Trump Suggests Protesting Should be Illegal in the USA

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
President Donald Trump appeared to suggest that protesting should be illegal in the U.S. on Tuesday after Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh was greeted by protesters on the first day of his confirmation hearing. In an interview with the Daily Caller, Trump said: "I don't know why they don't take care of a situation like that." "I think it's embarrassing for the country to allow protesters. You don't even know what side the protesters are on," he said, adding: “In the old days, we used to throw them out. Today, I guess they just keep screaming.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-suggests-protesting-should-be-illegal-in-us/ar-BBMV6qn

The man is a total fascist. We're in dangerous waters with this fellow, and there is literally nothing he could do that would surprise me. If he is impeached or simply loses an election in 2020, he will not leave office peacefully. How can people support such a monster? I don't get it.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So he is against his own rallies then. :evil

:rant:

He's a jerk. These kinds of statements are meant to get publicity.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
The man is a total fascist.

Nope. He's a narcissist (*). There is no twisted political logic at work here. Trump is addicted to what makes him look good and ferociously slaps down what makes him look bad.

Given this week's news cycle I'd say he's about due for yet another rally in which he indulges himself with the 2016 election results.

-cb

( * )

REF: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/06/the-mind-of-donald-trump/480771/

George Simon, a clinical psychologist who conducts seminars on manipulative behavior, says Trump is “so classic that I’m archiving video clips of him to use in workshops because there’s no better example” of narcissism. “Otherwise I would have had to hire actors and write vignettes. He’s like a dream come true.”

Bit of warning here. Can't put a diagnosis on Trump; ethics, Goldwater rule, and that Trump himself doesn't seem to be negatively affected by it.

REF: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article132860614.html

Last edited:

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
I'd very much be interested in Kavanaugh's opinion on the legality of protesting...

...and Trump is so very Putin.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I'd very much be interested in Kavanaugh's opinion on the legality of protesting...

Now, we can't force a nominee to engage in hypotheticals like that. :sarcasm

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Nope. He's a narcissist (*). There is no twisted political logic at work here. Trump is addicted to what makes him look good and ferociously slaps down what makes him look bad.

The two (being a narcissist and being a fascist) aren't mutually exclusive. Trump may not yet be espousing the full-blown flavor, but he's definitely an authoritarian with some leanings in that direction. If the rest of the government lets him go down that path, he very well might.

Did anyone else think the "in the old days, we used to throw them out" part to be a bit odd. Not only because it's not true of government, but because of the "we" part. Trump wasn't part of government until two years ago, so I don't know where that particular pronoun comes from.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Did anyone else think the "in the old days, we used to throw them out" part to be a bit odd. Not only because it's not true of government, but because of the "we" part. Trump wasn't part of government until two years ago, so I don't know where that particular pronoun comes from.

He's revising history again, priming his base to approve a massive curtailing of civil rights, which he'll convince them never actually existed.

Are we really this inured to danger signs at this point? I can't be the only one who finds this hair-raising.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
He's revising history again, priming his base to approve a massive curtailing of civil rights, which he'll convince them never actually existed.

Are we really this inured to danger signs at this point? I can't be the only one who finds this hair-raising.

Well, I mean, I have made a couple of threads about this sort of thing, so you aren't the only one.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
...and Trump is so very Putin.

No, he's not mentally stable enough to be a true Putin.

But he's trying. He admires men like him (and Erdogan, and KJU, and even historical despots like Hitler I suspect) and aspires to be them, but frankly lacks the capacity to do so on multiple levels. In the meantime, those indulging his tantrums and authoritarian fantasies are doing irreparable damage to the nation they supposedly swore an oath to protect from enemies foreign and domestic.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
No, he's not mentally stable enough to be a true Putin.

But he's trying. He admires men like him (and Erdogan, and KJU, and even historical despots like Hitler I suspect) and aspires to be them, but frankly lacks the capacity to do so on multiple levels. In the meantime, those indulging his tantrums and authoritarian fantasies are doing irreparable damage to the nation they supposedly swore an oath to protect from enemies foreign and domestic.

This is exactly it. Trump is not the problem. The problem is the controlling party eager to enact his every whim.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nope. He's a narcissist (*). ... Given this week's news cycle I'd say he's about due for yet another rally in which he indulges himself with the 2016 election results.
Pretty much this. ^

... Bit of warning here. Can't put a diagnosis on Trump; ethics, Goldwater rule, and that Trump himself doesn't seem to be negatively affected by it....
Not to debate that here but both the Goldwater Rule and the opinion put forth by one of the DSM-V editors that Trump isn't suffering are not a consensus among professionals.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The two (being a narcissist and being a fascist) aren't mutually exclusive. Trump may not yet be espousing the full-blown flavor, but he's definitely an authoritarian with some leanings in that direction. If the rest of the government lets him go down that path, he very well might.
Not only are they not mutually exclusive, being a sociopath and a narcissist are probably common traits among fascist dictators.

Much of what Trump appears to experience is fantasy. But it wouldn't surprise me if he isn't conflating his fantasy memory with what he admires among the dictators he knows (Putin, Dutarte, Saudi Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman, Xi, Erdogan...).

NY Mag: Trump’s Favorite World Leaders Are All Male Dictators

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is exactly it. Trump is not the problem. The problem is the controlling party eager to enact his every whim.

Oh gawd yes! And his followers, and the failure of the Democrats to win enough seats in Congress.

I do hope that will change and we can restore the country to normalcy soon. And if we do get a majority in both the House and the Senate, I do hope Democrats will take the gloves off and stop acting timid.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Sadly a larger group of people than I would have ever imagined think things are going well.

Last edited:

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
My {expletive} brothers-in-law literally broke out a "But her e-mails--!" this past weekend. They also think the Cheato is good for business even if "he's a moron, sure!".

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Not to debate that here but both the Goldwater Rule and the opinion put forth by one of the DSM-V editors that Trump isn't suffering are not a consensus among professionals.

The problem is not whether professionals can or cannot diagnose a public personality without an interview and publish the results, or get a consensus on the DSM-V list of criteria.

The problem is what GRU shrinks are telling Putin about how to best manipulate Trump.

-cb

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
T

No, the 'we' isn't odd at all.
He doesn't mean government - he means rich old white guys. The 'we' who forcibly relocated inconvenient Indian tribes, who used government troops to break strikes and civil rights protests, and bully-boys to harass competitors and drag protestors out of buildings so they could be beaten in back alleys.
The 'we' who are 'his' kind of people.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
So he is against his own rallies then. :evil

:rant:

He's a jerk. These kinds of statements are meant to get publicity.
Trouble is, how do you tell the difference between 'publicity seeking' and 'testing the waters' aka 'planting the thought'?

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But if you're protesting with a gun...?

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Trouble is, how do you tell the difference between 'publicity seeking' and 'testing the waters' aka 'planting the thought'?

IIRC, this isn't the first time the idea has been mentioned, of curbing right to protest (much as Russia has done, coincidence of coincidences), so I don't think there really is a line between "publicity seeking" and "water testing" at this point - it's both an attention grabber and an idea they are interested in actively pursuing (see also: wanting to emulate successful authoritarians.)

But if you're protesting with a gun...?

I think this is the TeaOP equivalent of the Zen question about one hand clapping.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
He's not testing the waters, he lives in an alt-world where the universe revolves around him. "We used to throw them out" is simply part of his delusional thinking. Todays he's on about saying CNN and the NY Times would be out of business without him (Trump stories).

It's ludicrous. But I'm pretty sure Trump fluctuates between the state cbenoi1 described
Given this week's news cycle I'd say he's about due for yet another rally in which he indulges himself with the 2016 election results.
and when he's high on himself like he is this evening, he shores up his ego with imagining his enemies failing all around him.

If you understand the pathology of narcissism as severe as Trump's is, his behavior makes more sense. If you imagine he's an evil genius and all this is calculated, you'll start seeing all kinds of plot holes in that explanation.

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
USA 101: Land of the Free.

When the actual President doesn't know what freedom means, the USA has failed at being the USA.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I think it comes back to the concept of the trial runs of fascism explored in this thread:

https://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?337660-The-Trial-Runs-of-Fascism

Agreed.

Whether or not he was just spouting random BS, someone either planted that statement in his head, or is now thinking "Hm, good idea!"

Look for your GOP acquaintances to start explaining to you that protesting was always, strictly speaking, illegal, and he's just calling for enforcement of current laws.