Word Origin of Sinister

BurntPieCrust

Registered
Reaction score
I was given this fun fact as a 7-year-old left-hander from my second grade teacher... she was such an encouragement :D .

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Same here. Were you in my class? I counted myself lucky; kids in the nearby Catholic school got their left hand hit with a ruler until they decided to write with the other hand.

When I went to college, I tried to arrive at class early so I could sit on the right side of the classroom and turn to my left in the seat, using my lap to support my note-taking because the desk surface attached to each chair was right-handed, meaning my arm and a quarter of my spiral notebook was suspended in air.

On a visit there many years later, I saw that classrooms now have a couple of lefty desks. Progress!

Maryn, unrepentant lefty

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Same here. Were you in my class? I counted myself lucky; kids in the nearby Catholic school got their left hand hit with a ruler until they decided to write with the other hand.

When I went to college, I tried to arrive at class early so I could sit on the right side of the classroom and turn to my left in the seat, using my lap to support my note-taking because the desk surface attached to each chair was right-handed, meaning my arm and a quarter of my spiral notebook was suspended in air.

On a visit there many years later, I saw that classrooms now have a couple of lefty desks. Progress!

Maryn, unrepentant lefty

I was lucky enough to grow up in a time and place where being left-handed was NBD, but what drove me batty was how they made accomodations in the younger grades and then took away those accomodations as I got older. In high school, there were some left-handed desks floating around, and there was maybe a 50-50 chance of one being in a given classroom, but in college they were as rare as hen's teeth.

The worst, though, were the freakin' left-handed scissors. After first or second grade, they slowly vanished from my classrooms. It's quite painful to use right-handed scissors with the left hand for any length of time, so I ultimately ended up changing which hand I used to cut things. If I was going to have to switch to my right hand anyway, why did they bother accommodating me in the first place? It just made things more difficult later on.

Last edited: