• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Mini Epiphany: I Haven't Been Writing What I *Like*

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaliforniaMelanie

Registered
Reaction score
This may seem a bit silly, but people here are looking for help, and I've received amazing suggestions myself. So here's my own revelation, for what it's worth.

I realized this weekend, in a blinding flash of light (complete with a "duh" sign above my head), that the reason I've been putting off finishing my book is that I just haven't liked what I was writing.

Or, let me clarify: I like what I'm writing about. And I love my story.

But the way I was writing it was just...ugh.

The thing is, I love to read academic-supported historic fiction, if that's a thing...lots of accurate detail, almost dry. That's what I like to read.

So that's what I've been trying to write.

But...I don't want to write that style. I just want to read it! What I want to write is a bit more, I guess, fanciful...less "you couldn't possibly refute this"...more shocking, surprising, dramatic, and encompassing elements about everyday life that fascinate me.

Don't get me wrong: I still want my writing to seem intelligent. BUT I've been trying to force something that hasn't come naturally to me. It is, perhaps, just that simple. I want to love what I write. Period. I want to love writing it.

If that means I'll never be one of the "ZOMG, she's flawless with her facts" greats (and it probably does), so be it. I may never get published regardless, so I may as well LOVE what I'm writing!

I hope this helps someone, even if in some small way.

Last edited:

Scythian

Registered
Reaction score
Mmm, that's not such a "mini" epiphany at all, in my book.
It's stuff like this that helps shift from writing in "trying to tunnel through granite with a teaspoon mode", to writing with increasing ease and joy.

caroline.q

Registered
Reaction score
That's an amazing realization! I think we're all guilty sometimes of trying to emulate rather than write in our own style. I've always loved books with beautiful, literary prose, but that's just not my style! I like to think that if we truly love what we're writing, someone else will love it dearly too.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
I have recently had this realization, too. It feels great finally writing what I want to write.

Good luck with your newfound freedom!

I like to think that if we truly love what we're writing, someone else will love it dearly too.

I believe this, too.

Sagml John

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
Website
johnbeaverspen.wordpress.com
Don't get me wrong: I still want my writing to seem intelligent. BUT I've been trying to force something that hasn't come naturally to me. It is, perhaps, just that simple. I want to love what I write. Period. I want to love writing it.

Yes! I've concentrated on the accuracy as if I was going to be taken to court at times. Perhaps I think I'm impressing the reader... I want to write to entertain. I don't think people care to be impressed that much :)

CaliforniaMelanie

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone! It does feel good. And you know...some of our most universally beloved tales are decidedly INaccurate. But they're authentic in the way they "feel." Perhaps those writers were writing from the heart. I mean I can't guarantee that, but it sounds good, so...I'm going with it. :D

I want to write a story with heart. Mine! And if it's stupid then so be it. I will have written my very own stupid heart-based story. At last. I actually wrote quite a bit this week. I was fascinated with the chapter. I remembered why writing used to be fun. Because it was full of juice and had some passion behind it!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.