This philosophy professor shows how academic publishing is broken too

theorange

Rebellious philosopher
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.siftingtothetruth.com
He [link redacted] writes a delightful account[/URL] of trying to get a piece published.

Last edited by a moderator:

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
His pal reviewed it, the editor revealed the identity of that reviewer, and then the author approached the reviewer directly to argue with him? Dearie me.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Uh, academic publishing is "broken" because... people didn't just publish whatever he sent them without reviewing or editing it? What the hell? What is his complaint, besides that he seems to have no idea how publishing or much of anything else works?

People reviewed his stuff; even those who declined it offered him suggestions, connections, help -- he got free help all over the place, eventually published an oddly-sized very specific thing and academic publishing is "broken?"

What?

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Yeah, I'm seeing a guy with a specialized scholarly work that took some time to place and get published. That the system is slow doesn't make it broken.

I mean, it may very well be broken (I'm curious about what the "broken too" construct in the thread title is meant to imply), but I don't really see the evidence for that here.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I think the broken in this exchange is more on the side of the submitter here. Publishing is not an effortless or quick process generally speaking, academic or not. Like pretty much any other human activity.

Is academic publishing is a pretty dire situation? Yes, it is. But for reasons not even alluded to in that particular scenario.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I've removed the link; it's a very bad idea to link to a file that downloads, given the potential for malware.

ETA: It's also completely unacceptable to copy someone else's entire post.

Here's a post that contains a link to the original. The downloaded file is still on the other post; click at your own risk.

Last edited: