Picture Book Submissions

The Argenianpoet

Registered
Reaction score
I have written a 1,059-word picture book, and, now, I'm trying to figure out the next steps for publication. I searched the threads in this forum before I posted this, but I couldn't find any that provided information about the process. I'm assuming the process is similar to adult fiction: write a query letter to specific agencies who represent the genre you write. Can someone confirm if this is the case and provide any other advice that may be different about this process? Thank you in advance!

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Hi --

A pb is queried with a short query on top and the entire text below. If you're an author/illustrator, follow guidelines for including illustrations, but if not, just the query and text.

The Argenianpoet

Registered
Reaction score
Hi --

A pb is queried with a short query on top and the entire text below. If you're an author/illustrator, follow guidelines for including illustrations, but if not, just the query and text.

Hello, Cornflake.

When you say "...and entire text below," do you mean the story? As I understand the query process with adult fiction, the query is a one-page business letter that's purpose is to interest the agent into requesting either the partial or full manuscript. Thank you for your help!

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
It's also a good idea to have more than one PB written and polished and ready to submit--agents will often ask what else you have (even if they aren't interested in your initial submission), and you don't want to miss that opportunity. Having two others ready to go is what I've seen recommended.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, Cornflake.

When you say "...and entire text below," do you mean the story? As I understand the query process with adult fiction, the query is a one-page business letter that's purpose is to interest the agent into requesting either the partial or full manuscript. Thank you for your help!

Yes, the entire text of the proposed book goes at the bottom of the query. There's no point in requesting a partial or full of a 700-word ms. when it's easy enough to paste on.

gem1122

We can pickle that
Registered
Reaction score
I’ll add that you should avoid the temptation to insert your thoughts about illustrations or to create a book “dummy”. On rare occasions, agencies may ask for these, but the great majority do not. As for the query, focus on your platform/area of expertise related to your subject matter.

Last edited:

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
My advice would be to check submission guidelines first for each agent or publisher. Most want the entire manuscript included, but some specifically do not.

Also, keep your query quite short. I wouldn't write a query that's longer than the book I'm querying.

Good luck!

Sissy

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Summing up: Have three manuscripts ready to go, but query only the best one. If the other two aren't the best, use the waiting time to get them there because you may be asked. In general, include the text of the PB below the query within the e-mail. Check guidelines and follow them exactly.

In nonfiction, platform is key. In fiction, story is key. Research picture book queries online and you'll find further info.