• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

How long do you wait before editing?

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
I just finished the first draft of my first ever short story :)partyguy:) around 6,000 words. I know it helps some people make a gap between writing the story and editing. I just wondering how long do you wait.

Thanks!

EDIT: Also how long do you wait until you start a new story?

Last edited:

insolentlad

Registered
Reaction score
Website
insolentlad.com
Answering the second question first, I go immediately to the next project before going back to edit. That takes my mind off it for at least a few days and I come back to it a little fresher. On the other hand, I am one of those people who constantly edits and rewrites as I go, so I don't really have a 'first draft' and only do relatively minor editing (usually) when I return.

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't wait until I'm finished. I re-read and edit as I go as it helps to keep the story on track.

I do find that "fresh eyes" is a useful thing so I will sometimes give myself a break from doing any writing/editing of a project so I can go back to it with fresh eyes and spot issues that I couldn't see before due to being too mentally involved with it. But I don't have any set rules about it. If I find I'm getting to a point where it's hard to move on with either editing or story or it feels like I'm tying my brain in knots, then it's time to have a little break and go back to it with fresh eyes. I tend to work on other projects while I'm having a break.

The only waiting I make myself do regarding starting on new projects is not to start too many before I finish at least one of the current ones. I'm in danger of starting lots of projects and never finishing any, so having more than about 3 on the go at any one time is a bad idea. The reward for properly finishing a project is starting a new one.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
I go immediately to the next project before going back to edit.

I get bored easily, so I was hoping to start on my next project quickly.

I do find that "fresh eyes" is a useful thing so I will sometimes give myself a break from doing any writing/editing of a project so I can go back to it with fresh eyes and spot issues that I couldn't see before due to being too mentally involved with it.

Yes, I find the "fresh eyes" as a useful thing, too.

Thanks, you two for the input.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
A short story I give a day, maybe two - just to clear my head.

With novels I turn right around after writing 'The End' and start back at the beginning. Grammar is usually kinda-sorta clean because like others who've already posted on this thread, I edit as I go. I make a ton of notes on the first edit, checking people's names and descriptions (invariably, even though I plot the story out in advance, new characters creep in), and also making sure the timeline flows naturally, and funny quirks I had to deal with are taken care of.

A quirk by example in my WIP: It's a scifi story with people surviving on five space vessels. Each ship has a name (Honor, Loyalty, Restraint, Valor, and Virtue), and each also has a function (Governing, Internal Security, Justice, Military, Civilian quarters), AND they are all controlled by different self-aware AI's (Irene, Henry, Ruth, Jack, Sarah). So - coordinating these factors so the reader knows what's going on is a challenge, and I'll be looking at ways to simplify it during the first editing pass.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I usually make myself wait two weeks on a short story. By that time, I'm enmeshed in the next thing and the fresh eyes factor is in play.

Maryn, whose eyes are otherwise old

bleacher1099

Dystopian, it's what's for dinner.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
yupireadthat.com
I let my work 'sit and stew' for a bit before going back to it. If I start editing right away, my brain is still so filled with the vision in my head, I may miss the fact that it's not what's on the page. My current WIP sat for over a year before I went back to it. I'm editing it now and realizing there were parts I must have been really depressed while writing. lol

call-of-the-mind

Registered
Reaction score
I tend to write my work, go to the next project and work on it for awhile. After I've let the first sit, I return to read over and edit before moving it forward as I find it helps me eliminate inconsistencies.

Scythian

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished the first draft of my first ever short story :)partyguy:) around 6,000 words. I know it helps some people make a gap between writing the story and editing. I just wondering how long do you wait.

Thanks!

If it's a short story, and you're at the start of your journey, this means two things:

1) in itself the short story doesn't need more than a few days off. What will help is converting the document to pdf, epub, mobi, and reading it from different screens. Or at least play around with the fonts in the doc, like if you're using times new roman, or courier, or georgia, shift to the other two and read it that way. All this will really help fool the brain into reading it with fresh eyes.

2) if we imagine writing (or playing the guitar or what have you) as a steep hill (learning curve), with a plateu at the end--the closer you are to the plateu, the less abrupt the changes in skill levels will be, but the closer you are to the start--the more impressive the jumps in skill levels and understanding. In this sense, stories which you write now, will look adorable and in need of heavy rewrites when you're closer to the plateu, while stories written later will in hindsight need a few sentences fiddled with at most.

Right now, at the start of the journey, your skills, knowledge, approach, and style, will change a lot and fast. So if you wait too long to edit your early stuff, you can get caught in a 'growth edit loop', especially with longer works--by the time you're editing it for real--you've changed so much you need to change the whole text, and by the time you've done that, you've changed again so you need to change the text again, and so on.

Furthermore, some writers at the start of their writing journey are also at the start of their life journey--i.e. are still school kids or young adults. And life is its own curve with its own slowing down and plateau after the brain stops growing around the mid-twenties. So whatever happens between say puberty and the mid-twenties is colored by this 'speeded up learning time of life'. Later, while learning and adapting may slow down, experience nevertheless continues accumulating--in realms such as social interaction, work, longterm relationships. Stuff written after decades of life experience, may be quite different from the stuff written before the decades of life experience, even if the basic writing skills have remained the same on the level of structure and prose. And, obviously, stuff written at an age when a year feels like a decade, can have a vastly different vibe from stuff written when a decade feels like a year.

While the person at 50 or 60 is not infrequantly basically the same one as at 30, only hopefully more experienced and wiser and better at life-management and at achieving goals, the time before that can be a whirlwind of constant change and growth and...chaos...before some form of stabilization appears. So if one is for example at the larva stage of both writing and human growth, then doing what needs to be done and moving on, as opposed to lingering, starts sounding even more appropriate.

So back to the original question--better to be done reasonably fast, IMO, so that certain works simply remain momuments to certain periods in your growth as a writer, and not get bogged down in constantly trying to upgrade and update one thing over and over, to reflect your changing abilities and tastes. And possibly age. Keep this in mind when embarking on longer projects any time soon. (Unless one goes the Rothfuss way who I think started his fantasy saga still with milk formula around his mouth and kept fiddling with it until finally finishing it as a grown man)

Thus I recommend two ways of doing this: either wait only for a few days and then look at the story through different format goggles and fix it and that's that, or put it away until New Year and keep writing, and once January 2019 is here--start editing all the stuff you've written until then. Because it's very likely that, being at the very start of the writing learning curve, by early 2019 you'll have developed quite a lot and be more capable than now to do editing justice to your current drafts. To the extent of the difference between 'almost presentable' and 'fairly publishable'.

I myself would do both:) Fix it now, and then fix it again come 2019, and in between--write another pile of stuff--with a view for it to also be 'upgraded' in 2019.
Thus entering the new year at a run.

Last edited:

KBooks

Registered
Reaction score
I edit as I go. It bothers me too much to have something I'm unhappy with stewing, and I get itchy to correct it.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
Depends - how long is a piece of string?

editor17

Banned
Reaction score
what do you mean by editing

Thanks!

What do you mean by edit?
There are 5 levels of editing (yes some sources say 3 others 9, but it is more than one)

I do a development edit before I start.

I do not do proofreading and other low level edits until the mss is finished.

A few days should be enough wait before you revise and edit.

Last edited:

rosegold

Registered
Reaction score
I usually edit as I go, but I'm a perfectionist, and sometimes I have to tear myself away to move forward. It's so difficult for me to do so, but I think I edit best when I abandon a project for a month or two and reread with somewhat fresh eyes.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
What do you mean by edit?
There are 5 levels of editing (yes some sources say 3 others 9, but it is more than one)

I do a development edit before I start.

I do not do proofreading and other low level edits until the mss is finished.

A few days should be enough wait before you revise and edit.

My bold.

How can you edit work you haven't written yet?

OldHat63

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Lost in the woods of TN and prefer it that way
My bold.

I do it by going over the story in my mind, and thinking about what I do or don't like about it. Since 90 to 95 percent of what I write down has already been gone over untold numbers of times, each chapter pretty much gets a mental review/edit before it's ever committed to paper.
After it's written, I'll usually go back over it to look for typos and such, and see how it "plays". If it's okay at least at first glance, I'll leave it, and continue on, with the intentions of going over the whole thing when I reach a point I'm comfortable with calling an ending.
Keep in mind that what I'm currently writing has existed in my mind for a very long time now... So for me, it's just a matter of choosing the right words to describe things, and choosing the right path I want the story to take, out of all the ones I've already worked out and reviewed.

O.H.

Last edited:

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score

I'm rather curious about that, as well.

The developmental (or structural) edit is the most complex and involved edit of a manuscript. It covers matters unknown until the author has written "The End." The developmental edit covers, but is not limited to:

Characterization—Are the characters' voices clear and distinct one from another? Are the characters' relationships with each other well-developed and believable? Are the characters authentic and three-dimensional? Are the characters' motivations and goals clear?

Plot and Pacing—How well does the plot hang together? Do events unfold organically and naturally? Are there parts of the narrative that drag? Are the scenes in the right order to drive the story forward and create tension?

Time and Setting—Is there a clear sense of place? How well has the author handled the passage of time?

Voice and POV—Is the voice appropriate for the genre? Is the voice and tone consistent throughout the narrative? Is the POV the right one for this story?

There is so much more—a whole course worth, in fact—but you get the picture: these are elements that cannot be known until the manuscript is complete.

We writers proofread and revise (with varying degrees of success); we don't edit our own manuscripts. We're too close to the manuscript to really see the types of things shown above.

ETA: To answer the OP's question—the amount of cool-down time I allow before revisiting the manuscript and attempting revision usually depends on how tight my deadline is. It can be anywhere from three days to a couple of weeks. I do correct typos and such as I type, though.

Last edited:

RoyalFool

"CAKE" is the password
Registered
Reaction score
Website
typing4authors.weebly.com
Depends - how long is a piece of string?

Twice the distance from the centre to either end. ;)

But seriously, there's a lot in Jason's few words.

Everyone is different, and you do have to find what works best for you.

Apparently, Stephen King will put the first draft aside for six months before going back to it.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
and Koontz edits as he goes, meticulously. supposedly, at least, because I don't hang out with Dean-o, by the time he's done with a page, he's literally done with that page. Period. You could be writing them on a typewriter and mailing them to the editor as they fall to the floor, basically, he doesn't go back.

Is that true? No idea, but I've heard variations of it several times

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
As is so often the case, the only possible answer to the original question is, "I do what works for me."

Nina Kaytel

I spell Gray with an 'E''
Registered
Reaction score
Here is what I do:

All projects I edit as I go with first drafts getting basic edits, grammar, publication, active voice, dialogue tags, and the occasional meandering that characters tend to do. However, I have come to understand the project I submit rarely resembles the first draft. First drafts also get the outline either I started with it or filled it out as I went. My outline looks simple (and pretty)

I
II III
II
IV V
III
VI VII
It is a three act outline. Either chapter, which can be broken into three acts, overall story, or I have no clue. But every story I do has that outline! Even when I plan I use the outline (it is my Tommy Pickles screwdriver)

For short project (10,000 words or less) I let sit for a week, just so I don't overwork it. Since I write themes for magazines I am on deadlines and generally start 40-30 days before deadline. If I go out longer I have a nasty habit of over thinking the story, which ends in form rejections.
Those stories have a six edit minimum (three printed, three electronic) Some stories require more edits than others, but they all have to have an additional edit before I submit to compensate for my disability which affects motor skills so there are wonky mistakes. For the first edit, I wait a week before touching it again. Last edit is the same I wait a week then I edit print, wait a day edit electronic, use the read aloud feature in Word then submit. On the day I submit, I never edit (I'll panic and not go forward (like tests in college though I never studied for those, bad example))
When/If a story is rejected I'll sit on it for a month after rejection and start the process again.

10,000 words and above have the same editing system however, I wait a month before first edit and a month before last edit.
If/When rejected I wait three months after rejection.

Novel length is a tad different. I wait a year after first draft before I touch it. I edit as I go as well with major overhauls halfway through and before the last chapter, I also take notes, write character details down so by the time I am finished it resembled a second draft. I don't do the print edit as much ( I am poor and that can be costly in paper and ink.) I let it sit a year after completion and a month between major edits, some of my novels have to be fact checked so I flag those and do it in an edit on its own.
I didn't used to be as patient (and it is still super hard.)

I know I either need a break or it is ready to go when my edits are a battle between changing ed to ing words. A good indicator of being to close is either not finding changes or wanting to change everything.
I hope that helps.

P.S. I save all my printed edits and one story had 26 edits! I spent two years on a story 4,000k words long.
Also, also won a contest with a 500 word story I worked on for three days. Point is, find your own rhythm.