Frank and Jack.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
I volunteer at a cat shelter every Saturday and there is this one really sweet cat, Jack. He is super nice and I really want to adopt him. But, my mom says Frank, the 12 year old boy cat we already have, might fight Jack or worse... run away from us, because Frank is an inside / outside cat :cry:

I love Frank, but I also love Jack. My question is how do keep Frank from fighting with Jack... (If I ever get him :e2cry:)

:cry: Sorry about all the sad emojis... I just really want Jack. I couldn't stand it if he got adopted to a bad home. He's just so sweet.

P.S. I also have two other cats. Both are female. One is 15 and the other is 2. They get along as well as most human siblings do. Just a couple of sneak attacks here and there.

Last edited:

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's my experience that most cats will get along eventually. Just give them time.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
You already have 3 established cats? You are assuming that Frank would be the one to take offense. Maybe any one of your cats (everybody's been neutered for years, right?) might take offense. Or maybe the two females who are buddies, might gang up on the new cat.

If you were to bring Jack home, it might be that one of the other cats, not necessarily Frank, might feel crowded out, and leave. Cats are territorial, and while you never can tell who's going to get along with who, three cats in a house, that have been there a while, probably have the place divided nicely among themselves.

And, consider that you work in a cat shelter. What happens the next time you feel sympathy for a really sweet cat? Maybe it's time to consider limits?

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
And, consider that you work in a cat shelter. What happens the next time you feel sympathy for a really sweet cat? Maybe it's time to consider limits?

I understand this, but I've been volunteering at this cat shelter for almost two years. I've never felt attached to a cat like Jack. Not even the cat who comes when you call his name or the cat who willingly jumps on your lap. Sorry if I sound a little rude, I just... well, you know, want Jack...

You already have 3 established cats? You are assuming that Frank would be the one to take offense. Maybe any one of your cats (everybody's been neutered for years, right?) might take offense. Or maybe the two females who are buddies, might gang up on the new cat.

This made me think and I don't think the females would gang up on Jack. The older one, Polly, just lies in her basket most of the day and never fought with The younger one, Taffy, when she first came. It was either Taffy who started the "fights" (she probably thought she was just playing) or Frank. Frank usually starts the play fights with Taffy. But Frank has been know to come home form outside with a few scratches... I don't know if it is from other cats or from just wiggling into tight places.

And yes they have all been neutered for years.