Florence

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
For anybody out on the Mid-Atlantic coast, and even well inland from there, please heed all warnings and get you to safety. For anyone who might live on the Outer Banks near Cape Fear or Cape Hatteras, for heaven's sake get inland, now. Go north or south, a good ways. Look at the maps.

This thing is projected to have a 20-foot storm surge wash over the coastal areas. Storm surges of this kind are much like tsunamis, and will take out everything in their path.

And, inland, you folks near the eastern side of the Appalachians are in serious peril, too. There will be massive amounts of rain. I've seen estimates as high as 20 inches for some places. Those valleys will fill up with flash flooding that is as bad as the coastal storm surge.

caw

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Florence is a monster. Trying to weather that storm is pure suicide.

Just hoping people will not get the same "A+" treatment Trump's administration gave Puerto Rico after the storm.

-cb

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Keep you and your pets safe folks

CWatts

down the rabbit hole of research...
Registered
Reaction score
Seconding all the advice above.

Looks like she will miss central Virginia and I see where Richmond is taking in a lot of folks from Norfolk/Hampton/VA Beach. I am concerned about the track through the Appalachians since valley floods can be devastating, like the 150+ deaths in the Virginia mountains during Hurricane Camille in 1969.

I've been to the NC Crystal Coast on vacation for several summers now and my prayers are with the people. It's sad to think the beachfront rental we stayed at just 3 weeks ago could be underwater tomorrow but property is replaceable, people aren't.

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
If you're not in one of the areas that needs to evacuate now, remember that flooding, especially in those areas where it's already been raining, will be a serious problem.

Get food that will keep without electricity that you will be able to prepare.
Get food for your animals.
Get water.
Get your prescriptions and pet prescriptions.
Get a safe alternate light source.

Evacuate if you are in the danger zone. Don't wait. Traffic will be a problem later, and you'll have a harder time finding a place to evacuate to.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Just noting that the North Carolina post flood sludge that includes potash and pig fecal materials is headed to coastal South Carolina.

People in Horry county and the low country around the Waccamaw river and Pawley's Island and Georgetown are sand-bagging, and moving upstairs.

This is potentially the worst flooding this area has seen in forty or more years.