Publishing history

Mercurial

Registered
Reaction score
I have been advised that a query letter should note, or provide links to, material that has seen the light of print, or has been published on line. Some of my stuff has been published, but the stuff was published ages ago.

Should I decline to note material published more than three years ago, five years ago, ten. Where should I draw the cut off. Also, in querying fiction, can I refer to non fiction political critiques that were published. (None of my fiction has been published)

I thank the readers for their sage advice

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
I've never provided links, but I have listed short story publications.

I personally would list anything published as an adult (not as a child) and which is also relevant. I'm not sure, from your description, that those publications are relevant unless for example, you are writing a highly political novel and those critiques show off your expertise.

Basically there are no hard and fast rules, you can put what you feel comfortable with and what you think is relevant. It's also okay to have nothing at all, or to list things other than writing (ie jobs) that might have lent a flavour or experience to your writing.

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
It's fine to say that your non-fiction work was published in---wherever they were published. You don't need links or more detail. The point is to let the agent know that someone, somewhere, deemed your writing worth publishing, which means there's a chance your fiction is as well.