• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Comparative or superlative?

Toto Too

Registered
Reaction score
Must we follow the hard-and-fast rules, or is there wiggle room based on which sounds better to the ear? I have a scene where there are two animals, and I have the following sentence:

The nearest animal turned its head.

To me, that sounds better than the "correct":

The nearer animal turned its head.

Replacing nearer with closer doesn't help. Neither does rearranging the words:

The animal nearer to her turned its head.

It is okay to use the superlative here? Or should I just change the situation so there are three animals? :tongue

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
If I saw "nearer" or "closer" in a situation involving two animals (or two anythings), I'd wonder if the editor had gone walkabout. It doesn't sound better to my ear. If you want to keep it to two, you could always say "the one on the left" and "the one on the right."

fenyo

Registered
Reaction score
you only need to say the nearer or closer if there is more them one other animal, but if there are only two animals then you don't need to say that.
if there are three animals in the situation then you we need to say which animal.

Bacchus

Registered
Reaction score
Adding "of the two" seems to make it work better - the nearer of the two - but I get what you're saying; weirdly if you use size comparisons the comparative seem to work ok - the larger, the smaller etc.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Does it matter which one turned? Can you just say "one of"?

I avoid unnecessary detail if possible, but appreciate it may be necessary to know. Alternatively, I'd give it an identifier (the spotted one, for example) which sneaks in a bit of description while also distinguishing from the rest.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Or should I just change the situation so there are three animals? :tongue

If that makes it easier, but as Harlequin suggested, why not just say one of the animals turned? Or distinguish them in some other way: the short one, the fat one, the gray one, the leggy one. Or if it's crucial that the reader know it was the one closest to the character, then just say "The near animal turned to look at her." That's a legitimate way to write it.

Last edited:

Toto Too

Registered
Reaction score
These are all great ideas, thanks! I think I'll go with making some kind of distinctive feature on one of them. The scene actually goes on for a while, so there's actually a lot of sentences like the ones in my first post (the nearer one noticed her ... she approached the near one ... the other one walked over ... she petted the near one, etc etc). So identifying them will definitely help. I actually figured out a similar solution a few month ago for a different scene, and forgot :Shrug:

So this is solved (thank you!) but I'm still curious, is it ever passable to use the comparative like this, or is it a strict no-no?

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Aim for what sounds smooth, rather than worrying over what's technically correct.

Technically all of these examples are grammatically correct...

• I saw a saw saw a saw.
  • That that exists exists in that that that that exists exists in.
  • Before was was is, is was was.
  • Who polices the police? Police police police police. Who polices the police police? Police police police police police police
  • James while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher. (James, [while John had written “had,”] had written “had had”; “had had” had left a better effect on the teacher.)
  • Time times time times time squared equals time times time times time times time.
  • That that is is that that is not is not is that it it is.

...but they sound awful.

I try and go with what sounds smooth and uncluttered, and avoid "sticky words" when possible. Sometimes I go too far; case in point, see the words highlighted in red at the start of my sentence. "Try and" is wrong, it should be "try to", but I hate the alliteration so frequently write "try and" which elides more neatly. FIGHT ME, GRAMMAR GUARDIANS. (Just kidding, I'd normally edit out "try and/try to" entirely and write something else.)

This is all a very wordy way of saying, you could make a comparative work, and have it be correct, but it will sound awkward to constantly say "the nearer/nearest" one without any other descriptor.

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
As a reader, I would give no pause to either of those examples. But I also agree with Harlequin in the matter of simplifying, avoiding unnecessary detail in a trivial description. What reader will really care if the animal you mention is the "nearer/nearest", or even if the POV narrator really takes note of that at the moment? Or if it even matters?

caw