Coagents, the author, and foreign markets

Atlantic12

Registered
Reaction score
Could anybody tell me what your experiences were with this?

We're pre-sub (I still have some last-minute edits!). My UK agent just got back from NY and started some buzz about my book (very exciting!!!), but since it's harder to categorize -- not genre or literary -- she thinks a US coagent might get the book a better deal than she could. I understand the commission is then split etc. I'm just wondering about how authors work with coagents in other markets, if in that market the agenting relationship becomes a "threesome"? Or would I deal with that agent only in that market? I think it has to do with who helps shepherd the book through the publishing process in that market, but I just wanted to inform myself a bit before allowing my agent to send the manuscript to prospective coagents. :)

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
It's common (usual, to be honest) to only deal with your own agent.

You shouldn't have to worry about how commission would be split: you'd pay 15% on home deals and 20% on foreign and translation sales, same as ever; your agent would handle who gets paid what.

However, the main point to be made here is you have an agent. Your agent has suggested a co-agent. You should ask her how all this is going to work, because she's the only person who really knows.

Atlantic12

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Old Hack. She's clarified some of it in a mail and we're talking Thursday. I just wondered if there's anything special I should know.