Department of Health and Human Services diverting $266 million to child detention

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, to keep children in cages and other forms of detention, the Trump administration is taking over $260 million from "other refugee support programs within ORR, which have seen their needs significantly diminished as the Trump administration makes drastic cuts to the annual refugee numbers" and "other programs, including $16.7 million from Head Start, $5.7 million from the Ryan White HIV/AIDS program and $13.3 million from the National Cancer Institute. Money is also being diverted from programs dedicated to mental and maternal health, women’s shelters and substance abuse."

This will barely be a blip in the news. Those who will be hit hard by this but stick to Fox News won't know why their lives are harder, why their child dies, why they can't get help for addiction. They won't know and they'll vote for again Trump and his enablers.

I've been trying to find something we can do, but HHS can apparently do this.

I was 16 in 1977 when diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma. Had a 20-30% chance of survival under the usual treatment, but there was something new we could try, but it was so new there were no stats. We took a chance, and I got the protocol that raised survival rates for my cancer to over 90%. That's how research saved my life.

But that treatment was harsh, and it's why I am disabled and dying now. I remember going to my radiation oncologist for a checkup one year, just one year, after my treatment ended and the excitedly techs showing me the brand new accelerator that meant less scatter. It's why friends diagnosed years after me might still be fertile, might not have the level of muscle atrophy, heart failure. It's why doctors who haven't seen many survivors as old as I am sometimes don't understand that yes, my crumbling jaw and blocked tear duct are from radiation scarring. It's wonderful and exciting to see. The kids before me didn't live; the kids after me will live healthier and longer. I've participated in a lot of studies to help that along. There will be less of those studies, less money for the ones there are. And that's just one set of programs being cut.

shadowsminder

writing in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowsinmind.carrd.co
I'm scared of this news. I've been scared of this presidential administration since it formed, though. All of this is consistent with the few honest promises Trump has made since campaigning.

What we need to do is pull the Trump administration out of the White House. Its going to continue attacking the nation.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I'm scared of this news. I've been scared of this presidential administration since it formed, though. All of this is consistent with the few honest promises Trump has made since campaigning.

Sickeningly, in some ways he really has been the most consistent candidate-to-"elected"-official in decades. He showed the world what he was: a misogynistic, bigoted, xenophobic, cronyist bully with no grasp of policy and a long history of stiffing the working class. He never made any secret of what he was. And be darned if he didn't turn out to be exactly what he said.

As for removal, I fear that would take someone actually taking the formerly-GOP back from what it's allowed itself to become in pursuit of power - and if it hasn't happened by now, it will take a literal act of God at this point.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited: