Need some MG recommendations

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
I read a LOT of MG, but a lot of it lately seems geared toward the higher end of the age range. I'm looking for male MC that might appeal to a ten-year-old whose native language is not English. I'm told his English is pretty good, but not sure of his comprehension level when reading English. Unfortunately, I don't know him personally, so have no idea of interests yet. I'm working rather blindly, but basically it's part of the new curriculum the school is using. Sort of sponsoring him and encouraging him throughout the year, but on a bit of an anonymous basis.

I'd appreciate any recommendations that might appeal to that age. Thanks so much!

Sissy

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
In general, you can't go wrong with things that are comedy and action, or comics for that matter. There are a lot of Marvel and DC novelizations for that age. Also, I've been impressed at what's coming out of James Patterson's Jimmy line.

If you're looking for a specific character, I dunno. Kids really love Alex Rider or any other kind of kid spy character.

coffeehunter

Registered
Reaction score
You might try non-fiction, too. Boys tend to enjoy that more, and it might help him explore his interests more.

BradCarsten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
My nephew just turned 9, and he loves Horrid Henry. He enjoys diary of a wimpy kid, and beano and asterix comics.

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
The Wimpy Kid books by Jeff Kinney might appeal - they're quite easy to read as there's a mixture of text and pictures. It's enjoyable by a wide range of age groups (mostly 8-12 but I rather enjoyed the one I read and I've got kids in their target age range*), and by confident readers and less confident readers alike.

*Yes I raid their bookshelves shamelessly :greenie

neandermagnon

Registered
Reaction score
My nephew just turned 9, and he loves Horrid Henry. He enjoys diary of a wimpy kid, and beano and asterix comics.

My younger daughter loves Horrid Henry. I've been a Beano and Asterix fan since childhood - my kids seem to rather like them too.

lolabelle

Registered
Reaction score
My 10 year old brother really loves the Wimpy Kid series, so I recommend that. He also loves the Captain Underpants books (something about saying underpants really makes him giggle). I'd also recommend the Roald Dahl books. They are usually very kid friendly, but may be more difficult for a new English speaker to read. If helping with English is a focus, I might suggest some of the ESL picture books that have both languages on the pages. The stories themselves will no doubt be beneath him, but they can be a great tool for learning language. I used them myself when I was learning German. Best of luck!

BradCarsten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
My younger daughter loves Horrid Henry. I've been a Beano and Asterix fan since childhood - my kids seem to rather like them too.

I've just started working my way through my Asterix collection again. They never get old. I would read that and beano to my nephew when he was about 5, and he would sit there laughing his head off at all the fart jokes. Normal people hand down antiques and rings, but I guess my beano collection is our family heirloom that will be passed down from generation to generation :ROFL:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Judging solely from library circulation, the Origami Yoda series (Tom Angleberger) might be a decent choice; they're not about Star Wars, but feature some characters in origami form. (Jeffrey Brown does some fun Star Wars-themed illustrated MG stories that might appeal if he's a fan of the franchise.)

And definitely look into comic books; the pictures might help understand the words if he has issues.

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to you all for the great selection of choices. Hadn't even thought about the Wimpy Kid series, or Captain Underpants, so shame on me. And I'm not familiar with beano or Horrid Henry, but I'll definitely check them out.

Again, thank you. I will check out all the choices mentioned, although I'm not sure about Roald Dahl. I love him, but I'll have to speak with the teacher first to see what her opinion is.

Sissy

neandermagnon

Registered
Reaction score
I've just started working my way through my Asterix collection again. They never get old. I would read that and beano to my nephew when he was about 5, and he would sit there laughing his head off at all the fart jokes. Normal people hand down antiques and rings, but I guess my beano collection is our family heirloom that will be passed down from generation to generation :ROFL:

My Beano collection from back in the day didn't make it... I think I literally read them to pieces. My Asterix collection's pretty tatty as well. I've had to replace a few due to them literally falling apart. I started reading Asterix when I was six but I'm pretty sure none of the copies I owned at that age made it to my present collection. The first Asterix book I ever read was Asterix and the Big Fight and that's one of the ones I've had to replace and the replacement is looking tatty... going to see how many of them survive prolonged contact with my kids, lol :greenie

My kids are 3rd generation Beano readers as both me and my dad subscribed to it as kids. But none of the actual comics we read survived... maybe we should've been a bit more careful because I'm sure the ones my dad read would be worth a lot nowadays, in good condition.

meltong

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Sissy,

Late to the question but if his English is good, then I wouldn't worry about it.
We all start off with low comprehension/vocabulary. His dual language may not be as a crutch as it may seem.

After Wimpy Kids, I would suggest diff route and to try Fablehaven. Female/male sibling combo with lots of adventure.

M