Don't Make My Mistake

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
So, I wrote and pubbed a book, The Golden Key, that I'm really proud of.

It had three beta readers, two of them from AW. All of them amazing.

I bought a copy as soon as it released. Still looked good.

Then I advertised. I went with a guy from kboards who other folks there had used in the past, and he seemed to have good results.

But I forgot to check the Look Inside until the advertising run was over. Epic fail on my part.

This was the first book I've pubbed that included a map. The first thing potential readers saw when they pulled up the Look Inside was my map, stretched beyond recognition. I had to scroll down something like three pages worth to get to text.

At least the experience wasn't a complete loss, and it was money I could afford to lose. As part of the package, I got to use the Hidden Gems reviewer service much faster than I otherwise would. (Normally, they have something like a six-month waiting period.) The reviews were overall positive, and a few were incredible. My favorite: "Not what I expected. It was so much more."

But otherwise, I spent $230 to net about 25 sales. I figured I wouldn't break even because it was a novelette, and I was selling at $.99. Novelettes have much smaller potential audiences. But I was expecting to do better than that.

Then I checked the Look Inside. Aargh!

It was no problem to get the Look Inside fixed. An email to Amazon and a day's wait.

So, whenever you publish a book, buy a copy, and CHECK THE LOOK INSIDE. Learn from my mistake. :)

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Damn. That's such a shame. I'm so sorry.

Onward and upward, and all that.

ASeiple

Livin' la vida biblia
Registered
Reaction score
It's hellish, yeah. Thank gods its an e-book issue, though! A quick fix, less than a day to let it process, and boom, done.

Everybody makes mistakes. There's no shame, so long as you fix them as best and as fast as you can.

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh dear! Nothing worse than finding a mistake after you've published. :Hug2:

As others have said, though, an easy mistake to make. Thanks for posting.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so sorry CathleenT.

Before you actually release the book, get readers to test the ebook on different devices.

Have them: Look at the cover, check Look Inside, test each link in the TOC, look at each chapter opening, and page through the book even if they don't read every single page.

Fullon_v4.0

Shard Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rtdriver90.tumblr.com
Thanks for sharing. I'm about to publish another book at the end of the month and I nearly forgot the golden rule of downloading a copy for yourself!

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry. :cry:Yeah, I agree to check that Look Inside first. The problem is these days it takes so long to generate. It can be a week or more before it shows up, which can throw a wrench in an author's promo plans.

Last edited:

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have a kindle so before uploading I always check mine though the Kindle for PC and usually if it's okay there it's fine when the Look Inside comes out.

BradCarsten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The exact same thing happened to my map when I first published, and I found a few others who were having the same problem. There must be a bug in their system.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
I've had to rein in this impulse to hurry up and show the world my wonderful stuff with every single book, seven so far. I suspect that's true of most of us. So, yeah, easy mistake to make.

I've found it useful to show my ebooks not only on my PC but also on my smartphone. I also always create a "pbook" on CreateSpace and buy a proof copy. Very few of my pbooks sell (about one out of a hundred) but it helps to have yet another format to help me catch errors. Also nice to have a book or two to give to friends. They probably won't read them, not being sci-fi readers, but it proves I actually DID SOMETHING!

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. :)

I'm over it, and it was no big deal in the long run. Like I said, Golden Key was never going to be huge because of its length, and it was money I could afford to lose. I'm hoping I can spare someone else the same mistake, though, especially if their advertising was every last dime they could scrape up.

Last edited:

kmarcks

Registered
Reaction score
About five days ago I got an email from Kindle Direct Publishing that states that there are new "image placement and sizing features" in Kindle Create 1.12. I haven't tried it yet and my WIP doesn't contain any images so I haven't looked in any detail but things might be better now.

(Edit) Back in the day, when I used to design websites (Using Netscape) I noticed that a web page could look very different on different browsers, so I used to check them on as many browsers as I could. I would not be surprised if a book might look very different on different platforms as well.

Last edited: