Difference Between Query and Overview of a Book Proposal

rosepetal720

Let the wild rumpus start!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
teralynpilgrim.blogspot.com
Most agents I've looked at ask for a query and a book proposal, and everything I've read about book proposals say you need to include an overview.

What is the difference between the query and the overview? If I send a query, do I still need to include an overview in my proposal? I feel like I'll just be saying the same thing twice.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's been a while since I looked into non-fic proposals, but from my understanding a book proposal outlines the major topics covered, conclusions drawn, intended audience, etc. It can be a few to several pages long. When I was shopping a non-fic proposal around, many publishers wanted a sample chapter or two.

The query, however, is more like a cover letter in which you get the reader's attention enough to read the proposal. For non-fic this is in a different style than those for fiction.

I'm not sure how things might have changed in the 6 or so years since I've last (unsuccessfully) shopped an idea around. Hopefully some more experienced folks will be around shortly to chime in.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

You need both the query and the overview in the proposal. Both should have the housekeeping details (wordcount, genre, date of completion), unless the agency requests that those go in a separate book details section. The query for non-fiction is indeed more like a cover letter (don't bother going into Query Letter Hell with one), but should also have a bit of whatever your flair is. The overview needs to read more like a synopsis.

Hope this helps.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal