How To Support AW

AW is an Amazon Affiliate

Buy Scrivener 3 for macOS (Regular Licence)

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: What is the current state of the YA market?

Threaded View

What is the current state of the YA market?

I'm curious about it because I've seen a few conversations about it on twitter and wanted to know what you guys thought.

Some are saying that even established authors are struggling to get new deals and sales have stagnated. What's more, others speculate that there hasn't been a big hit** in a long time that would generate more sales in both the YA or MG markets (ala Twilight or Percy Jackson).

What do you guys think is going on? Do you think social media might have something to do with it? There's so many options now available that there are less chances for the kind of breakouts that invigorated the industry in the past?

I'm also curious because this seems to be happening right at the same moment when the industry seems more interested than ever looking for diversity to publish. This would be a heck of a time for the market to stagnate.

** By "big hit" I mean a world-wide global smash. Again, these are just comments and ideas I've seen being discussed on social media and I'm still just thinking through them (not necessarily agreeing) only because it's an interesting topic.
    Last edited by Roly; 09-06-2018 at 08:42 AM.
    The Effigies Series (YA Superhero Fantasy/Simon Pulse)
    FATE OF FLAMES (Book #1) coming November 22, 2016
    Add on: Goodreads

Purchase Links and Synopsis

Feather Bound (YA Magical Realism/Strange Chemistry Books/Spring 2014):
    *Now available.*
    Add on: Goodreads
    Purchase Links and Sample Chapter

My twitter is real.

As is my website!