So close but no cigar.

PSkertich81

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
I'm not entirely sure how short story magazines work. But this morning I opened my email inbox and saw this beautiful rejection letter.

Dear Paul,

Many thanks for your interest in this project, and your patience while we made final decisions. With over 800 story submissions received, the process of forming a selection for the ‘Haunted House’ and ‘Cosy Crime’ volumes has kept us very busy over the recent weeks. The final choices were based on a number of factors – such as the mix of tales and presence of much older fiction in the books, the story length, and the need to retain the distinctive character of each anthology.

I'm afraid your story didn't make the final cut this time. We hope you're able to find another home for it, and look forward to seeing more of your work in the future. We’ll be opening for submissions to 2 new anthologies on 21st September, on the themes ‘American Gothic’ and ‘Urban Crime’ (the intended ‘Afrofuturism’ anthology has been postponed until next year). Please watch out for updates via our website and social media pages if you’d be interested in submitting to us again.

Best wishes,
(name withdrawn)

(name withdrawn)

I think the important keywords to look into this beautiful heart-felt rejection letter are: interested in submitting to us again, final cut this time, and look forward to seeing more of your work in the future.

So, when I did submit to short story magazines, I wouldn't receive an invite to submit again. Which tells me, they liked what they read but another short story was chosen over mine. Totally cool and acceptable.

APEX Magazine wrote me long time ago this:

Dear Paul C Skertich,

Thank you for submitting "Prank Gone Wrong" to Apex Magazine. We appreciate the chance to read it. Unfortunately, we don't feel it is a good fit for us and we're going to have to pass on it at this time.

Thanks again. Best of luck with this.

(name withheld)
Managing Editor
Apex Magazine

Much different from the invitational rejection letter. Sure, it's a personal rejection letter. When I read the response from the APEX Magazine, I knew I was on the right track. They weren't so keen on my short story, "Prank Gone Wrong", so they couldn't place it within their magazine. So, I targeted another magazine. In hopes, they would place it inside their magazine. It went along with the Haunted House magazine's theme.

Despite the great and loving rejection letters. When they stated final cut, they're referring to a selected few they like the most? Almost like America's Got Talent or the X-Factor? They narrow down the contestants in stages, right? I don't know how the whole fictional magazines work. But, the rejection letter is amazing news to my eyes.

Someone's probably thinking, "This guys loves rejection letters like someone loves cake." :) I would have to agree, it excites me. Why? Simple! It means to me that I'm getting one step closer to becoming accepted by a magazine or literacy agent. :) Any type of rejection is awesome news than no response at all. It gives us writers or authors something work on to sharpen our craft.

I love the idea that this forum is guided on helping other writers. I hope that my posts help motivate writers. If they do, awesome bean sauce!

Arden

Happy to be here!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure how short story magazines work. But this morning I opened my email inbox and saw this beautiful rejection letter.

I think the important keywords to look into this beautiful heart-felt rejection letter are: interested in submitting to us again, final cut this time, and look forward to seeing more of your work in the future.

So, when I did submit to short story magazines, I wouldn't receive an invite to submit again. Which tells me, they liked what they read but another short story was chosen over mine. Totally cool and acceptable.

APEX Magazine wrote me long time ago this:

Much different from the invitational rejection letter. Sure, it's a personal rejection letter. When I read the response from the APEX Magazine, I knew I was on the right track. They weren't so keen on my short story, "Prank Gone Wrong", so they couldn't place it within their magazine. So, I targeted another magazine. In hopes, they would place it inside their magazine. It went along with the Haunted House magazine's theme.

Despite the great and loving rejection letters. When they stated final cut, they're referring to a selected few they like the most? Almost like America's Got Talent or the X-Factor? They narrow down the contestants in stages, right? I don't know how the whole fictional magazines work. But, the rejection letter is amazing news to my eyes.

Someone's probably thinking, "This guys loves rejection letters like someone loves cake." :) I would have to agree, it excites me. Why? Simple! It means to me that I'm getting one step closer to becoming accepted by a magazine or literacy agent. :) Any type of rejection is awesome news than no response at all. It gives us writers or authors something work on to sharpen our craft.

I love the idea that this forum is guided on helping other writers. I hope that my posts help motivate writers. If they do, awesome bean sauce!

I think you may be reading WAY too much into the first rejection letter you quoted. What you've posted is the form rejection letter for FLAME TREE PRESS -- everybody who submitted gets the exact same letter. Indeed, it's nicely worded, and encouraging, but it's not personal. I think that may be the problem with such form letters -- they give the impression that they're personalized, but they're not.

Last edited:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I have to agree. That's just a kinder form letter.

PSkertich81

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Ah. Well, that's cool. I'll just continue to get better and better. Resubmit. It's nicely worded but beating around the bush doesn't help. My other rejection letter, I've posted is probably the same. Cool beans, bro! Thanks for your input. Check out the other rejection letter. It's the same, huh? One of those standard rejections, right?

Ellis Clover

watching The Office again
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, both pretty standard I'm afraid. When rejecting editors start referring to your characters by name, or to specific plot points, then you can get excited. :)

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I agree that rejections are better than nothing at all. So that's good you're getting responses! It means they've read and considered your work. So yes, I would say you're on the right track!

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, these both look like form letters to me. Sorry to burst your bubble but good luck and keep trying!