SOLVED - Language Translation for Novels

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure this is the right forum, but I thought I'd start here.

My WIP will take place in Ireland, modern day. I am American, and I do not know many of the common words used in English spoken there compared to American English. For example, lift(Ireland)/elevator(America) or trolley(Ireland)/shopping cart(America).

If I write my book in American English, for the location I chose, will the publisher make me accountable for the translation (before submitting it), or will the publisher manage translation (for Irish readers and other readers around the world)?

My primary market is North America, but it may go international.

Thanks for any assistance.

Last edited:

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
translation isn't really the right word but yes, you should do your research and get beta readers. A publisher won't do it for you. Hence many american books published that are chock full of Americanisms (the worst one I've seen is British kids saying "Mommy", shudder).

The examples you cited are UK-wide but Ireland has its own specific set of dialects distinct from the rest of the country. Accents and dialects are extremely diverse in the UK, famously so given the relatively small land mass.

A lot of people in Ireland will also speak Irish Gaelic, codeswitching between that and Irish-English.

Is it Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland, out of curiosity?

Last edited:

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure this is the right forum, but I thought I'd start here.

My WIP will take place in Ireland, modern day. I am American, and I do not know many of the common words used in English spoken there compared to American English. For example, lift(Ireland)/elevator(America) or trolley(Ireland)/shopping cart(America).

A little research can go a long way; for instance, here's a beginning link. If your setting is Ireland, place your readers there and give them as much of the full cultural and language flavor as you can 'cause that's what they're looking for.

If I write my book in American English, for the location I chose, will the publisher make me accountable for the translation (before submitting it), or will the publisher manage translation (for Irish readers and other readers around the world)? My primary market is North America, but it may go international.

Thanks for any assistance.
Whatever your publisher may or may not do, your novel is an easier sell if you've done your basic homework. Anything less is lazy, to be honest.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Harlequin: My novel takes place in a rabbit-hole (high fantasy) world located in a remote area of the Republic of Ireland. In book one, little or no dialogue will exist between people of the ordinary world and the fantasy world. In other words, I'll only show how people enter into my world through magic. There will be a handful of these locations, for people to get an idea how broad the population came from. I'll have an international mix of characters and all speak English.

I plan on making some references to differences in Queen's vs. American vs. Irish English, but it will not be a focus in my WIP.

I've watched native, Irish YouTubers do videos and live streams for a few years now. I understand distinctions from rural and city people, and that the H sound is often left out of their speech (e.g. teeth sounds like teet). Thick, rural accents I will avoid. I'll use common sayings, such as "fair play" and so on. I plan to use common sayings that, from an American perspective, don't need translation. If examples do need translation I will add them (e.g. sláinte).

To recap, I'll have a mishmash of "English" speakers (not solely from Ireland) that learn to understand one another through clarification of an occasional language issue. This likely sounds absurd, but I'd rather keep the details out. I'll have cultural and language issues pop up, but communication problems are just a small issue I want to focus on (to make the environment more realistic for readers, as if it is a real-world issue that happens in a land where magic occurs).

I suppose I can pull a Rowling if I need to.... Enchanted spells prevented electricity at Hogwarts. Maybe an enchanted spell can solve major communication problems at my school. Worst-case scenario, I may work a believable angle of this into the mix.

Ari Meermans: Thank you for the link; I shall take a look! I agree; laziness is inexcusable. I spent about three years learning how Irish people speak (even an Irish person who changed her accent to the Queen's English when she moved to London). I did this watching YouTube videos and live streams. Thankfully, there are enough Irish people out there to offer a strong sampling!

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you both for responding. GREATLY appreciated!

I thought about it a little more.... I think I can use apotropaic magic to make communication issues go way.

Any thoughts against/for this practice?

I did some further research into this and found a happy solution to potential communication issues. Problem solved. Thanks everyone.

Last edited: