Colonial stirrup stockings--any images?

L.C. Blackwell

Keeper of Fort Blanket
Registered
Reaction score
This is admittedly a fairly wild shot in the dark, but I'm hoping that someone, somewhere, will have come across a print or drawing or other illustration of an American colonial woman riding astride in stirrup stockings. They are said to have protected skirts (and modesty), and were supposedly quite unflattering. I've tried looking through Google Images, but any search for "stirrup stockings" or "colonial stirrup stockings" brings up some decidedly unhistorical results.

Any image of a common woman on a horse in the 18th century seems to be fairly scarce, by the way. I was able to find two images of women riding pillion (behind a man), one American and one appearing European. So if anyone can point me to other images of common or poor British women (not aristocratic ladies) on horseback, either alone or double, about 1730-1760, I'd love to see them.

Thanks very much for hints, tips, etc.! :)

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've also found a website that adds why they'd be so unflattering. Apparently the lady's skirts and petticoats were stuffed inside her stirrup stockings, keeping them clean and giving a measure of protection. The stirrup stockings were six feet around at the top to accommodate all that cloth. See http://www.imh.org/exhibits/online/legacy-of-the-horse/colonial-horses/

Maryn, approving of pants for women

L.C. Blackwell

Keeper of Fort Blanket
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like really big chaps that you tuck your skirts into?

So I gather, but I'm not sure if it would be more like putting your leg through a giant dowel, or into a giant vase/boot-like thing. :Wha: Either way, I think I might opt to ride pillion.

Thanks, Maryn and Admin for the replies and tips above!

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Another option is always to try a different search string like: images for colonial women riding horses, or colonial riding garments.

Just a thought. :)