of backstory that's being shoveled - not just shoehorned - in.) But I do like the characters. I do hope that Higgins turns out to be queer because I am not keen on the idea of a romance between her and Magnum.

I will say that eps 2 and 3 felt a lot more like the original show. (Magnum takes a case that rapidly devolves into a completely different situation with a touch of the absurd at points. [Episode 2 started with a giant missing tuna.]) It still beats the hell out of the NBC show my kiddo wants to watch afterward (Manifest). But, it's not necessarily a gem of a show, just entertaining so far. (I also suspect they'll be doing a crossover mid-season or end-season with Hawaii Five-O as there are some crossover characters already.)

Wesley_S_Lewis

Boo Radley with a laptop
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.WesleySLewis.com
Nope.

I agree that Tom Selleck WAS this show. To be fair, the original supporting cast was great, but, as others have said, the show's success revolved around Magnum's dimpled charm and sweet charisma. I have no problem with Higgins being a woman, in fact, I think that's a great twist on the character. But a possible love interest? No.

Also, This woman is very young and is just coming off a full career with MI-6. How would she have managed to write all those best-sellers and amass that prodigious fortune? We all remember that Higgins IS Robin Masters, don't we?

ETA: I looked it up and that theory is neither proved nor disproved. However, the identity of Robin Masters was an underlying plot-point for the last few seasons.

As I understand it, the idea of Higgins being Robin Masters came about after the producers' original plan to feature Orson Welles as Robin Masters was nixed by Welles's death.

In the pilot of the reboot, Magnum states that Robin Masters was an embedded reporter with Magnum's SEAL team, so it seems that the reboot wants to clearly establish that Higgins and Masters are two separate people.

BTW, are the subsequent episodes worth watching, or are they as cheesy as the pilot?

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
BTW, are the subsequent episodes worth watching, or are they as cheesy as the pilot?

Still pretty cheesy. I liked them better than the pilot episode over all, but the writing is still... rough. The fellows playing Rick and TC are pretty solid though, and they are slowly introducing more supporting characters which helps. But it's never going to be Westworld or Game of Thrones quality writing.

Popcorn entertainment for me.