September 6: National Read A Book Day

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
You can read about National Read a Book Day here.

Sort of. It's not clear how it started or who started it; it's been a Twitter hashtag for a few years: #readabookday.

What books are you reading (listening to) today?

1. Mary Robinette Kowal. The Calculating Stars: A Lady Astronaut Novel *

2. J. K. Rowling. Harry Potter à L'école des Sorciers (Audio book)
I'm enjoying it, but I sometimes have to re-wind/go back and repeat bits.

3. Maryanne Wolf. Reader Come Home: The Fate of the Reading Brain in A Digital World. *

4.Stephen King. Lissey's Story.*

* AW Amazon Affiliate link.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
I usually have a mix of nonfiction and fiction going at the same time, too. This week, my reading selection is more heavily weighted toward nonfiction; next week, I'll probably be reading more fiction.

1.) Louise Penny. A Rule Against Murder.

2.) Thad Carhart. The Piano Shop on the Left Bank.

3.) Jordan Ellenberg. How Not to Be Wrong: The Power of Mathematical Thinking. (Frankly, I loathe the first part of the title. What it is is a book about using the principles learned in mathematics for better decision-making. "Mathematics is the extension of common sense by other means.")

4.) James Scott Bell. VOICE: The Secret Power of Great Writing. (Actually, I'm re-reading this one for perhaps the third time; it's just that good.)

5.) Mary Norris. Between You & Me: Confessions of a Comma Queen. (I have this one open all the blasted time 'cause, as is pretty much known around these parts, I have a hate-hate relationship with commas.)