tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
Regarding the emoticons/smilies: Would there be a hue and cry if I removed some of the current emoticons/smilies to make room for more?

I'm pretty sure I could come up with a way to let people know which ones would be removed, so people could let me know if I'm about to remove one that's beloved and I have overlooked it.

ooooh. I’d be up for that, especially if there were an emoticon for evil laughter, someone going yargh and blowing up, a bunny (for plot bunnies), and a smiley throwing glitter! :greenie. Just. Um. You know, in case you were looking for ideas.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But if you go to Amazon via that link and make a purchase, AW will receive a percentage of the price of most things that you buy; it doesn't affect your cost in any way, and we don't know who bought what.

Smokes! I had no idea, and I buy a lot of ebooks. If I knew that I'd forgotten it. Thanks for the reminder.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
ooooh. I’d be up for that, especially if there were an emoticon for evil laughter, someone going yargh and blowing up, a bunny (for plot bunnies), and a smiley throwing glitter! :greenie. Just. Um. You know, in case you were looking for ideas.

Yeah, the way this works is you find the emoticon. You send me a link to it.

I try to determine who owns the rights to it, and if it's necessary to license it with cash or a statement of rights, etc.

Because yes, people sue over these. And plagiarize them. And, also, I don't like it when someone takes my work and doesn't credit or pay me, so I'm not going to do that.

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
Yep, I totally understand that, Lisa. I’ll have to go track those down. I had some sites bookmarked for back in the old photobucket days that had smilies that were interesting. Oh look, something that means I can procrastinate on edits! Excellent...

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
It never has; I just either do the paperwork to license, or pay the fees. It's never been more than a cup of coffee or so, and some people really like them.

And artists should be paid just as much as writers should be paid.

There was a [ahem] issue a few years ago when some were removed. Never underestimate what a user finds important.

Totally understand and agree - sorry if I gave an impression otherwise...as a photographer, I totally get it, and am on board with paying any artist regardless of their canvas for work performed. Hence why I said that I'm not sure why it surprised me because it shouldn't. Just like the copyright for Happy Birthday (can't sing that on air - I found that one out the hard way myself when I sang it to my co-DJ on a college radio station. We were forgiven and not forced to pay the $1000 fine or whatever it was, but that was my introduction to licensing and copyright!

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
AW is my security blanket.

In case anyone thinks I'm joking, let me say that again. AW is my security blanket!! I would never have even thought to write a book about bullying in schools if it hadn't been for an AW'er who first challenged me. I doubt I would have finished it without the encouragement I got here. And, I seriously doubt it would have been commercially published if it wasn't for an AW'er who showed me how to write a proper proposal. The ups and downs of post-published marketing/sales/promotions etc. would have been a super roller-coaster if it wasn't for the advice and suggestions of AW'ers who helped me keep an even keel.

I'm doing freelance writing now for a living. It's quite scary. But knowing that I can get onto AW if I hit a snag or if I need advice is a lifeline. There is always somebody here who understands the issue and knows how to fix it. IMHO, AW is the best resource any writer can have. I would feel pretty shaky without it.

Lastly, but most importantly: While the social interaction with other writers is wonderful, the friends I've made here are a blessing beyond measure.

So, what would I rate the most important on AW? Office Party and all the threads about writing, publishing, agents, SYW etc*.

*I know. That's super helpful, right?

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
If some of us were inclined to do something such as, say, design emoticons specifically for AW, is there a size preference? I know we have some larger ones, but just want to know what the powers that be would prefer.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
...One change I'd like to see is an annual or semi-annual pledge week in which AW actively seeks to fund-raise from those who use its resources - So push us, at a time when it seems few financial demands are being made on us as a group. Mid-October and mid-March?

Oh, and as the holidays near, put a big flashing arrow and an explanation next to "AW is an Amazon Affiliate" up top.

But I do a lot of my socializing here, so I'd hate to see the Office Party and similar non-writing boards go.
100% in agreement with all of the above ^ - Especially the bolded parts. :Thumbs:

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Absolute Write will be twenty years old, in 2019.

When will the party be?

What do YOU want to see happen here?

Keep the lights on and the doors open.

There are areas I hope will stay if you decide to start trimming. The Office Party and the active treads within. Conquering Challenges. The poetry section. SYW, not that I use it much (once?) but because I know it is a vital resource to lots of people here. Teh Super-Secret Hidden Room. The forums on publishing. The forums on writing. Really any of the forums where we can go to ask those questions we can't easily find answers to by asking Sir Google or that we need more depth of information on. This site is a treasure trove of information.

What do you think keeps you here or brought you here?

I came here because I was writing a novel and I had a question and I couldn't find the answer via Sir Google. I thought someone who was an author would know. Which proved to be well-reasoned logic because my question was answered within a very short period of time. I stayed because of the wonderful people and endless gems of information. But, mostly the people. I have made terrific friends here. And received great support. I started writing poetry again and stayed with it because of this site, because of the poets who supported my journey. I have maintained my vision of becoming an author because of the lovely writers who tell me I can make it and to keep going. I have made it through some really crappy years of situations in my personal life because of people who would listen to me and offer their support and wisdom. The people here are priceless.

How can we give everyone more of what we all love most about the AW community?

Keep the lights on and the doors open.

I'm glad you're here. I'm hoping we find a way to go right on ahead for another twenty years, too.

And I'm ecstatic I'm here. I'm pulling for another twenty years for AW, too. Thank you, Mac.

ZealousNihilist

Registered
Reaction score
In my experience, the best way to maintain is to Trim the fat.
If a forum is dead, let it be dead. Trying to keep it up will only drag the other forums down along with it. We'll survive more ads if that's what it takes to bring in revenue. The community is huge, there are more than a fair number of tech-savvy ladies and gents who can help to streamline the site, saving space, time, and money. AW will survive, but it might find it a tad easier if it adapts to the times more fluidly

Fingers

My cat Toby
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere in the woods around Portland Oregon
What brought me here originally was the chat room. What keeps me here is the way the site is run, the quality of the people, and hell, just plain habit I reckon. Ive been coming here so long its second nature to come each day and see what's new.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Impractically vague: More of what we have now.

In other words, some examples:
Maintain and extend the community atmosphere, especially the RYFW rule (which does wonders for making this place so comfy and homey).
Keep the market knowledge growing. But maybe have more international (publishing) news? E.g., how to promote / get your work known in one of the largest communications network, i.e., WeChat.

The information, initially, brought me here; then I stayed for the people, the atmosphere. And finally, because I found a place where I can contribute (if not much) as well as an internet writing forum to call 'home'.

I think you do enough. There's no place here not to love.

I'm glad you're here. I'm hoping we find a way to go right on ahead for another twenty years, too.
Glad to be here. And finding the right way for the future? I think that's everyone working on the same goal with the admins/mods steering. Personally, IMO, the goal is (and always will be) the writing community, online and offline.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
I came here on the recommendation of a fellow writer and online friend only a month after I started writing. Had I not had the support of this community and the ability to come here for advice, I probably would have quit writing after a couple months just out of frustration and not knowing where to find answers. I certainly wouldn't have eventually decided to own my status as a writer and make it more than a hobby. I truly can't imagine what my life would be like without writing, and I heavily credit AW for helping me reach this point.

I really just want to see the site keep going and be able to come here to find writing and publishing advice I and others might struggle to find otherwise. There's also the community aspect I love so much. These days, due partly to my problems getting focused on writing if I let myself click around online too much, and partly to how I'm most comfortable interacting with a smaller group of people I've gotten to know as opposed to a larger group I don't know well at all, I mostly just post in the Cantina Thread in SFF, and the Royalty Thread here in Office Party. However, I still read other parts of the board and occasionally post as needed, especially in the "General Writing Interest" area, "Research", the entire "Publishing" section, "Bewares, Recommendations, & Background Check". While I haven't specifically used SYW for myself, I have on occasion posted a crit for someone else, and I love that it's available.

This site is truly worth it's weight in gold and I hope it stays around for another 20 years as well. Thank you, Mac, and others who help with running the site, for all the hard work you do.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
One change I'd like to see is an annual or semi-annual pledge week in which AW actively seeks to fund-raise from those who use its resources. ... I suppose if it were necessary we could limit space on the boards that are not writing-focused, with a rate of expiry unless something is pinned. But I do a lot of my socializing here, so I'd hate to see the Office Party and similar non-writing boards go.

As usual, I so agree with Maryn and her insight. Twice I've donated and when the thought of donating again pops in my head, it's three years later. I'd like to see an annual or semiannual pledge drive.

AW is so valuable to, not just writers, but to any thinking person. AW smoothed the walk of my publishing three novels and into my screenplay. AW is also my go-to for politics in the Activism, Current Events, and Hope sub-forum. My horizons have broadened enormously from the varying and well-written perspectives. I also participate in the Writing Exercises.

Thank you to MacAllister and the host of hard-working volunteers who make AW such a tight-knit community. You make the world a better place. :Hug2:

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
I don't write any more, haven't for years. I hadn't been on AW in years (i think), but after Nov 2016 I *needed* P&CE. I still need ACE&Hope. I honestly do not know where (if) I'd be if not for that forum. Conquering Challenges helps too, but really, I need to see the opinions in ACE&Hope because I don't feel like I get access to them anywhere else right now.

This place is cheaper than therapy. I owe you bigtime.

Crayonz

Tribal Flame Warden Ducky
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with what others have said, I'll help however I can to keep the lights on, even if it means more ads, different emoticons (can we keep the green smiley face though? It's my absolute fave, along with the lil dude who shrugs), or forum trimming. The Office Party, the Roundtable, & Conquering Challenges are the first place I check whenever I come back from a hiatus. SYW, Super-Secret Room, & PC&E hold a special place in my heart mostly because I don't think there's anywhere else quite like them on the vast interwebs.

I've been a member of these forums since I was a teenager, so this place feels like my internet home. It's where I always come back to whenever I start writing again or when I'm having a hard time with life in general. Thank you for keeping it going for soo long.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd say enough is being done. You could try to amalgamate some of the sections if you so choose, but that's not my forte-- so I'd leave all that thinking to someone who knows better.

I came here for the experience and stayed for that and the people I encountered here.

It's a good site. Everyone is running it perfectly. Stay the course.

If there has to be more ads, so be it. I don't even mind ads and the fact that, right now, they're book-themed is great. Those types of ads I can deal with all day every day.

SYW and the office party are my go-to's. SYW is the most important.

Last edited:

folclor

Left-Handed Writing Fairy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.angrypossumpublishing.xyz
Wow! 20 years! that's amazing!! I find the forum incredibly useful. It's the only one that I check multiple times a day and have been on for years. I second everyone saying Backgrounds is insanely useful, as is SYW. And Conquering Challenges has been so very helpful. I also agree with the ideas some people have put forth of a yearly drive. That being said, months ago I tried to do an AW subscription and it never went through? But that could just be me being weird on some level

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com

1) I'd like to see more participation from agents/editors/publishers to help de-mystify the publishing world. I'm ecstatic to see Ms. Faust here, and would love to see more, although I'm quite aware everyone has a full plate.

2) What keeps me here is the knowledge that although writing is a solitary task, we're not out there alone. Every more experienced author I visit with helps inspire me and I love working with new authors who're where I was when I started 20+ years ago. Plus, getting leads on possible work is never a bad idea either.

3) What I love here is the camaraderie and the RYFW attitude. We can have differences of opinion but (for the most part) we're willing to listen and consider other people's ideas. Besides, it's good to have a safe place to come vent on occasion (God knows FB & Twitter aren't the place to do it....)

iszevthere

Registered
Reaction score
I also think removing a decade or more of social threads alone, plus other zombie threads, would help. Someday I'll get the courage to submit something to SYW and I like offering feedback when I can. It's big for me. The Research forum has been invaluable, and I'm learning a lot from the Outwitting Writer's Block section. Someone else pointed out that some of the older posts might be removed from SYW, too; I think that's an option as well. Limit little-used emoticons...I agree largely with quite a few ideas that have been suggested. However, I will note that my ideas for the site are less "trim the fat" and more realistically viewed as "cut off entire hunks." I would like the site to stay up and I really want to stay.
I hope that helps!

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I can't imagine a web without AW; actually, I can, but it's not a web I'd spend much time on. I'm not actually in work at the moment, but I kept my subscription to AW open. I'd be genuinely bereft if you guys closed. So thank you, Mac, Lisa, and the moderation team. You guys put the hours in and it means a lot to me.

Like liz said upthread, I start pretty much every visit to the site by hitting "New posts". I cruise by the MTS board for my monthly check-in/accountability thread, but I wouldn't mind if that was in a different place. It's just nice that I know most of the folks who post in that one. (Shout out to the MTS people!)

Besides that, Bewares is essential to AW; it sits at the very core of what AW is and does. Conquering Challenges feels like a really important part of the puzzle, too. SYW and particularly QLH are great, and the RYFW rule makes them work better than most other places I've seen online crits. So those are all indispensable, I think. I'm less able to say what if anything should go, because one of AW's strengths is that there's somewhere for everyone to find their space. That was certainly what appealed to me when I first stopped by.

I hope you can find a way to keep those lights running, because this is probably the best place I know on the web. I mean that.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Happy New Year. Reading through this thread amplifies my gratitude for AW's resilience in still being available on the internet. I've been a member of a few online communities that disappeared on me for one reason or another and have left others behind. I left AW for a couple years recently due to life pressures of an extreme kind just not leaving space for this (though I immediately got super active on Facebook but that is a WHOLE different animal.)

(I now have a small income (SS retirement) and a little flexibility with it and will make a monthly PayPal contribution when my next deposit comes in. Timing it that way so it won't ever come in a lean part of the month. As long as the Feds keep letting me have my money, I'm good.)

The Poetry forums are crucial to me. I know there are perhaps other places online to share work with other poets and get feedback, but if there is another such place that is also surrounded by other conversations, both about writing and about how we are living our lives as humans on earth, well, I ain't found one. The presence of that environmental context of other conversations and groups is what makes the poetry areas so congenial to me, somehow.

Hellz to the yeah! on the idea of the annual funding event. (I recently joined MetaFilter, too, and they have a one time entry fee of five bucks as well as the option to contribute more regularly. I know even five bucks can be too high a paywall for some people some of the time... but one dollar might not be, and those bucks could add up.)