Current goal: three more chapters

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustinLadobruk

Registered
Reaction score
I wrote three chapters of a novel (approx. 12,000 words) then wrote a short story involving the life of one of the characters prior to the novel. I just now finished doing a few revisions to chapters 1 and 2. Next comes three more chapters before a second short story.

Another goal is to get better at understanding critique. Not accepting it, that's the easy part; understanding it. I have an excellent beta reader that has been the cause for several major revisions, but feedback I got when posting to Reddit was very contradictory. I got a positive review in the science fiction sub; praise for use of an accent and mild critiques that may or may not be useful from the general writers sub (depends on how one prefers emotion being conveyed, I believe); but then in the fantasy writers sub, the whole story was outright ignored over either the accent that I got praise for elsewhere, or for a character description in paragraph four (out of 5300 words), right after said character saved the MCs life. Interestingly, no one that read the full story had any complaint about that paragraph, only those that refused to read it. It seems that a great deal of critique is very opinion based and may lack actual use depending on what I myself am trying to convey, and seems to depend a great deal on the desires of an individual reader; IE, I may have reached a point where "better" has started to become too subjective to be worthwhile in far too many cases, in which case I need to learn to figure out what is useful to me and what is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.