Hi! I write, but you probably guessed that.

sci fi fics

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

My name is Carl. I am a writer (obviously). I have a full time job, a wife, three kids, and a website which I update weekly. With all that, I don't have much of an opportunity to interact with other writers. I came here to rectify that.

I write science fiction and fantasy and try to keep it under 1500 words, but I read long books. Actually, I don't read at all anymore; I listen to books on Audible. I just don't have time to read because I'm too busy writing.

I look forward to meeting a lot of awesome writers, talking about writing, and maybe learning a few things.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome: - Carl - Make yourself at home - If you're lucky, you might find some donuts and a pot of hazelnut coffee in the Lounge. :greenie

MJHeiden

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! I write sci-fi and fantasy as well. Great genres to read and write in! Also, have a wife and a new kid. Tough to find the time to work on your creative side, eh?

sci fi fics

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, it's definitely tough. I have to write during my breaks at work and at night after the kids are in bed.
I've had to give up all video games, cut back on social media use, and generally do nothing that isn't related to work, family, or writing.
It's totally worth it though. Writing is fun.

LesFewer

Registered
Reaction score
Nice meeting you Carl.

Like you I don't have a lot of time to write, I get my 1,000 words a day and that's it.

If it's any help Kafka was an insurance clerk by day and only wrote at night.

Sagml John

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
Website
johnbeaverspen.wordpress.com
Welcome Carl :welcome: Yeah, life gets in the way of my writing too. I have to cruise till an inspirational wave hits (sort of like going in and out of this forum). Have fun in the cooler.

BradCarsten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome Carl! Out of curiosity, have you ever wanted to write something longer?
I also listen more than I read, but I usually convert my books using a text-to-speech reader, and listen that way. Its amazing how many books you can plough through while travelling and doing the chores.

sci fi fics

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I definitely want to write longer things, but I just don't have time for it now. I post a story every week on my website. That requires me to write the story, edit it, get feedback, edit again, polish, acquire an image, and post it - all within a week.
I am planning to write sequels to some of my stories. Eventually, I will have several serials, but I haven't gotten that far yet.