What is the current state of the YA market?

screenscope

Registered
Reaction score
My daughter was fed up reading about teenaged angst and missing parents, so I wrote a SF action adventure with a girl MC (with both parents and a stable home). The two agents who read it passed, but I just signed a contract with a small publisher. It's not going to make me rich, but it's nice to find someone with enough faith to stump up some cash.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting Twitter thread. I have to agree that the Contemporary YA, though excellently done, has limited crossover appeal, while the Escapist YA is romance-heavy and all the same, and the more mature readers of it are getting tired of it. I also think that people are beginning to realize the previous crop of trendsetting YA books weren't really all that well-written. At least from the Booktubers I've seen.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My daughter was fed up reading about teenaged angst and missing parents, so I wrote a SF action adventure with a girl MC (with both parents and a stable home). The two agents who read it passed, but I just signed a contract with a small publisher. It's not going to make me rich, but it's nice to find someone with enough faith to stump up some cash.

:snoopy: That's fantastic.

My female MC is intelligent and educated, and her boyfriend is not her best quality. I can relate.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Yep, I've got two dead parents in my YA series, but they do make a ghostly appearance at the end of book 1 because they are responsible for laying down clues and riddles to get my teen group through an alternate world.

Other concerns that I think are relative to the industry is the danger, or the caution that should be used in writing outside your cultural box. On the one hand they covet cultural, race, ethnic and religious diversity. I'm all for that, and I incorporate it. Yet I get a bit wobbly when I read about these huge firestorms about new authors (supposedly) committing huge racist blunders, prompting those authors to pull their books. The presence of a reviewer is just as powerful as any other text on an Amazon page, or anywhere else for that matter. How easy is it to torpedo an author? A glass of wine and a temper can do it. I guess that's the reason for mentioning "sensitivity" readers in the RD article. So publishing YA today might be a wee tougher in that regard.

I did write A YA fantasy series. I don't have a huge message to convey. I didn't want to hit my reader over the head with a profound theme. For some reason I thought that teens, or even the cross-over adult readers, didn't want to hear a lecture or preachment about social mores, and that they might be tired of seeing it. Themes about real life are great and vital, but I picked up almost all of my life's lessons from Leave it to Beaver and they stayed with me. I read Divergent, The Hunger Games and the Potter books, and I did see messages there. I do have subtle ones, but I just wanted to write a kick-ass escapism with a hell's bells ride. I just hope there's room for me.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
My MC was originally going to have dead parents, but that felt too cliché, so I changed to her running away after the first chapter. They do meet during the climax however, and are discussed frequently. On the other hand, my MMC has one dead parent (that motivates the story, and one that's afraid of him because he's cursed.
It's really hard to figure out how to make a teenager do stuff without their parents always being there.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's really hard to figure out how to make a teenager do stuff without their parents always being there.
If it's magic or fantasy you can simply make the age of independence 16 instead of 18. In some cultures that is the case even without magic.