RIP: Burt Reynolds

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Passed away at 82

Burt Reynolds, one of Hollywood’s most popular leading men during the ’70s and early ’80s via such films as “Deliverance,” “Smokey and the Bandit, “The Longest Yard” and “Semi-Tough,” has died. His rep confirmed that he died Thursday in Jupiter, Fla. He was 82.
Reynolds’ appeal lay in his post-modern macho posture undercut by a wry self-awareness, which he used to good effect in comedies as well as action films. For a period during the ’70s he was the nation’s top box office draw. But after one too many bad movies, his popularity waned. He returned to television, where he’d gotten his start, mostly in Westerns, and produced his own sitcom, “Evening Shade,” which brought him an Emmy.
He later earned an Oscar nomination as best supporting actor in Paul Thomas Anderson’s ode to skin flicks, “Boogie Nights.”

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/burt-reynolds-star-deliverance-smokey-185417744.html

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know it shouldn't be a huge surprise when an 82-year-old dies, but it's still a shocker.

I didn't much care for the early screen persona, but by Boogie Nights he'd redeemed himself in my eyes.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Smoky and the Bandit and Cannonball Run formed a good portion of my childhood memories. I wish him and his family peace.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
First news I got of it. Thanks for sharing.

The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas was one of his films I enjoyed the most with him.

I wonder if Loni will say anything about him, publicly. Dolly has a nice message of him on her Twitter account (ended with "I Will Always Love You").

RIP Burt!

Last edited: