ISBNs

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm working on getting a chapbook ready to publish on Amazon Kindle and Createspace. I am aware that Amazon offers a free ISBN. I am also aware I could buy a small block of ISBNs elsewhere.

What are the pros and cons? Do I need to buy an ISBN? Or is it alright to just go with the free one? Right now I'm trying to do this as inexpensively as possible and do not see publishing the chapbook anywhere else at this time. Is publishing it elsewhere the only reason to have a separately purchased ISBN?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm working on getting a chapbook ready to publish on Amazon Kindle and Createspace. I am aware that Amazon offers a free ISBN. I am also aware I could buy a small block of ISBNs elsewhere.

What are the pros and cons? Do I need to buy an ISBN? Or is it alright to just go with the free one? Right now I'm trying to do this as inexpensively as possible and do not see publishing the chapbook anywhere else at this time. Is publishing it elsewhere the only reason to have a separately purchased ISBN?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Createspace is going away shortly, I believe. Everything will be transferred to KDP.

It is my understanding you only really need the ISBN if you're looking to sell somewhere other than Amazon, yes. ...With the caveat that it's just my understanding, though, and that doesn't reach too far :) But they are rather expensive, so if you're not expecting to use other services/sell through other outlets (Ingram requires them, for example), I don't think you need it?

Last edited:

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
I got my ISBN's for free through KDP, if there's a downside to that I've not experienced it.

BradCarsten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I got my ISBN's for free through KDP, if there's a downside to that I've not experienced it.
Are you sure it was an ISBN? As far as I know Amazon only issues AISN's, which are only recognised on Amazon. If you want to go wide, it wont affect you anyway because you will need to get a separate isbn for every other format( .epub, paperback, audio etc.) So if you ever want to go wide, you can look at ISBN's then

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
If you decide to publish in print through KDP, then they will assign you an ISBN for that print edition...but they will be listed as the publisher, not you. If you ever decide to offer a print edition through any other sales outlet then you will need to acquire your own ISBN.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, all.

Buz, I wasn't aware of the merger. Thank you.

Marissa, is there a problem with doing so at a later date? Or is it just a matter of more paperwork? Amazon being listed as publisher doesn't hurt the person self-publishing, does it? It doesn't take away any rights or anything?

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
I assume you're in the US? (Just wanted to check, because where I live, for example...ISBNs are free through the government.)

Last edited:

Lady Fox

Registered
Reaction score
If I were you, Ambrosia, I would invest and purchase your own ISBN and be listed as your own publisher. Why let someone else be listed as your publisher if you're self-publishing. I actually have no idea how having Amazon listed as publisher can affect your future works - if it even does at all - but why take the risk? There is also of course the fact that I have no idea how much you have to pay for an ISBN in the US. Here in NZ they are free so it's easy for me to say get your own - but honestly, even if they weren't fee (and I didn't know they were until I was ready to request one) then I would still have paid and kept everything in my name.

Best of luck with whichever you decide to do :)

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
An ISBN isn't required for publishing ebooks through KDP or Barnes and Noble or Kobo or Apple. As far as I know, you can assign ISBNs retroactively to your published ebooks (and you only need one per ebook--you do NOT need separate ISBNs for MOBI and EPUB formats). I'm not quite sure about adding one retroactively to a print book. Amazon doesn't take any rights, but I just like having me listed as publisher, not them. And I don't trust Amazon as far as I can throw 'em, so it just feels like a layer of protection from them. I'm probably being irrational, but there it is. :Shrug: Plus I have two editions of all my print books--one through Ingram, one through Amazon (because some bookstores and libraries are squeamish about ordering from Amazon), and that requires my own ISBN.

kevinwaynewilliams

Be blunt: I appreciate it
Registered
Reaction score
You will find that you cannot sell through brick-and-mortar stores with an Amazon ISBN. Just won't happen.

Realistically, as a self-publisher, you probably won't sell through brick-and-mortar stores anyway, but I see no reason to make that a certainty rather than a probability.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all so much. This publishing thing is difficult for me. It is a whole different mindset from writing. I am making progress and should be publishing the chapbook soon.

I appreciate all your feedback. I am still not sure about this chapbook and the ISBN, whether I will go with Amazon's ISBN on the print version or not. It is free and cost is a major factor for me at this time. I have learned in my research that I can at a later time put out a new edition of the print book and it would require a new ISBN. I may go with Amazon's at this time and then put out a new edition at a later date when finances are not such an issue. Getting this book published is a huge deal for me on many levels so I need to move forward and not be held back by lack of finances.

Thank you all again.