Is anyone else really disappointed in YA Fantasy lately?

caroline.q

Registered
Reaction score
I've been trying to read within the genre of my WIP this year and I've gotta say, I've just been really disappointed by everything I've read. THE CRUEL PRINCE by Holly Black, a long time favorite, was one of the biggest let downs for me. It just seems like a lot of what's out there is plagued by lazy writing, cardboard characters, purple prose, boring plots...it's bumming me out! What books have y'all been disappointed by this year? Any instant classics/favorites? Maybe I'm just reading the wrong things!

Princess Of Needles

wants to poke all the shiny things
Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to give recommendations for better books, but I don't know what your thoughts are on any books other than The Cruel Prince. Is there anything in particular you're looking for? YA Fantasy is a pretty broad genre.

I've recently read Forest of a Thousand Lanterns and Labyrinth Lost and enjoyed them both.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Could be a sign you need to move away from your comfort zone for a while, and come back later with refreshed eyes.

And I agree that some more parameters might help with recommendations; what else have you tried and been disappointed in? Where have you struck gold in the past? What's your diamond standard for YA fantasy? Are you open to "grown-up" fantasy titles (there's a fair bit of bleedover on the edges), or other genres - sci-fi, horror, contemporary, etc.? Are there absolute no-no topics or authors?

caroline.q

Registered
Reaction score
Forest of a Thousand Lanterns is on my to read!
I love fantasy that has mythology or folklore elements, especially if it’s contemporary. Recent disappointments for me have been The Hazel Wood (though I liked the first half and the premise), Sarah J Maas ACOTAR series, An Enchantment of Ravens, and The Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue (not fantasy). With all of these I loved the premise, but was ultimately really disappointed.
I enjoyed The Price Guide to the Occult and Caraval recently but they were not outstanding in my opinion.
Neil Gaiman is probably my favorite fantasy author in general.

s_nov

Registered
Reaction score
Hmmmm have you read anything by Leigh Bardugo yet? I loved the Grisha trilogy but I was absolutely blown away by the Six of Crows Duology. And I just finished the fairytale companion, The Language of Thorns, and I found that to be quite beautiful as well. An older one would be Fire by Kristin Cashore. That's a companion to Graceling, but I thought Fire was the best of that set. I haven't read anything by Naomi Novik but I have Uprooted on my shelf waiting to be read, which I've heard amazings about, as well as Spinning Silver. And it's not YA and I honestly wouldn't even call it fantasy (more speculative) but I'm halfway through Deathless by Cathrynne Valente and I don't understand how people can write things so masterfully.

And, as always, my girl Maggie Stiefvater. The Raven Cycle is one of my favorite series of all time, and The Scorpio Races is brilliant. All the Crooked Saints just came out this year, and that one's pretty good, too.

There's nothing groundbreaking in this list, but maybe something you'll like!

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Could be a sign you need to move away from your comfort zone for a while, and come back later with refreshed eyes.

This. See it as an opportunity to explore. My tastes go in waves, and sometimes I outgrow a genre or a favorite author, at least for a while.

You could also view it as an opportunity to make your book stand out. Take an example of some else's writing you think is subpar, and ask yourself what would fix the issue? How would you write the scene or character? Then go do it. The more tools you have the better writer you will likely be.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I've been trying to read within the genre of my WIP this year and I've gotta say, I've just been really disappointed by everything I've read. THE CRUEL PRINCE by Holly Black, a long time favorite, was one of the biggest let downs for me. It just seems like a lot of what's out there is plagued by lazy writing, cardboard characters, purple prose, boring plots...it's bumming me out! What books have y'all been disappointed by this year? Any instant classics/favorites? Maybe I'm just reading the wrong things!

More than any trade published book I've picked up (overwhelming blech) I've enjoyed the manuscripts I have beta read. Some will probably not be picked up because they lack some ingredient or other.

Try indie books. I bet there are some good titles there but I haven't dived in to look yet (too busy).

caroline.q

Registered
Reaction score
Hmmmm have you read anything by Leigh Bardugo yet? I loved the Grisha trilogy but I was absolutely blown away by the Six of Crows Duology. And I just finished the fairytale companion, The Language of Thorns, and I found that to be quite beautiful as well. An older one would be Fire by Kristin Cashore. That's a companion to Graceling, but I thought Fire was the best of that set. I haven't read anything by Naomi Novik but I have Uprooted on my shelf waiting to be read, which I've heard amazings about, as well as Spinning Silver. And it's not YA and I honestly wouldn't even call it fantasy (more speculative) but I'm halfway through Deathless by Cathrynne Valente and I don't understand how people can write things so masterfully.

And, as always, my girl Maggie Stiefvater. The Raven Cycle is one of my favorite series of all time, and The Scorpio Races is brilliant. All the Crooked Saints just came out this year, and that one's pretty good, too.

There's nothing groundbreaking in this list, but maybe something you'll like!

Thank you for all the suggestions! I started reading The Raven Boys years ago and for whatever reason I didn’t finish it, but I was in school so I’ll have to pick it up again. I’ve heard so many amazing things about her. I can’t say I was a big fan of The Grisha Trilogy, but I enjoyed her writing so maybe Six of Crows will be more up my alley.

I do think I probably need to break away from my genre comfort zone. I have been wanting to read more historical fiction so maybe I’ll give that a shot as well.

Girlsgottawrite

I write at work...
Registered
Reaction score
I can’t say I was a big fan of The Grisha Trilogy, but I enjoyed her writing so maybe Six of Crows will be more up my alley.

Read Six of Crows. It's on a completely different level than the Grisha series.

Also, have you read Children of Blood and Bone? I really enjoyed it.

If you're looking for something completely different, with a historical slant, try Cuckoo's Song by Frances Hardinge.

Last edited:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I have many thoughts on the state of YA fantasy, some of which are positive and laudatory, others that are snarky and ungenerous. But I have long since accepted i'm never gonna find that magic YA novel written just the way I want it (unless I write it, which may or may not happen).

But the further I go outside my comfort zone, the happier I am. Authors like Jesse Andrews and AS King amaze me with the kinds of YA they write.

caroline.q

Registered
Reaction score
I have many thoughts on the state of YA fantasy, some of which are positive and laudatory, others that are snarky and ungenerous. But I have long since accepted i'm never gonna find that magic YA novel written just the way I want it (unless I write it, which may or may not happen)..

Yeah, I think I’m always searching for the book I would write which isn’t going to happen unless I write it.

I have Children of Blood and Bone sitting on my shelf as well. I’ll be totally confused if I don’t like that one ��

fergusj

Registered
Reaction score
With respect to more recent releases that haven't been mentioned by others yet, I strongly recommend The Belles. I also enjoyed Legendary (and I was underwhelmed by Caraval) and the Daughter of the Pirate King/Siren Queen.

bleacher1099

Dystopian, it's what's for dinner.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
yupireadthat.com
My all time fav fantasy is Graceling by Kristin Cashore, then Fire and Bitterblue. Then there's the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas. Unbelievable! I agree with you somewhat that authors are trying too hard to follow in the same vein as the 'best-seller' books and it seems there's no uniqueness anymore. But once in a while, you get a golden nugget like those mentioned above and it restores your love of the genre!

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
Nope. Perfectly happy with YA fantasy. Just finished two books I really loved and Googling the authors so I can read more from them.

KBooks

Registered
Reaction score
Same. I'm quite pleased with the bulk of YA fantasy. As with any genre, I come across stray books now and again that aren't my fancy so I just set them aside and go on to the next one. Some books people mentioned on this list as being their faves, I didn't particularly care for, and some others didn't care for, I adored. I think you just have to read widely and not force yourself to slog through when a book isn't doing it for you. There's too much great stuff out there getting written at the moment.

caroline.q

Registered
Reaction score
Same. I'm quite pleased with the bulk of YA fantasy. As with any genre, I come across stray books now and again that aren't my fancy so I just set them aside and go on to the next one. Some books people mentioned on this list as being their faves, I didn't particularly care for, and some others didn't care for, I adored. I think you just have to read widely and not force yourself to slog through when a book isn't doing it for you. There's too much great stuff out there getting written at the moment.

Maybe I'm just being pessimistic because I haven't had great luck lately with what I've been reading. There have been some great suggestions on here though so thanks to all of you!

mwatchornbooks

Registered
Reaction score
Have you read The Young Elites by Marie Lu? It's SUPER dark, but it's one of my all time favorite YA fantasy series. That, and the Passenger series by Alexandra Bracken.

eileenmcilwain

almost published
Registered
Reaction score
I really enjoyed The Winner's Trilogy by Marie Rutkoski. Yes there is a strong romantic element, but the political elements and world building are top notch. Rutkoski has created a rich cultural landscape, and the supporting characters are different to your typical string of sidekicks who don't think for themselves and follow the MCs like lost puppies. Every character is written in shades of grey, which makes them more interesting than the standard black-or-white characters.

ReadWriteRachel

Probably drinking coffee.
Registered
Reaction score
Just want to say: if you're not into purple prose, don't go for Maggie Stiefvater. I am obsessed with The Scorpio Races and the first two books in the Raven Cycle series, but beyond that her novels descends into tons of purple prose and some pretentiousness. At least, that's what I think. I was extremely disappointed in both Blue Lily, Lily Blue and The Raven King. I don't really think I want to go near her standalone, ​All the Crooked Saints, either.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I am obsessed with The Scorpio Races ...

I was a little meh on the ending, but overall what an amazing book! Such good characters, such a weird but well-executed premise. And I like how sneaky she is with the perspective, so worth a second read to catch all the inconsistencies between the dueling POVs and try to figure out what's *really* going on on that island. And the horse race had me jumping up and down cheering.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
The only YA book I’ve read lately is “Children of Blood and Bone,” which I didn’t like. I chalk it up to bad luck, not the industry.

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score
My main disappointment with current YA fantasy is that every single book seems to be about the mc saving the world/being a key part in saving the world/winning the big-epic-war thing. I often like the first book in a series, where things are more low key, but by the end (when the big epic finale is happening) it feels like I've already read the same thing a hundred times.

I did enjoy Kristin Cashore's books Graceling, Fire, and Bitterblue - but it was years ago I read them. I also remember a few years back I liked The Girl of Fire and Thorns series by Rae Carson. It's more MG, than YA, and not exactly new, but I love The Princess Academy books by Shannon Hale. Also more MG (and a portal fantasy) is The Riverman trilogy by Aaron Starmer. I read it last year and was blown away, which doesn't happen very often. I also enjoyed the Chaos Walking trilogy by Patrick Ness, but liked the first book so much more than the next two, because of the reasons I mentioned above. That trilogy may be considered sci-fi, not fantasy?

If anyone happens to have recs of current YA fantasy that doesn't involve an epic war or saving the world, I would love to know about them. I often think back to things like The Harper Hall Trilogy by Anne McCaffrey. There's not a single war or epic battle or threat of the world ending. The main character has an interesting story to follow because she's talented, but she's not a 'chosen one' or anything like that. She's good at music. And there's dragons. The end.