Photo and Line Art Image Problems

short-circuit

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ejjurich.com
I have a print book on Amazon originally through CreateSpace. I uploaded the manuscript using a standard PDF file generated in WORD. It's a technical book heavy with illustrations both photo and line art. Over time using the same process through three updated files the results were printed proofs and books that looked great. I am considering using using a second source for printing and possible distribution. I first tried Dickinson Press dpdigitalbooks.com. I uploaded the exact same PDF file I used with CreateSpace. When I got the printed proof both photos and line art looked terrible, washed out. According to support there were two problems. First many of the images were color and needed to be B&W for a B&W book. Second I had to upload the PDF as PDF/X-1. I converted all images to grayscale. The only options for generating a PDF/X-1 were all expensive. I did find that PDF Creator will generate a PDF/X-3. From what I researched the PDF/X-3 should work. I uploaded the PDF/X-3 file and ordered another proof. The second proof looks as bad as the first.
Has anyone had problems with print on demand images looking bad? Is the PDF/X-1 file really that critical? I find this a bit odd considering I sent CreateSpace a standard PDF with color images for a B&W book with great results.

Michael Myers

Take a chance. Amaze yourself.
Registered
Reaction score
In the carpenter's shop eating oysters with the wa
Website
www.dancerandspy.com
While I don't deal with technical illustrations, the engineer in me suggests that the first thing to do is compare the dots of both under at least 10x and preferably 20x. Look for any evidence of creating a synthetic image of black using an overlay of colors vs. using a source of pure black. Should that be inconclusive, then cut a small ribbon of sample from each, dip both into an effective solvent and hang to dry. Start with water as a solvent and go from there if need be. If that should be inconclusive, then sit back in your chair, sip tea, and scratch your head because the answer is obviously in front of you but you can't see it. Yet.

It could be nothing to with PDF this or PDF that, but rather with the means each uses to reproduce your images.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
You really do want PDF-X1. It does make a difference.

Here's a good explanation.

Your local printing service shop or something like Kinkos should be able to help you. Bring all your files on a USB drive.

You will have to pay, but it's not going to be hugely expensive. Make sure they understand what you are planning to do.

short-circuit

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ejjurich.com
I like Michael's explanation. I read the blurb on PDF/X-1 and apparently PDF/X-3 is acceptable, just not in the US. There are no Kinkos in small town Iowa. There is one shop downtown that does more traditional printing. I'll check with them and see if they can make a compliant PDF/X-1. Considering that CreateSpace was able to do a great job with a non-compliant PDF makes me wonder what they do.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I like Michael's explanation. I read the blurb on PDF/X-1 and apparently PDF/X-3 is acceptable, just not in the US. There are no Kinkos in small town Iowa. There is one shop downtown that does more traditional printing. I'll check with them and see if they can make a compliant PDF/X-1. Considering that CreateSpace was able to do a great job with a non-compliant PDF makes me wonder what they do.

One thing they do is handle fonts differently; your printer will need embedded fonts. This is a fairly easy thing to do for someone who has InDesign or Adobe Acrobat; I bet there's someone who can help. You might try the public library, if they have any kind of computer support.

short-circuit

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ejjurich.com
I just had a 'duh' moment. With CreateSpace you could upload either a WORD document or PDF for the book interior. It would not matter what PDF format I used because they convert it for me. In effect they did for free what some other printers charge as a service. I checked and it's the same with KDP Print. I'm thinking that for now I will just use KDP like I did with Createspace and order author copies for resale.