• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

The Oxford Comma

acockey

Bronies, Bronies Everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Where do you fall on the oxford comma debate. I for one have always used the oxford comma. Why do you use it in your writing, or why do you not use that "Comma Style"?

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I always use it. It's so deeply ingrained that its absence seems like a glaring mistake to me, even though I acknowledge it's a valid choice some publications make.

Maryn, old school

gem1122

We can pickle that
Registered
Reaction score
I agree. I don't see any good reason not to use it.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I was originally taught not to use it but have drifted towards using it as the results tend to be less ambiguous.

spork

Registered
Reaction score
I was originally taught not to use it but have drifted towards using it as the results tend to be less ambiguous.

That's funny because I was always taught to use it. I guess it depends on the teacher?

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Where do you fall on the oxford comma debate. I for one have always used the oxford comma. Why do you use it in your writing, or why do you not use that "Comma Style"?

I always use it. I can't think of a single reason not to, while the compelling reason to use it is clarity. Not to mention consistency.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
That's funny because I was always taught to use it. I guess it depends on the teacher?

It's gone in and out of style, so it might depend on a person's age. In my lifetime, I was taught was both ways, but I've rejected the "don't use it" teaching.

spork

Registered
Reaction score
It's gone in and out of style, so it might depend on a person's age. In my lifetime, I was taught was both ways, but I've rejected the "don't use it" teaching.

I've encountered a few professors who marked an Oxford comma as an error in my papers, but I just attributed that to personal preference. It makes sense that it would vary depending on the curriculum in schools at the time you took certain courses. I know in my old school system they don't even teach cursive anymore.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I was never taught anything about it. I use it if necessary for comprehension, because that's how I've always seen it used (and Wikipedia backs me up on that being standard practice in Oz.)

- - - Updated - - -

My writing tends to contain far few commas in general though.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I use the serial or "Oxford" comma in my own writing, but most of my years teaching English in high school and in colleges and lately as an editor, I've never insisted on one method over the other. It depends on the publisher.

I have, however, always strongly recommended consistency with commas. Using a serial comma here and leaving it out there in a continuous work of any length can confuse even careful readers.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can't think of a single example of when leaving out that last comma would improve a sentence.

We invited the strippers, Joseph Lenin and John F. Kennedy.

VS.

We invited the strippers, Joseph Lenin, and John F. Kennedy.

WHICH ONE IS FUNNIER? With or without the serial comma?

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Use commas to reinforce the meaning you want your reader to see.

Or write a better sentence.

spork

Registered
Reaction score
We invited the strippers, Joseph Lenin and John F. Kennedy.

VS.

We invited the strippers, Joseph Lenin, and John F. Kennedy.

WHICH ONE IS FUNNIER? With or without the serial comma?

Whenever I hear debates about the Oxford comma, I always think of sentences like that. Definitely funnier, though!

shadowsminder

writing in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowsinmind.carrd.co
Which one is true? A funny mistake is still a mistake.

(Anyway, of course I'd prefer to see strippers skilled enough to pull up Lenin and Kennedy.)

editor17

Banned
Reaction score

I use it as it is the only logical and correct way to say what is actually the case being described. Lawyers must use it or lose lawsuits as has happened when they didn't.
Engineers must use it or their specifications could be wrong.

Ketzel

Leaving on the 2:19
Registered
Reaction score
Which one is true? A funny mistake is still a mistake.

(Anyway, of course I'd prefer to see strippers skilled enough to pull up Lenin and Kennedy.)
Don't you mean "pull off?" :)

rgroberts

Registered
Reaction score
I use it. I can't imagine not using it. As others have said, leaving the Oxford comma out does not make for better reading comprehension.

insolentlad

Registered
Reaction score
Website
insolentlad.com
As some others, I was taught it was 'old-fashioned' long ago. Never used it in the years I was writing articles for magazines (mostly the 80s and 90s). Now I wouldn't think of leaving that comma out.

Now that is figured out, I need to come to some conclusion on the best way to form the possessive of words ending with an S. :)