• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Dialogue/Beat/Dialogue/Beat

Redredrose

Registered
Reaction score
For the longest time, I have been under the impression that, in today's publishing world, it's considered a no-no to have dialogue, followed by a beat, followed by another piece of dialogue, followed by a final beat (or followed by a final piece of dialogue)--in the same paragraph by a single character.

I have, however, occasionally done it, as shown in my writing below.
-----
“You know.” The pastor smiled through pinched lips. “There’s a wonderful quote from Martin Luther. I think about it whenever I look at my wife. ‘Men have broad and large chests and narrow hips.’” Lozano’s chest swelled.

[Reaction from protagonist.]

Pastor Lozano continued. “‘And more understanding than women, who have but small and narrow breast, and broad hips, to the end they should remain at home, sit still, keep house, and bear and bring up children.’” Lozano touched his gold wedding band. “My wonderful wife has gifted me with a loving home and two beautiful children.”

-----
I would appreciate any comments and/or suggestions on, not how to edit this, but whether publishers accept this beat/dialogue presentation.

Thank you in advance.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I'm an amateur and don't know. I had always thought the beats are added where they are appropriate--if the pastor pinches his lips between his utterances, that is where you put the beat. The story is told in order.

I hadn't heard the guideline you identify, and I always like to know the 'rules' so I looked into a recent purchase (Fifth Season, hugely successful novel.)

After flipping through a few pages, I see a fair amount (maybe 15% of paragraphs that contain dialog) of dialog-beat-dialog but only one instance of beat-dialog-beat-dialog and no instances (in my short flip-survey) of dialog-beat-dialog-beat.

I see more paragraphs of dialog-beat than anything else, and the beats are fairly long. Sometimes the intervening paragraphs are mere thoughts or beats (very short, too) from the other character. In other words, I see:

dialog-beat
unspoken response
dialog-beat

...and now wonder if a dialog-beat-dialog-beat was broken in two to fit the guideline you are asking about.

Last edited:

Redredrose

Registered
Reaction score
I'm an amateur and don't know. I had always thought the beats are added where they are appropriate--if the pastor pinches his lips between his utterances, that is where you put the beat. The story is told in order.

I hadn't heard the guideline you identify, and I always like to know the 'rules' so I looked into a recent purchase (Fifth Season, hugely successful novel.)

After flipping through a few pages, I see a fair amount (maybe 15% of paragraphs that contain dialog) of dialog-beat-dialog but only one instance of beat-dialog-beat-dialog and no instances (in my short flip-survey) of dialog-beat-dialog-beat.

I see more paragraphs of dialog-beat than anything else, and the beats are fairly long.

Yes, I see mostly dialogue-beat-dialogue. But, what I want to know if it's acceptable to publishers. If it's not, I'll change the few instances where I've done it. However, I'd like to know before I submit my novels. This particular piece of my writing is a draft and I'm simply using it as an example.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
I would say that this only becomes problematic if it's a fixed, repeating pattern with no variance at all. There are certainly moments in any conversation where dialog-beat-dialog is just the natural rhythm of that exchange. But once you start relentlessly repeating that pattern, refusing to entertain any other type of dialog rhythm, now you're forcing your dialog to stick to unnatural patterns, and agents and editors will certainly "ding you" for that.

It's just like anything in writing. Here and there is fine. But if you insist on sticking to it and nothing else, you'll run into problems from readers that want more variety.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
I use that all the time. I also do dialogue / beat / dialogue / internal reflection.

I think don't stress about it to much :) it's easy to get caught up in the small things but no publisher worth anything would reject you for a few odd sentence structures here and there.

Redredrose

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, people, for your thoughtful and helpful responses. I use that structure quite rarely, but on another platform, I was warned not to do it. Which was frustrating because I like to do it, on rare occasions. Thanks again.

The structure of Absolutewrite is so very different from Critique Circle--where I gained a lot of knowledge. However, one of the differences is the possibility of back-and-forth conversation about a question, critique, or other issue. I like it.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and you might want to post or transfer to the Ask the Agent forum.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
I would appreciate any comments and/or suggestions on, not how to edit this, but whether publishers accept this beat/dialogue presentation.

I see nothing wrong with it. I've done that kind of thing myself. Plenty of authors do. The idea that publishers are going to complain about it is untrue, IMO.

Last edited:

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Why would it conceivably be unacceptable to publishers for a writer to do something that's pretty ubiquitous in published fiction? The question puzzles me. Where does this idea even come from?

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
It's puzzling for sure, and would seem to be something that would fall under the 'make sure you don't overdo it' category to me.

I flipped through Fifth Season again and finally found one instance of dialog-beat-dialog-beat (bottom of page 313), two more instances of beat-dialog-beat-dialog and more instances of dialog-beat or dialog-beat-dialog which Jemison seems to like a lot.

So in this case of this book, the construction under question is present, but infrequent.

Last edited:

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Perfectly normal construction.

It should be totally acceptable provided the whole thing flows, and the beats contribute to the flow and understanding of the dialogue as opposed to distracting by drawing attention unnecessarily to themselves.

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
I see nothing wrong with what you've posted, and I'm a fiction editor as well as a writer. Lozano's speeches and actions are bunched in one paragraph; you start a new paragraph for the other character's reaction, then another one when Lozano replies., just as you should.

You didn't ask for editorial comments apart from that issue, but sorry, it's in my DNA. Too many beats. Combine or cut.

Running for the hills.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
This is truly a "Trust your feelings, Luke" matter. There is no formula, no cookbook. Trying to be formulaic about it is a quick way to create an irritating repetitious document. The very best thing you can do is pay attention to how a variety of good published writers handle dialog and absorb that into your writer's bone marrow.

caw