Planning a sequel to a YA novel, which isn't YA anymore

Elenitsa

writing as Marina Costa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
caribbeandawn1720.jcink.net
Some people say I shouldn't, but the story wants to be told. And it makes sense: people aren't going to be teenagers forever. They grow up. And even those who have screwed up once, have their opportunities to make things right. Nothing is unsalvageable, as long as there is the will to change (and some support for it). This is also a powerful message, not only the coming of age.

On the other side, I heard that if the two novels can be read one without the other, developing the characters in their own independent way, it is OK. Which is how my novels are going to be. The characters who were once teenagers don't have the same personality when they are 40. They have grown up. They have suffered. So the sequel will show them as they are at the maturity age.

The idea had just come to me recently, and it started growing with details. One would say that I am still in love with the characters after completing the first novel. I might be, it is nothing wrong with it. The first novel (in this sort of duo) had been written decades ago (like the other 3 in my signature, which are already published) and polished now for publishing. The sequel will be written next year (as first I have others to finish, and the story, which has just dawned on me, has time to ripe, while I have time to research). Contemporary romance is not my strong point, but I think I can make it.

A secondary character who was in high school and recently graduating high school in the main part of my first novel (which has 2 last chapters, with the value of a sort of an epilogue, showing how the years have passed and it ends with a scene 20 years later) can have their redemption arc in a second novel, starting one year after the moment the first novel had ended. Some characters' stories had been told and completed. This secondary character's has redemption potential in another story, which will be a mature romance (mature not as in explicit, because none of my writings is explicit. There are sweet romances too. But mature as in the second chance at happiness offered by life to a 40 years old man).

Well, some people said I can't make it. Should I prove them wrong?

Elenitsa

writing as Marina Costa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
So please, prove them wrong and clear a path for me, OK?

I will write it. Until I have time to sit down and write this actual story, I'll do all the research and note down all the ideas, so that writing will come smoothly and the story will be already "ripe" by then.

Unfortunately, this wouldn't clear a path for you, because we aren't swimming in the same waters, neither writing in the same language, as you can see from my already published novels in my signature.

I wish you good luck! And yes, write the story which wants to be written! People interested in reading it, exist somewhere...

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
I agree that you should write it. It sounds like you really love the characters and that is what will make readers love them, too.

Good luck :D

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Just because you have a YA-aged MC doesn't necessarily mean the book or the series need to be YA.

Pierce Brown's Red Rising series starts with what could be a YA book on MC age - he starts aged 16, which by his culture is actually an adult given short lifespans - and I've seen that some places may have marketed it as YA, but it was not a YA book, and the rest of the series is not a YA series. (Does that mean YA readers can't read it? Of course not. It just means that it's not marketed that way, because it doesn't fit the expectations that market creates.)

Scythian

Registered
Reaction score
I'd say The Hobbit and LOTR are also in different age categories.
And people tell me there's some sort of growing up happening in the Harry Potter serial as well.

Elenitsa

writing as Marina Costa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Young characters doesn't have to mean YA book.

Sparverius' sf novel follows a fourteen year old, but he's an adult in later mss.

The first novel, the one which will appear next month the latest, titled "The Crew", IS YA, dealing with high school characters for the most of the novel and their coming of age dilemmas (first love triangles, family conflicts, hard choices on morality, friendships, forbidden love, unrequited love, etc.) The last two (short) chapters show them growing up, as a glimpse on the future with a value of an epilogue (who married whom, what profession they chose, how many children they had and who were the godparents).

The sequel I am planning (not sure about the title yet) is a regular romance with main characters around 40. It won't have anything hindering YA readers to read it (i.e. nothing explicit their mothers wouldn't want them to read), but it can't be targeted towards them, because the protagonists are adults with emotional luggage. Exactly, the characters grew up and they are dealing with life and a new love.

It will start one year later than the epilogue, ie 20 years after the actual story from "The Crew", being a second-chance romance ("one can start life anew at 40"), having as main characters two secondary characters from "The Crew" (the "third wheel" unrequited love from the love triangle and another of the first novel's main characters' friends). The one who put distance between himself and the love of his life, who was getting married with the other one, is returning 20 years later to his native city, to start life anew there, among his relatives. The former love, now a mother of 4 children aged from Uni to middle school, will be there too, sparringly mentioned and not for a romantic conflict, but still to help him reintegrate in the city life).

Rather her 20 years old twins, who are "his godsons" (one named after him, one after his sister, who had renounced the Devil for them in the church) would be more recurring characters in his new life. Another of his sister's friends (also friend of the initial love interest and a widow herself) will be his new love interest. It won't be an easy relationship. There will be denial. There will be a few months of long distance relationship. Once together, people will gossip because they "aren't matching" (she having a PhD, he only vocational school).

So, as themes, second chances, redeeming, forbidden love.

Last edited:

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
DO IT!

If you are self/independently publishing this series, then take the chance on creativity while you have your own permission. You needn't be limited by genre, and who knows, maybe kids want to know "what happens"

bleacher1099

Dystopian, it's what's for dinner.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
yupireadthat.com
If YA is the genre you identify most with, then go for it! Sara J. Maas' series Throne of Glass starts out YA, but definitely gets more into adult fantasy as the books go on. Pierce Brown's The Red Rising Saga begins as a YA MC and ends with all adult characters but is found in the YA section. You do what you feel is best and stick with it!

LucidCrux

Write like there's no tommorowe.
Registered
Reaction score
Does it need to be marketed as a sequel? Can it just be a stand alone, and if people who read the first want to read it, fine? Just because it shares a universe doesn't mean it has to be a "sequel," exactly, since it doesn't seem you're focusing on exactly the same set of people. It could just mean you have a lot of backstory to work with.

Elenitsa

writing as Marina Costa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Does it need to be marketed as a sequel? Can it just be a stand alone, and if people who read the first want to read it, fine? Just because it shares a universe doesn't mean it has to be a "sequel," exactly, since it doesn't seem you're focusing on exactly the same set of people. It could just mean you have a lot of backstory to work with.

If it is in the same universe, with some of the same characters, to me it is a sequel, even if it is a stand-alone book (and the previous one can be a stand-alone too). But some are books within the same series (or one happens some time after another, ie a sequel) and they are stand alone too, so it is possible. Clive Cussler's, for example, are both series and stand alones (ie one can read one without the other, but the experience is enhanced when reading all).

Yes, there is some backstory to work with, and this makes them interesting and connected :) But each novel can be read independently. I'll have to think about the marketing... I think mentioning both of them when the second one will appear wouldn't hurt.

Last edited: