Graveside service in early 60s

Nuwanda

Registered
Reaction score
Website
abigailftaylor.wordpress.com
It's just a little thing...

I'm going through edits and I have a funeral scene where I briefly discribe a blue tent by the grave. I realized this is probably a more recent thing to do or is it?

The funeral is happening in a rural community in the early 60s. Any insight on my tent issue or other things I might not think of are greatly appreciated!

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

My grandmother was buried on a June day in 1973 in a military cemetery in the plot with her longtime dead husband in San Diego. There was no tent. But then, there's rarely ever rain in San Diego in mid-June, even in those days when it got an annual 12 inches.

Make of that what you will.

But I doubt if there were a tent, I doubt it would have been blue. Tarps are more common in that color now than they were then. Khaki green would be more likely.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I'm old enough to recall some services from that date, and I don't think they differ in any major way from those today. Plus, I suspect they were somewhat variable from place to place. Write your scene and don't overworry about it. Just don't have anybody getting interrupted with a cell phone call during the service.

caw

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
I'm old enough to recall some services from that date, and I don't think they differ in any major way from those today. Plus, I suspect they were somewhat variable from place to place. Write your scene and don't overworry about it. Just don't have anybody getting interrupted with a cell phone call during the service.

caw

I agree about watching out for anachronisms such as cell phones.

Tradition is strong in the funeral services industry because people find that comforting and not much has changed within any given region, so whatever you see today would probably be okay.

Just as a reference point: In the 60s where I grew up—which was definitely rural—dark green or emerald green graveside canopies were the most common, as they are today. Sometimes, you might have seen a deep crimson or dark blue canopy back then, but green predominated.