Kavanaugh SCOTUS confirmation hearings and beyond.

Ketzel

Leaving on the 2:19
Registered
Reaction score
So, I didn't watch the hearing, but didn't he loose his cookies right at the start, and not after hours of grilling?
Nope, he lost 'em the night before, when he sat down and wrote the over-the-top, screeching opening statement that he was READING to the committee from the beginning. Apparently, one night wasn't enough for him to gain some control, re-read his opus, and consider whether he might express himself with less venom and bias.

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
ABC News reporting this morning that, on the basis of the Cloture vote, Kavanaugh will pass the appointment vote.

Despite the wide-ranging protests from legal professions.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
ABC News reporting this morning that, on the basis of the Cloture vote, Kavanaugh will pass the appointment vote.

Despite the wide-ranging protests from legal professions.

Saw that coming...

Wish I didn't, but I did.

One can fairly accurately predict how things are going to go by taking the worst case scenario and dialing it up to 11 these days.

Larry M

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Be prepared for an immediate pay-off via Gamble v US, wherein Kav will be the vote that decides that a Presidential pardon applies to all jurisdictions at once.

Amazing how the GOP, the party of small government, is continually stealing state's rights.

This Slate article suggests it may not be as bad as many of us were thinking.

Teri Kanefield and Jed Shugerman wrote:

"At this stage, Gamble will not help Manafort, Cohen, and Flynn, and it probably won’t help any significant cooperating witness."

and:

"Courts should find that self-serving pardons are a violation of the president’s oath to faithfully execute his office."

We'll see...

Last edited:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
This is exhausting. I had already made my peace last Friday with the worst person I can think sitting on the bench (after years of having my expectation surpassed on how bad a Supreme Court justice can be), now I gotta do it again while being even angrier. At least this puts into focus how bad and reactionary SCOTUS had been at least during my lifetime, and, with some momentary lapses into decency, potentially much, much longer. This is simply the culmination of what we've been watching play out for quite some time now.

gem1122

We can pickle that
Registered
Reaction score
So, I didn't watch the hearing, but didn't he loose his cookies right at the start, and not after hours of grilling?

He did. I was taking into account the several days of hearings earlier in the month.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Listening to Collins rerun of today's speeches. She's a firm yes, it's no doubt.

She's ignoring his partisanship, the assault allegations and his lying to the committee. She's going strictly by his past rulings and all the things he told her in their private meeting, which she's portraying in the best light.

Last edited:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Welp, it's my special lady's special birthday this weekend, and we were hoping to do something fun. Protesting is kind of fun, I guess. Looks like the wall of 'I believe Anita Hill' posters at my house is now the 'I believe Anita Hill and Christine Blasley Ford' wall. Nothing like sprucing up the house to make you feel better about the world.

:rant::rant::rant:

Surprised about Murkowski, tho, ultimately it was all about Collins and Flake, who made up their minds a while ago.

M.S. Wiggins

"The Moving Finger writes..."
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
if the "wimmen-deficit" hits a 30-point advantage for dems in the midterms, expect an absolute fuck-ton of pearl-clutching and "we need to stop being the party of stupid" (Remember Jindal saying that, like a year before he went so all-in that he flamed out in Louisiana as being too batshit?) sound-bytes as the republicans try to realign.

also expect those to be just that--sound-bytes. they will continue to ignore women's rights, just finding new ways to explain how their hands are tied, they're actually giving you MORE power, or whatever spin they apply. The republican party is lost in the wilderness for at least a decade, the question is how many people they can drag along with them...

… I hope this happens, but I'm not holding my breath. I expect a gender gap, but it likely won't be as huge as people are predicting. It never is. Women are statistically more likely to defect from their own civil rights movement than members of other groups. If there's anything like a blue wave in Nov, I suspect it will also be because members of other groups who are being abused by GOP policies turn out the vote as well.

The GOP had been lost in the wilderness for decades (as far as the rights of anyone who isn't white, straight, wealthy, male and fundamentalist are concerned). It's been working pretty well for them overall, so why would they change? They've lost election cycles before, but the country always swings back in the next one.

again, vote...….no reason not to talk here, but anyone who does and isn't also submitting a ballot.....

You know what’s interesting? A century hasn’t yet passed since women gained the constitutional right to vote; the nineteenth amendment was adopted in 1920. Let’s make it a centennial worth voting for... and worth turning the tides toward future generations of women in politics who know exactly how to manage a nation of liberty and democracy. Vote. Don't be ashamed if you haven't shown up at the voting polls in a while; it's never too late to stand for what you believe in.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
This Slate article suggests it may not be as bad as many of us were thinking.

Mmh-hmm... and "he will surround himself with good people," I'm sure.

I've been hearing the "it may not be as bad as many of us were thinking" song since 2016, and somehow it has been. It always has been as bad. Even worse.

Fingers crossed that this time it isn't, though crossed fingers are somewhere in the "thoughts and prayers" order of effectiveness.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
That one case may not have the impact that some fear. But there will be other cases, and there are other cases working their way through the courts, that are increasingly being stacked with ultra-conservatives who want to roll back civil rights protections and create the theocracy they've been teaching their kids (homeschooling, using textbooks that leave omit Helen Keller and Hillary Clinton, but include Moses, pointing to "God" on our money and in the pledge) we were always meant to be.

That one case may not do all some fear, but we're heading in a bad direction. It is dire. I don't know how we come back from where it's all going. I'll never give up, but I am terrified for this country and for the people more vulnerable than I am.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
She's ignoring his partisanship, the assault allegations and his lying to the committee. She's going strictly by his past rulings and all the things he told her in their private meeting, which she's portraying in the best light.

She is the Charlie Brown of politicians, and they know it.

Larry M

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Mmh-hmm... and "he will surround himself with good people," I'm sure.

I've been hearing the "it may not be as bad as many of us were thinking" song since 2016, and somehow it has been. It always has been as bad. Even worse.

Fingers crossed that this time it isn't, though crossed fingers are somewhere in the "thoughts and prayers" order of effectiveness.

The article suggests that the notion that trump can pardon everyone in sight may be wrong.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
The article suggests that the notion that trump can pardon everyone in sight may be wrong.

Will pardons (or lack thereof) matter if the entire judicial system is beholden to the TeaOP?

This is my fear: Mueller walks in with an iron-clad case against the regime, the defense shrugs and winks and say "did not," and the compromised justices wink back and say "case dismissed."

And that's just on the collusion matter.

As Lyv pointed out, there are a metric snerkload of cases working their way up the increasingly-stacked courts to the SCOTUS that will directly - and potentially detrimentally - affect many of us. With K on the bench, it's almost a given how they will be ruled before the first word of opening arguments is spoken. This is a generation of damage (at least) set in motion, today.

The "it may not be as bad as you think" argument... sorry, but for some of us it may well be worse.

(Not saying this against you specifically, of course - it's just the sentiment is getting a little stale after so many fists to the face from this regime.)

Last edited:

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If ever there was a week to get enraged at people who still say, “Both parties are the same”, this has been it.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
If you want to see a Holocaust historian's opinion on just how much worse we could very conceivably be in for, take a look at Christopher R. Browning's piece in The NYT Review of Books, The Suffocation of Democracy, including this gem.

If the US has someone whom historians will look back on as the gravedigger of American democracy, it is Mitch McConnell. He stoked the hyperpolarization of American politics to make the Obama presidency as dysfunctional and paralyzed as he possibly could. As with parliamentary gridlock in Weimar, congressional gridlock in the US has diminished respect for democratic norms, allowing McConnell to trample them even more. Nowhere is this vicious circle clearer than in the obliteration of traditional precedents concerning judicial appointments. Systematic obstruction of nominations in Obama’s first term provoked Democrats to scrap the filibuster for all but Supreme Court nominations. Then McConnell’s unprecedented blocking of the Merrick Garland nomination required him in turn to scrap the filibuster for Supreme Court nominations in order to complete the “steal” of Antonin Scalia’s seat and confirm Neil Gorsuch. The extreme politicization of the judicial nomination process is once again on display in the current Kavanaugh hearings.

Vox has a slightly shorter tl:dr version.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Whereas I just read that Murkowski is a "No" vote.

I turn out to be wrong in my earlier comments predicting Murkowski would go along with a Yes vote. But I won't give her a blank check of credit for this. I don't think she came to this conclusion until she was sure it wouldn't matter, and she wouldn't be the one sinking the nomination. In fact, I think it's possible she may have colluded with Collins to split their votes, once it became clear that the nomination would pass even if one of them voted No. Murkowski has been under serious public heat up here in Alaska ever since the Kavanaugh nomination was made, and she was feeling it. So now she achieves some political cover without affecting anything. Methinks McConnell probably knew all about this, too, and may have even thrown a few drops of Senatorial holy water on it. He wasn't about to risk another John McCain moment, like the one a year-plus ago where McCain came in to cast the deciding vote on killing ACA, and famouly turned his thumb down.

caw

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
If you want to see a Holocaust historian's opinion on just how much worse we could very conceivably be in for, take a look at Christopher R. Browning's piece in The NYT Review of Books, The Suffocation of Democracy, including this gem.

Vox has a slightly shorter tl:dr version.

I've been seeing plenty of books about the rise of Nazism and the threats to American democracy going through the library shipping center lately (easily outnumbering the times I see the books on "God's President" or the charming little manual on introducing kids to "white racial literacy." But, then, I've also seen the Last Week Tonight Marlon Bundo picture book a heck of a lot more than I've seen the official Pence one... but I digress.) The playbook is not new, nor is the end result. Heck, they've barely changed the names. Unfortunately, every generation rediscovers the classics in their own time - and, apparently, the hard way...

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So far, Kavanaugh is just the alt-right shill we were warned he was.

Daily Kos:
On his first day of arguments, during just one case—Nielsen v. Preap—Kavanaugh tried to speak at the same time as other justices—despite the tradition of new justices deferring to established justices—and interrupted each of the lawyers twice. ...

Kavanaugh didn’t so much ask questions as make statements. The types of statements that should have come from the government’s attorney, not a justice. When he did ask questions—well, here’s an example of a “question”:

Is that presumption based on what we think was really going through Congress's mind at the time or is it based on a constitutional overlay, because what was really going through Congress's time [sic] in 1996 was harshness on this topic. Is that not right?​

Kavanaugh didn’t even pretend he possesses the independence required for a justice.

Neil Gorsuch, by contrast, pivoted back to Justice Stephen Breyer’s question when he felt it had gone unanswered, and made queries that, unlike Kavanaugh’s, didn’t presume an outcome. His questions were also consistent with conservative legal beliefs—as distinguished from partisan policy positions.

For example, Gorsuch asked whether, in the event the government had been aware of an immigrant eligible for mandatory detention for 30 years and chosen not to act, it could still take that person into custody 30 years later. In other words, “Is there any limit on the government’s power?”

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
So far, Kavanaugh is just the alt-right shill we were warned he was.

Daily Kos:

Gee, what a surprise. This is me, being surprised.

They aren't even trying to hide it anymore, how they're destroying the very ideals on which the country was built. Because they literally have all the power and they don't have to.

If November doesn't generate a blue tsunami - and, looking at Georgia and other places where fingers are already on the scales and nothing is being done about it, I can't say I'm taking that as a given - America is over.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
The FBI keeps detailed notes on the Kavanaugh case, including what it was ordered by the WH to investigate, skip, or report. If the House turns blue expect all those notes to be examined and potentially made public, including Trump's tax filings.

-cb