Edits for Self-Publishing?

Overkill

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I am going to go back and do an edited version of my first novel. My question is about formatting. If i choose to do it through Amazon again, do they actually do formatting? Can i send them my manuscript and they will add all of the formatting necessary? or is there some template I need to follow when writing the new version? I apologize if this did not belong here, but I was not sure where else to put it.

BradCarsten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
No, you have to do all the formatting yourself. Amazon has a great, if somewhat basic tool called Kindle Create. I'm putting together a small tutorial on my blog, and will post the link once it's done.

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
If you work on a Mac, there's a program called Vellum that supposedly does a wonderful job formatting ebooks (not a Mac user, so I don't know.) I believe you can also upload your ms. to Draft2Digital and it will spit out a MOBI formatted doc for you (and you don't have to upload through them.)

BradCarsten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I've finally finished.
Part 2: I cover preparing your manuscript for Kindle Create using Libre Office.
Part 3: I cover Kindle Create.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
Amazon is a retailer, not a publisher (unless you are contracted to their publishing imprints). If you are going through KDP (their self-publishing arm) they do nothing but pay you your part of royalties. Everything else is your responsibility.

Last edited:

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
No, you have to do all the formatting yourself. Amazon has a great, if somewhat basic tool called Kindle Create. I'm putting together a small tutorial on my blog, and will post the link once it's done.

That's nice of you to take the time to do this. :) I format my own books. When I first started self-publishing formatting intimidated me because it seemed harder than it actually turned out to be. Now it's so easy I don't even think twice when doing it. It's second-nature now.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I recently ran a kindle formatted book through Amazon's automatic formatting for KDP Print and was surprised to find it did a pretty good job.