Seeking advice

Umgowa

Registered
Reaction score
As background, I want to state that my cover art must be illustrated as dictated by my genre. I know the cardinal rule of cover design is to give your cover a look that is consistent with other successful books in your genre. Having said that, I have come up with two concept ideas. My illustrator is poised to take those concepts to the first level (bare bones). She volunteered that she could also do a new design based on her own creativity. That would bring the total concepts to three @ $150 each. . . at the bare bones level.

I am tempted to let her loose with her creativity and include her own creation. One never knows where creative inspiration might come from. I would then go and test all three against one another . . . a simple preference test . . perhaps on this site or another and with personal contacts. I'd like to know from the more experienced self-published authors if the above plan sounds reasonable. Let me know your thoughts.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I wouldn't recommend doing this as a poll or the like. You want to know why people like a particular concept. It doesn't matter for toffee if someone likes a cover because it looks like the romances they read when you've written a gritty thriller. I've seen plenty of responses to covers where people don't like it because it's not what they read.

Comments on things like genre-appropriateness and composition are a lot more useful. You might also find that people like an element of one cover and an element of another, so the final design will be a mixture. That's why it's better just to show the pictures and ask for feedback, rather than simply asking which people like best.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If your designer is experienced in book covers, listen to them. If not, listen to them anyway. :)

Jeff