Questions to ask when interviewing freelance editors

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Hello!

Yesterday I was surfing around the boards looking into editorial services. I saw a nice list of questions to have in mind when looking for a copy editor. https://absolutewrite.com/forums/sh...s-What-should-I-ask-a-prospective-copy-editor

But I can't find a similar list for developmental editors. I've poked around with the search function and have scribbled down a few resources, like an AW member's services and recommendations on considerations. I thought I'd also just ask if such a list exists on AW, or if people have questions they'd recommend.

I'm also poking around through various blogs and such. So this post is one line of inquiry... due diligence and so on.

What should I ask a prospective developmental editor?

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Hello!

Yesterday I was surfing around the boards looking into editorial services. I saw a nice list of questions to have in mind when looking for a copy editor. https://absolutewrite.com/forums/sh...s-What-should-I-ask-a-prospective-copy-editor

But I can't find a similar list for developmental editors. I've poked around with the search function and have scribbled down a few resources, like an AW member's services and recommendations on considerations. I thought I'd also just ask if such a list exists on AW, or if people have questions they'd recommend.

I'm also poking around through various blogs and such. So this post is one line of inquiry... due diligence and so on.

Ask for references.

Ask what publishers they've worked with.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Old Hack! I love you honey, but I specifically linked that in my opening post. :tongue

I'm looking for questions to ask a developmental editor.

Serial comma usage (etc) can wait...

editor17

Banned
Reaction score
Hello!

Yesterday I was surfing around the boards looking into editorial services. I saw a nice list of questions to have in mind when looking for a copy editor.

Experience and References -- verify qualified
Cost and method used to pay them -- I wont use paypal as they screwed me over in the past.
Approach/philosophy - verify compatibility personally
Tools and methods - enxure technical compatibility

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Recommendations; experience; approach/outlook after you discuss your work and what you hope to achieve, what you prefer, etc.; that you click and think they 'get' you but also are smart/experienced enough to see what you don't get, as that is the point (sometimes a sample can be helpful for this, or an outline or synopsis to comment on/discuss).

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Experience and References -- verify qualified
Cost and method used to pay them -- I wont use paypal as they screwed me over in the past.
Approach/philosophy - verify compatibility personally
Tools and methods - enxure technical compatibility

Most importantly, don't hire someone using the title editor if they're barely literate.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Old Hack! I love you honey, but I specifically linked that in my opening post. :tongue

I knew that. Of course I knew that.

*kicks at the ground and slams the door*

RFEinc

Registered
Reaction score
I'll preface this by saying I've been a freelance editor for 12 years. Here's what I think is important to ask ahead of any collaboration:

1. Get a feel for style. When we're talking about DevEdits, you need to be on the same page in terms of the language used to critique your work. The best way to get a good feel is NOT to ask for a sample edit of a few pages, since DevEdits are cumulative and often require knowledge of the global scope of your MS. Instead, ask to see a sample editorial letter. If the editor claims they can't share that kind of work with you due to "author confidentiality," run in the opposite direction. A slightly redacted/altered document to protect the author's work is perfectly do-able, and in fact, the editorial letter itself is the copyright of the editor.

2. Price. If you've got a specific budget, say so! What are you getting, and for how much? Does the price include some kind of debrief after the critique is delivered? What about review of revisions -- is that included?

3. How often does this person work in your genre? Are they familiar with the current market/titles you might want to comp in a query letter? This is SO important. Someone editing YA fantasy who names DIVERGENT as their current favorite title is woefully out of touch, and won't be able to help you ensure your manuscript is hitting the right tropes, exhibiting the market-dominant level of style/sophistication, etc.

4. Chops. Chops matter. What are this person's qualifications? Hint: Being a published author is NOT a qualification for providing developmental notes. I like to see a career-long or educational focus on the art of critique. I don't want to turn this post into a rant, but suffice it to say I get very frustrated when I see authors tout their critique services after publishing one book and having zero additional qualifications. I've never heard of these kinds of critiques providing valuable insight, either.

5. Communication style. If you don't like the tone of emails exchanged, chances are you're not going to like the tone of the critique, either. DevEditing is very personal, so don't be afraid to go with your gut and just say "Meh, this doesn't feel right."

Good luck!! DevEditor/Author relationships can be so productive. Find someone who makes you feel creatively safe, encouraged, empowered, and inspired.

halion

Registered
Reaction score
What is an editor's job? To look for grammar mistakes only?

RFEinc

Registered
Reaction score
What is an editor's job? To look for grammar mistakes only?

Depends on the editor! I know I saw a sticky post somewhere about "types of editing" -- have a look there for more details.

Developmental editors work on story elements and construction (character development, plot, continuity, pacing, conflict, tension, etc), as well as style and other big-picture stuff. As a draft becomes more refined, it requires additional types of editing: content, line, proof.

halion

Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm. I wonder how that works. Doesn't the editor become a de facto co-author if their involvement is so robust. Interesting that this seems to be a thing. Then again I remember hearing that the original starwars concept was a collaborative effort.

I might completely be showing my noobness. Perhaps all agents and publishing houses require a 'spring cleaning' of one's manuscript before publishing.

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
Hmmm. I wonder how that works. Doesn't the editor become a de facto co-author if their involvement is so robust. Interesting that this seems to be a thing. Then again I remember hearing that the original starwars concept was a collaborative effort.

I might completely be showing my noobness. Perhaps all agents and publishing houses require a 'spring cleaning' of one's manuscript before publishing.

No, developmental editors are not co-writers. Their job is to point out weak spots in a story or places where it can be improved; it's up to the author to decide how to take that editorial advice and implement it--do what rewriting or polishing is necessary to make a better, stronger book. Working with a good editor is an amazing experience. And yes, being edited is standard procedure when being published.

The Otter

Friendly Neighborhood Mustelid
Registered
Reaction score
In the room next to the noisy ice machine, for all
Some agents offer editorial input and some don't. But for publishing houses, yes, it's standard for the work to be edited before publication. Often it goes through multiple passes, with one editor offering more big picture suggestions about plot and characterization, then another doing copy editing. In all cases the changes generally aren't set in stone. They're recommendations; it's up to the author to accept or reject them.